Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Substance Painter Low Resolution Textures

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I've recently been working on texturing my model, however I noticed that my textures are low quality. Is there anyway to fix this? The resolution is 2048x2048, the preset is Unreal Engine 4 and the texel density is around 85%. Below are the pictures of the texture. The reason that I want these textures to look better, but don't mind the wheels and parts around that is the reason that the "platform" and the cabin will be accessable which will mean that players will be able to look closely at the textures

TheAshi_0-1689869254405.pngTheAshi_1-1689869275421.pngTheAshi_2-1689869304541.pngTheAshi_3-1689869340005.png

TheAshi_4-1689869378024.png

TOPICS
Baking , Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

There is nothing wrong with your model as such, or the unwrap.  But, if you look at the last two screenshots in your first post, the area taken up by the closest panels (i.e. half the 3D viewport) takes up around 10% width and 10% height of your UV texture in the model you attached. So at 2048 x 2048 px resolution, when viewed that close,  half the viewport is taken up by just 200 x 200 texels.

You can check this for yourself by adding a temp layer and drawing a bright coloured line around the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @TheAshi,

Thanks for the message.

There are several solutions for a better texture resolution:

• You optimize the UV maps. I haven't seen a lot of your UVs, so I don't know if it's necessary, but you could try to pack/reshape all the islands to gain some space. 

• You simply increase the size of the Texture sets (e.g. from 2048 to 4096).

Texture set size.png

Let me know if the explanation was too vague.

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

thank You for Your response, but unfortunately these methods (at least for me) didn't work. I've tried repacking and optimizing my UV, and unfortunately it didn't work. Increasing the texture sets, while getting a bit less pixelated, still doesn't fix the problem. I've tried UV tiles right now, and unfortunately, it didn't fix. I don't know if it'll help, but I can provide the mesh that I have problem with. If its necessary, here it is, made in Blender 3.6 and packed with the help of the UV-Packer addon, with the settings of UV Sheet: 2048, UV Packing Engine Type: High Quality and the rotation of 90.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe we're not thinking about the same thing when mentioning low quality textures. If you're talking about the texture resolution, and you feel like your bitmaps could have more pixels, the method listed above are solutions.

Material definitino.gif

With that being said, I'm now uncertain what's bothering you in your project. Could you highlight me on one of the screenshots the issue, so I can have a better idea on how to help you?

Let me know,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing wrong with your model as such, or the unwrap.  But, if you look at the last two screenshots in your first post, the area taken up by the closest panels (i.e. half the 3D viewport) takes up around 10% width and 10% height of your UV texture in the model you attached. So at 2048 x 2048 px resolution, when viewed that close,  half the viewport is taken up by just 200 x 200 texels.

You can check this for yourself by adding a temp layer and drawing a bright coloured line around the problem area in the 3D viewport. Now look at the UV and see what area that is using.

If you really need to view that close, what you might want to do is use a UDIM workflow and separate out those areas that will be viewed closely onto their own tiles where you can increase the resolution and add detail.

davescm_0-1689948913161.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

thank You for the help, I now understand. I'll try the UDIM method like You said. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources