Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tri-Planar Projection UV Seams issue

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone, 
I ran into an issue with Substance Painter.
I am projecting a texture on my character model with Tri-planar however it still somehow reads the UV seams of my model and that results in, well... seams. Please see attached image.
Is there a way to get get Tri-Planar to work as intended?

*For instance, when using Tri-Planar in Redshift, it will ignore the original model's UVs and I wouldn't have this issue. Example Attached.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes , UV Tiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

It is not a question of taking it into consideration, if the same size areas on the model take up significantly different size areas on the UV then, whatever resolution the exported maps are set to, those areas are going to look different.

One thing you could do though is to take advantage of the ability to set Painter to set different UV tiles, using the UDIM workflow, to different output resolutions. So, for example, the same material can use 4K on tile 1 and 1k on tile 2

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a significant difference in texel density between those two areas i.e a big difference in scale on the UV map? The issue in your pic looks more like the texture being applied evenly (i.e seamlessly) using tri-planar but in a much lower resolution at the back of the head.

I can simulate that on a simple sphere where I have scaled two quarters one up and one down in the UV map. Tri-planar applies the texture seamlessly but the seam becomes visible because of the differing texel density.

2022-10-23_23-06-36.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply Dave!
This is exactly the case, the texel densities have an x4 difference. I can, of course, fix it in my 3D application and adjust the texture image files accordingly. But in order to preserve the texture's fidelity and have an even texel density, some of the tiles' sizes will increase from 4K to 16K with most of the space being just empty.
What I find weird is that Substance Painter takes this density into consideration when having a Planar/Tri-Planar/Spherical, etc projection. No other software that I work with (Houdini / C4D) considers the texel density with these types of projections. Usually the above mentioned projection techniques override the object's original UV settings.

I wonder if there's a "magic switch" somewhere in Substance Painter that will allow us to ignore the original density.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a question of taking it into consideration, if the same size areas on the model take up significantly different size areas on the UV then, whatever resolution the exported maps are set to, those areas are going to look different.

One thing you could do though is to take advantage of the ability to set Painter to set different UV tiles, using the UDIM workflow, to different output resolutions. So, for example, the same material can use 4K on tile 1 and 1k on tile 2

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had no idea that was possible. This is exactly what I was looking for. Problem solved!
Thank you SO MUCH Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources