Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Newly revamped Substance 3D plugin for Unity

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

We are excited to announce that we've released a soft launch of the newly revamped Substance 3D plugin for Unity. The plugin lets users load, apply, and tweak Substance 3D parametric materials directly in Unity.

If you're interested in testing out the plugin, you can download it directly from the Unity asset store: Substance 3D in Unity.

Stay tuned for the official release.

If you have questions or comments, please reach out to us here. Thanks!

TOPICS
Discussion , Unity

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

apple m1 support please 🙏🏾

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any runtime related documentation?

Are URP shaders supported?

In Unity editor, everytinhg works fine, but the "Substance Graph" marked as "Runtime only" does not output any texture once apk is compiled, only base color assigned to material is rendered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a customer reach out to me about assets I sell which require Substance. The customer needs to use an older version of Unity(2018), however the Substance package which supports that version has been deprecated and is no longer offered for download.

This caught me by surprise, and I'm wondering is there a library I can point them to for compatible substance packages?

the old package:
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/substance-in-unity-110555

The new package requires version 2021 or higher, which is not a great range to be honest. Many users require  older versions than that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jose238315303mz7 The new package requires version 2020.3.27x or higher. This was a mistake in the documentation and we have corrected it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While that's better, it still leaves out a significant number of potential customers. why not leave up the packages and note that they are no longer being supported?

If there's no plan to release those packages again for legacy users, I guess my next question would be:

If I wish to continue selling  assets on Unity assets store to users with older versions of Unity, am I allowed to include older allegorithimic Substance packages with my assets?

The alternative is to lose customers from Unity 2019 and earlier...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something I would reallty like to see that wasn't present in the old plugin; when exporting .SBSAR files,  I can open them in Substance Player and toggle between graph presets, but this wasn't an option in the old Unity plugin (and after a test drive of the new beta, still isn't). Currently even when I try to load a presets file in the new Unity plugin, it only applies the first preset instead of giving me a dropdown to select which of the presets I want. Support for this would really be game changing for development!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*I would also add that having a way to set a preset via a script API would be icing on the cake!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have added your feature request to our product backlog. We will reach out to you if we need more information. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will the M1 / Apple Silicon / ARM support come out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, You can use the plugin on M1 Mac by choosing the Intel platform. 

Adding Apple Silicon support is on our roadmap, and we are planning to add that a couple of releases from now. Please stay tuned!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say choose the Intel platform, are you talking about using the non-Silicon version of Unity?

More importantly, when you say couple of releases - do you release every month?  A ball park estimate in months would be great.  

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say choose the Intel platform, are you talking about using the non-Silicon version of Unity?

That's right! 

when you say a couple of releases - do you release every month?  A ball park estimate in months would be great.  
We are aiming to release an update every month or two. And adding the Apple Silicon support is important, so we will be looking into that very soon. It's hard to give an exact month but probably in Q3 (between July and September). Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

We are excited to announce that we've released a soft launch of the newly revamped Substance 3D plugin for Unity. The plugin lets users load, apply, and tweak Substance 3D parametric materials directly in Unity.

If you're interested in testing out the plugin, you can download it directly from the Unity asset store: Substance 3D in Unity.

By @Shwetha23063442qtvs

Hi everyone!

By @Shwetha23063442qtvs

https://diepreye.lightning.force.com/lightning/o/Account/home

Shared from the Salesforce mobile app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest 0.0.100 update on Unity 2021.3 I'm able to import an sbsar, but after the editor reloads I see an error message relating to each output texture, and the material just looks metallic:

Fail to update substance output: target Unity texture is not RGBA32.
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError (object)
Adobe.Substance.SubstanceGraphSO:UpdateOutputTextures (intptr) (at Assets/Adobe/Substance3DForUnity/Runtime/Scripts/Unity Objects/SubstanceGraphSO.cs:247)

Also another snag that I'm hitting is that Substance graphs don't have assigned output textures after performing an AssetDatabase.Refresh(). I'm trying to have an automated script in Unity import an .sbsar and then iterate the texture outputs in order to bake the textures into a static Unity texture, but I end up getting an error where SubstanceGraphSO.Output is null. The solution for me currently is to do a refresh, manually intervene to wait for the substance to catch up with the renders, then continue the automation script. `MaterialUtils.AssignOutputTexturesToMaterial(graph)` doesn't seem to get it done for me, and I've been rooting around the API trying to figure out what I can do here, but any promising leads seem to either use interop pointers or are internalized classes.

That was really just a long-winded way of asking if there are any current or planned APIs available to emulate the old APIs `mySubstance.RenderSync()`?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Fail to update substance output: target Unity texture is not RGBA32" when importing a Sampler .sbsar file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting this issue. We're currently investigating this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing my own .sbsar materials into Unity 2021.3.5f1, the following error gets thrown:

Asset import failed, "Assets/Resources/material.sbsar" > ExecutionEngineException: String conversion error: Illegal byte sequence encounted in the input.
Adobe.Substance.SubstanceNativeHandler.CreateOutputCopy (System.Int32 graphID, System.Int32 outputID) (at Assets/Adobe/Substance3DForUnity/Runtime/Scripts/SubstanceNativeHandler.cs:221)

The material is not imported and an empty folder is generated.
However, this bug is not present for assets downloaded from Substance 3D Assets (adobe.com) Are there any special export settings that I am missing so that my materials can be correctly imported by Unity?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attaching a sample material which cannot be imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, There could be various reasons why you might be running into this issue as this is a custom Substance asset. Thanks for sharing your asset here, this would help investigate on our end. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day,

Are there plans to make it comptible with WebGL? 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day to you too! Not at the moment. But could you please share your use cases? (This would help us to investigate this topic further.)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm really liking the new plugin this far, but a good portion of the sbars that worked fine with the old Allegorithmic plugin are no longer usable and produce this error instead:

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T].get_Item (System.Int32 index) (at <c2a97e0383e8404c9fc0ae19d58f57f1>:0)
Adobe.SubstanceEditor.Importer.SubstanceImporterEditor.OnPreviewSettings () (at Assets/Adobe/Substance3DForUnity/Editor/Scripts/Importer/SubstanceImporterEditor.cs:393)
UnityEditor.PropertyEditor.DrawPreviewAndLabels () (at <5f40cdb07bd44d76a23dad985a4ec283>:0)
UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <e262c2d839014c8090373617ef295bab>:0)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)

Here is one of those affected sbars as an example: https://ambientcg.com/view?id=PaintedMetalSubstance001

Tested under 2021.3.8f1 on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Thanks for reporting this. We are aware of this issue and are currently taking action on providing a fix for it. Please expect an update from us soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation
Download Latest Versions