• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BBC Article: The Mental Rigours of Being President

Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a non American who did limited American history in school, and possibly learned more about the names of past Presidents from Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels (he likes to use the names of past Presidents when checking into hotels, and  the story lines invariably make the point that the check-in clerks do not recognize those names) I found this article fascinating.  It is not another character assassination of Trump, although it obviously mentions him.  If anything, it suggests that it might even be beneficial to be a touch 'unhinged' when serving as President.   I believe that Nixon deliberately portrayed himself as a wee bit crazy, so as to convince Russia that he would have no trouble pressing the big Red Button!

I was surprised to read that Bill Clinton was among past Presidents to exhibit some of the characteristics of being a psychopath, and it was interesting to read what those characteristics are:

superficial charm, egocentricity, dishonesty, callousness, risk-taking, poor impulse control and fearlessness.

Does that describe anyone you know?  I have read that psychopaths can be skilled at disguising their thoughts, and  are able to mimic 'normal behaviour' from those around them, so it might not be so easy.

Another point that I took from the article is just how recent things like antibiotics came into being.  Calvin Coolidge was apparently changed forever after his son died of septicemia which developed after playing tennis with no socks, and getting a blister that became infected.  This was in 1924, so barely a hundred years ago blood poisoning could kill you.  I realize that sepsis is still extremely serious, and people die of it every day, but it seemed unlucky for a person who would have had the best possible health care of that time, died as the result of a blister.

The mental rigours of being US president - BBC News

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I have read that psychopaths can be skilled at disguising their thoughts, and  are able to mimic 'normal behaviour' from those around them

I don't think that's it, they just do what they do. I think it's more that we all share some of those characteristics. In other words, they're basically like us - only more so in some significant traits all pointing in the same direction.

This is just my own theory - having met a few people who no doubt belong in this category - but I think what it boils down to is a lack of social "belonging", to put it in a very broad and general term. Without this social purpose, the vacuum is filled with their own egocentric purposes. Power, money, that other thing that I probably can't spell out here if I want this post to stay online. There is nothing else, other people are just there to fulfill those egocentric purposes. It's probably a very lonely life.

It's a problem with leadership in general. A certain type of people will naturally tend to rise to these positions, because they have what it takes to get there. We focus on Trump because he's very obvious - but if you look around, they're everywhere.

It's not all bleak, though. There are still leaders who fight their way up for the exact opposite reasons. There are still idealists who want to improve society and the world for all of us, not just themselves. And if you look around, they are also everywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well first of all, they say that anyone who'd even want to run for president should be disqualified for being crazy. But as to Bill Clinton, I once read an interview of him that was very telling. He said that in school, he was the fat kid in the "size 'Husky' jeans," as he put it, and that when he became a politician and suddenly women were throwing themselves at him, he could barely believe it and just kind of made up for lost time. I do also think he's kind of a psychopath tho,

As for Trump, I do not think he's anywhere near as "unhinged" as many seem to think. I think they'd like to think he is. The truth is that he just is not a politician, and that is why he won. People were sick of the same old people saying one thing and doing another. I laugh every time he does something like saying "Little Rocket Man" and his detractors rub their hands in glee and say "Aha! Surely THIS will be his undoing."  But all it does is remind us that this guy is no politician, and that is why he won. People don't seem to get that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines