Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digital photo prints to sell

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've seen some people sell digital photography prints on etsy with great success but I'm wondering about which cameras/specs work best so that buyers can blow up the image to a great size and not lose focus. I know you should have a SLR camera but I think I was thinking of getting a mirrorless for certain travel photography and was after minimum specifications?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved from Photography​ to The Lounge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With photography gear as is the same with computers, people are partial to brands. Rather than start a brand favorite discussion I'll say that you should compare the weight to quality factor when considering a DSLR vs Mirrorless and budget.

You can get a high-end mirrorless, think Sony A7R ii against a Nikon D850 or Canon Mark V. And if you really want to up your game for landscape you could look at a mid-size like a Pentax 645.

It will take a lot of sales on Etsy to pay for any of the above mentioned gear kits. And don't forget the glass... you can't get a high end body with a cheap lens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with cmgap re: equipment choices. You'd need to do a lot of research to get the best deals you can.

Keep in mind another possibility re: selling the work.

This guy has been successful because 99% of his work was sold by him at Art Fairs ( mostly pretty high end fairs on eastern Long Island. He printed his own prints (large) and framed some. He also printed on canvas sometimes. It was a lot of work and many years but he did well at it.

Home - John Ellsworth Photography

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another print option. Believe it or not, last fall I send a digital image to a Fed Ex Kinko place (sent online) to see how their mounted photo quality was. I worked closely with the technician at the place ( due to tones and crop concerns ). I was very happy with the result and if there is a place like that near you it might be worth looking into, instead of investing in giant printer of your own, etc.

I think there are also photo print places at Walgreens, which can be mounted maybe, but haven't used them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand you're asking about equipment but that's only a means to an end.   I've seen some pretty amazing photos captured with a cardboard box .

Below are the technical requirements for submitting digital photos to Adobe Stock. 

Technical requirements

• Submit images in JPEG format.
  • Minimum image resolution: 4 MP (megapixels)
  • Maximum image resolution: 100 MP (megapixels)
  • Maximum file size: 45 MB (megabytes)
  • No watermarks or timestamps
  • Do not upsample your files; submit the maximum file size that your camera can produce.
Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe, better elaborate. cardboard box = pinhole camera

: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pinhole maybe but not when your box is the size of a 20 ft shipping container.

Truck-Sized Pinhole Camera Captures the Great American Panorama - Creators

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the only time a mirror camera out performs a mirrorless camera is for speed of focus i.e, fast moving objects = use a mirror camera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe... that's one big pinhole camera !  Probably used a number 2 pencil to make the hole.  ??

So many variables re: mirror less vs. reflex, re: choice. Used to use M3 rangefinder a lot when young. Pre-focus (focus ring) and shoot mostly. But that was mostly wide lens stuff. I personally hate AF lenses cause I focus manually ( lenses go beyond min and max focus so it goes out when doing manually). Cine lenses (Zeiss) are better, but way more expensive for DSLR's. It's a lot of thinking and deciding and researching to figure out what's best for the way you want to shoot, etc. I'm so glad I don't have to do that !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The kind of camera you want to use for this kind of work, is completely up to you.

At this point, you may have a very good quality even with a high end smartphone, so good that in some side-by-side comparison with good D-SLR an non-expert eye couldn't tell the difference.

However, if you have to comply with some specs, this can help with a choice.

I would say, if you plan to sell prints up to 1m on the long edge, you may want to choose at least a 24mpx camera, regardless of sensor size. Given that you want something lightweight that will be easy to carry around, I would suggest something like a Fuji X100f.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines