• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Favorite Tutorials

Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2016 Jul 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a glut of information online these days.  I have a Lynda.com subscription but there's so much to choose from I'm overwhelmed.   YouTube is not my go to resource mainly because there is no peer review process so for every good tutorial, there are at least 15 useless ones.  Life's too short.

I was wondering which tutorials people have found the most helpful.   For example, is there a particular instructor or a video series you preferred over others? 

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2016 Jul 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my favorites in Lynda :

Chris Meyer

Mark Christiansen

for After Effects users these two are a MUST.

also the amazing, entertaining, charismatic Deke Mcclelland.

his Photoshop series is top notch. Illustrator as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2016 Jul 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Deke Mcclelland & Photoshop, +1.  Super informative and well presented. I'll check out the others as well.

Thanks.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2016 Jul 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must admit I find Deke a little too comprehensive for my taste. The insistence on explaining literally what every last checkbox does can become overwhelming. His Mastery series on Lynda though is very good. Personally I prefer project driven tutorials where the teacher uses an aspect of a program to create a design and would suggest Aaron Nace for that

https://phlearn.com/free-tutorials

or Jesus Ramirez on the Photoshop training channel

Photoshop Training Channel – Photoshop Tutorials & Training 

or Colin Smith on Photoshop Cafe

free Photo tutorials from photoshopCAFE

Scott Kelby is also always worth watching.

Adobe's own Twitch.tv can also be pretty good particularly when watched live but it has the disadvantage of having 3 hour tutorials which can be hard to fit in to a working day. Aaron Nace and Rufus Deuchler gave three very good live streams last week in fact

Live Masterclass with Aaron Nace - Photoshop 101 1/3 - YouTube

Live Masterclass with Aaron Nace - Photoshop 201 2/3 - YouTube

Live Masterclass with Aaron Nace - Photoshop 301 3/3 - YouTube

I do agree though about the lack of peer review on YouTube although by reading the comments you quickly work out who knows what they are talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deke is my favorite - I always recommend him to my students. I also think for newbies it's very difficult to learn from videos. You have to have some experience under your belt. I bet my career on that one as an Adobe Instructor!

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Melissa. also, addressing Terri's Comment - I personally prefer to go over every checkbox and not be project oriented because I want to know everything and I will know for what project to use what.  if I am project oriented then I only know a limited course of action to that type of project. he does give live examples of course from A to B. but I get what you mean - it's not exactly a real-case of common project. also what I love about him is that he encourages the viewer to enjoy and succeed. he loves to say something like "by the end of this tutorial I want you to say 'I can do this!'". as a teacher for students, I am always trying to make my teaching as clear and as positive and encouraging and supportive as I can because I know how it's like to feel lost in the technical details, and things seem impossible when you are not that motivated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that Robbie Carman, Max Jago, and Pat Inhofer are always good with video post, especially Max & Pat. Pat & Robbie are both found on their MixingLight website, and on lynda-dot-com, besides popping up elsewhere including some Adobe site pages. Max is also featured in a number of Adobe pages, and other places as well.

I asked Max at NAB one time, how he approaches his training materials. His reply was that he had a teacher or mentor who was a military man and told him to assume anyone he taught was quite bright, but just didn't know about X, whatever he was teaching. I like the way he explains things ... and think he does a very fine job of explaining the things you NEED to know, and allowing other things to go by. He chooses ... wisely ... the things he says.

Robbie is knowledgeable and passionate, and always worthwhile, and Pat will give you maybe a bit more of why you should learn something ... a basic understanding of how something functions in a way that helps you see farther than just his specific topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2016 Aug 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Creative Live is also a great resource for learning and worth checking out.

CreativeLive: Free Live Online Classes - Learn. Be Inspired.

They have live streaming classes in the following subjects: Photo/Video, Art/Design, Music & Audio, Craft & Maker, Money & Life.

Check out the calendar to see current and upcoming classes. The classes are free to watch. You can also purchase the class for anytime online access. They have some fabulous instructors and I always learn something. So many classes including a Photoshop Week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines