• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fueling the Future of the Creative Community

Advocate ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. This is the “Digital Age,” yet many of us got started in the days of loading film into a camera. We edited a motion picture by splicing the actual film footage. There was a time when we burned a plate for a printing press using a big sheet of graphic arts film. The Dodge Tool wasn’t just a thing used in Adobe Photoshop; it was an actual little tool in the darkroom. And then there was learning how Adobe InDesign allows you to space type that was once the job of hot metal typesetting. That background illuminates what the digital tools are all about. Understanding the analog techniques can improve the methods used in media technologies. And, then, there are those of us who pioneered the original 1984 Mac, Windows 2.0, and have 35 years in the digital world.

The US Bureau of Labor Statics (BLS) says that millions of Americans are not retiring at 65 years of age. Many of us, in North America, continue to work as long as we can. That BLS data in not as fresh as we would like, but between 1977 and 2007 workers 65-69 increased 85%, 70-74: 98%, and 75+ 172%! 

For now, that’s a good thing. It allows those of us, with institutional foundations, to give the industry’s new blood that foundational knowledge. Then, the new industry leaders can carry the foundations of the creative community into the ongoing growth of new technologies.

We personally know why this is important. We are still in the midst of our career journey. Along the way, we are always learning new things. We find ourselves leaning on the knowledge of those with longterm expertise, who are kind enough to share what they know.

So, what’s your story? If you are a Creative Professional, approaching 65 (like us), do you plan to stay in this for as long as possible? How about if you are over 65: is the thought of retiring a scary idea that you wish we never even mentioned? What if you are new to the creative workforce: have you found some experienced and trusted advisers who have shared with you some of that foundational expertise?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mean to be cynical but what's retirement?  After the financial crash of 2008, I don't think a lot of us have much choice in the matter.   This is the era of "work until you drop."

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

After the financial crash of 2008, I don't think a lot of us have much choice in the matter.

One of the things about the BLS data which bothers us is that it doesn't point to what is compelling people to work longer.

Janet & I know people, in the creative community, who are not independent contractors, and have been in the corporate world, and were driven to continue to work into their 70s. But the data does not tell us enough.

We know the enterprise worker is a huge source of Adobe's revenue stream, so there are media technology workers who have retirement options through their employer.

(I don't want to delve into anyone's personal financial situation, here.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

I don't mean to be cynical but what's retirement?

To the point, Nancy, you are an excellent example to someone who is a mentor to the creative community. The energy you share on these forums is a fabulous testament to how you are reaching out to others. So, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@nancy o'shea  Same here. I'll never retire, but I wouldn't want to even if 2008 hadn't done a number on me, which it did. I thank God every day that I don't work for a company in an office where I'm at the mercy of other people, and that I can earn a living from home. While watching cheesy horror movies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines