• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac Pro vs. pc

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my perception is mac is abandoning their loyal pro market to phone and laptop profits. Mac Pro not improved in some time and seeems difficult if not impossible to upgrade. Thinking of making switch to PC for photoshop. Any thoughts or comment?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use both platforms regularly... my work is on the mac though if for no other reason than Time Machine. The Windows platform can't beat the ease of use associated with picking where you left off when restoring from TM. There is no equivalent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cmgap  wrote

There is no equivalent.

you may want to look into V-software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sajjadh26224239  wrote

in short the job that takes me 2 hours on my PC can easily take half hour on MAC

Well, this is exactly why these discussions never go anywhere. Someone always comes along with anecdotes about some old, ill-maintained and underpowered laptop, as if that proves a point.

• A sensibly equipped and well maintained Mac = a sensibly equipped and well maintained pc. Components come from the same subcontractors in Taiwan, China and South Korea.
  • Adobe applications perform identically on either platform, as per above.

End of story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My personal experience has been similar, it just runs better on my Mac. Windows is always having issues with updates, or, he cursor just doesn’t behave or some other dumb annoying thing going on in there. I Am not impressed with the current MacBook pros. I don’t have one, but my daughter will need to replace her old one soon. I’m hoping they will come out with something better For her. I don’t want to spend a fortune on dongle and adapters. Macs last longer, too. My 27” iMac is 5 yrs old and doing just fine. All of the macbook pros we’ve had over the years have lasted for 8+ years and get handed down to the kids. I have a window’s surface that I only use a few times a year when I travel - it is 4 yrs old - lost the pen a couple years ago. I don’t let my kids near it and never downloaded anything but my adobe software on there. I only use it to teach. It has held up surprisingly well.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mostly agreed with other's replies. I don't have any issues at all with Adobe products on my PC. Fairly, I don't use them on a Mac (haven't in years) but everything I use seems to work just fine. Agreed, however, that it can depend on the complexity and components in a PC.

And please, please, don't call them MACs. That's a pet peeve left over from when I WAS a Mac fan

MAC is an acronym for "media access control".

The computers are Macs. iMacs. etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find this ridiculous. If Mac's Just Worked there wouldn't be millions of posts over at the Apple Mac forums.

If Mac computers used better hardware there wouldn't be an appointment system to take you Mac in to get it fixed. On that note there wouldn't be any Genius bars in Apple stores so someone could look at your broken Mac, or Apple stores at all.

Apple makes Throw Away products. Buy if for more money than any other like product. Use it for X amount of time then when something goes wrong with it take it in to get it fixed and be told it is to old, it will cost almost as much as a new Mac and have no warranty.

And lets not start with OS X that if upgraded the software you used for the last 4-5 years no longer works. That is IF your model Mac, that might only be 4 years old, can be upgraded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Just+Shoot+Me  wrote

[snip]

Apple makes Throw Away products.

[snip]

If we are including phones in that statement, then there can be little doubt of the truth of it.  It's not long since we saw the IOS update that slowed things down in the interest of failing batteries.  Between iTunes and IOS updates, my 5s became ever more problematic to the point it was no longer usable.  I'd already had to pay to have a new lightning port fitted, and if I'd had a new battery at the same time, I wouldn't need a no choice slow down to preserve battery life.  Heck we didn't even know it was happening until some bright spark worked it out.  

OK, I like the 8 Plus I felt forced into buying, but the 5S really wasn't that old, and all I do is listen to audio books on the thing, which the 5S did just fine — least ways it did until yet another IOS update killed the poor thing.   Apple is a machine to make money.  End of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Just+Shoot+Me   wrote

[snip]

Apple makes Throw Away products.

[snip]

If we are including phones in that statement, then there can be little doubt of the truth of it.  It's not long since we saw the IOS update that slowed things down in the interest of failing batteries.  Between iTunes and IOS updates, my 5s became ever more problematic to the point it was no longer usable.  I'd already had to pay to have a new lightning port fitted, and if I'd had a new battery at the same time, I wouldn't need a no choice slow down to preserve battery life.  Heck we didn't even know it was happening until some bright spark worked it out.  

OK, I like the 8 Plus I felt forced into buying, but the 5S really wasn't that old, and all I do is listen to audio books on the thing, which the 5S did just fine — least ways it did until yet another IOS update killed the poor thing.   Apple is a machine to make money.  End of.

Continuing with the iPhone theme, it appears now that replacement iPhone do not work properly with IOS11.1 and later.  So try not to drop your iPhones guys.

Replacement iPhone screens don't work properly with iOS 11.1 and later - TechSpot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using Windows a lot when a certain type of malware came called "Cryptolocker". It was the first in a series of ransomware that would encrypt files and demand payment of some kind to decrypt. A good backup plan would of course thwart this tactic. That was it for me. I  could be careful and duck that one, but I got the point that Windows was becoming a bad neighborhood and a clever hacker could get lucky one day.

Since that time, I've had no problems with the Mac except for browser hijackers, and Malwarebytes cleaned that out. Plus the structure of MacOS and even better security locks have made things harder and less profitable for hackers. I don't even think the non profit hackers can get anywhere unless they have direct access.

Someone explained that "Market share" is not the reason no one bothers to crack Fort Knox.

Now if I ever get into UHD video, that might change, but by then I hope Windows has got security hardened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, as I said before, the malware scare is vastly overrated. Use common sense and don't click on everything that comes up, and you'll be fine. I've had exactly two malware infections in my time, and the last one must be six or seven years ago by now.

I'm a lot more worried about Google. I'm not on facebook, so I ducked that one. I always knew what these companies' business model was. How else can the two most profitable companies in the world - next to Apple! - offer their "services" to the public for free?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bottom line = the new UDOO BOLT is almost twice as powerful as a MacBook Pro 13 for (conservely) a quarter the cost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess there's always that great Apple after sales product support that you can totally rely on.

eeer.... hang on a minute... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I guess there's always that great Apple after sales product support that you can totally rely on.

eeer.... hang on a minute... 

It appears that not all countries are prepared to let Apple get away with its arbitrary approach after sales service.   I'm guessing that Linus's experience was in Canada where I believe he and his companies are based.  _They_ broke their iMac Pro by taking it appart, and they are not 'authorised' Apple repair peeps.  This screenshot is from 1:15, and things didn't improve.  Apple flat out refused to fix the iMac Pro, or supply the parts for Linus's techs to fix it.  That would certainly be in breach of Consumer Law in NZ (when not spending too much time on these forums, I volunteer, and am a past President, of Marlborough Citizens Advice, and was on the Board of the local Community Law Centre)

Today we've learned that Apple's behaviour is also in breach of Australian Consumer Law, although the situation does not directly parallel what happened to Linus.   They have been fine Oz$9M for refusing to fix iPhones and iPads previously serviced by third parties. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-44529315

We are not talking Ford Pinto fuel tanks here, but it does seem to demonstrate a cynical disregard for their customer base, and an arrogant superiority that puts them above the law.   Not a good look Apple. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on both platforms every day. Two systems both with dual monitors. Run Creative Suite on both.

I honestly can see much difference between the two once I'm in the software. Performance is similar (that's with 16 GB RAM on both with high-end graphics cards to drive the monitors).

Two observations:

1. The Mac seems to have more problems with corrupt files or corrupt software, the type of problems where the solution is to trash your preferences. On the other hand, these problems are so rare on the Windows side that I don't even know how to trash my preferences on Windows. And when a file won't open on the Mac (or misbehaves or does something else that's off), I usually can open it flawlessly on the Windows workstation. The Windows OS seems to be much more stable (not perfect, but better); I rarely have to reboot during the day, but when working on my Mac, I need to reboot at least every other day.
  2. The touchscreen on Windows is amazing. A M A Z I N G.  I miss it so much when I'm on the Mac that I find myself choosing Windows more often than not just for the touch screen.  It's whipping fast to scroll (or flick) through server drives and folders. And graphics programs like Photoshop and Illustrator are just fun to work on with your fingertips or the stylist. 3D spins. live signatures in PDFs. The list goes on.

In terms of price, a decked out touchscreen MS Surface Pro is comparable to a MacBook Pro. And the latest Surface is a 28" touch screen that adjusts to lie flat like a tablet or vertical like a desktop. Buy Surface Studio - Microsoft Store

I just keep wondering where the he!! is Apple's touch screen?

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bevi, I had a twenty minute play with the high end Surface Studio at MAX 2016, and it was a very nice working experience, but perhaps a little slow.  This was before Photoshop had brush smoothing, and having used Lazy Nezumi Pro for years, I found the line work a bit rough and ragged, but that will be different now no doubt, and being a Windows platform, you could spend $35 and have Lazy Nezumi anyway.  (I can't work without LNP because it makes such a difference I feel like a monkey with a pencil when it it turned off, but Photoshop's brush smoothing is very good as far as it goes).

I absolutely loved the little puck thing that comes with the Surface Studio screens. 

Wacom are missing a trick here, as they could surely adopt some of the Surface Dial's functions with their tablet's Express Wheel.  I have the EW on my Intuos 4 set to toggle between brush size and rotate screen (by changing two of the four switch positions).  Adjusting brush size this way is a workflow boon, as you can do it on the fly, so there is zero interruption.  You can obviously use Pressure/size but the EW gives a wider range of control.

The problem with the big Surface Studio screens is cost.  The top end 28" one is NZ$6200 here.  With hindsight, I regret buying my Cintiq Companion 2.  It ended up costing a lot of money, and I almost never use it.  I actually prefer to use the Intuos while looking at my computer screens.  Line accuracy is better with the CC2, but the screen is way too small for me.

Bevi, do you think the user experience with an Intuos 5 Touch (or whatever they call it nowadays) would be worthwhile?  I have seen posts on these forums from people who ended up disabling Touch, so go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bevi+Chagnon+%7C+PubCom  wrote

The touchscreen on Windows is amazing. A M A Z I N G. 

I told the sales man I didn't want one but it was on special so I grabbed it

that was 3 laptops ago (it still works) and now I can't see myself living without one... it would be like going back to the pre-mouse days of keyboard only

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

twice as powerful (...) for (conservely) a quarter the cost

I normally subscribe to the belief that you get what you pay for. I accept that high-quality products, manufactured to tight tolerances and subjected to rigorous quality controls, are more expensive than knock-off mass market junk. That's fine.

With Apple I'm not so sure, and I'm saying that because Apple is currently the most profitable corporation in the world. They have profit margins unheard of anywhere else.

In the Wikipedia article I read this: "In 2011, Apple's profit margins were 40 percent, compared with between 10 and 20 percent for most other hardware companies"

40 percent? 40 percent? Can someone please tell me how they can produce so cheaply and sell so expensively? Deep down, I think you all know the answer to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like they want to squeeze the cost of manufacturing even further, down to the level of screws and miscellaneous fixings.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/06/04/report-apple-to-control-more-of-its-supply-chain-procurement/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe goes out of their way to make for Mac... most the dev staff are users with no clue about Windows

I do have to agree it still makes more sence to install Adobe on the Windows if you have both systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still find this whole discussion pointless. It's not about Mac vs Windows.

Do you have a well maintained system with enough resources and components that are balanced to work together?

That's all that matters - although I'd particularly like to stress the first of these points. There's always lots of opinions from people whose systems don't meet those standards, especially the first one, in both camps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this type of argument is still a thing and that many designers currently still think that MAcOS is more advanced than Windows. I've used both OS at the same time for 5+ years and with no issues moving files from one machine to the other. Only a few font issues that were easy to solve. Now I fully use just PCs. One that I built myself and an Origin PC laptop. My assistant works with a Mac and we have no issue working with the same files. These computers are just tools to get the job done. Apple computers are no longer what they used to be and I haven't run any antivirus on my PC for 3 years both of my two machines are clean. The only OS that is superior to both is Linux and Adobe don't make their apps available for it so yeah. It's 2018.

Plus, I'm a PC gamer and I do 3D work as a hobby. No Macs for me. Now if we were discussing tablets then I would give the edge hands down to ipad pro. Now that's quite a device. The only worthy product from Apple currently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

resistance is futile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So he might have ordered Genuine Apple used OEM batteries, not counterfeits and CBP robbed him by seizing them?

He might just want to eat that loss.

Apple does not authorize any third party to make OEM batteries for sale on the open market.

I understand there are a great many reasons to not like Apple, but this is not one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a discussion that could go on for eons. I will humbly bow out before it becomes an argument lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Inet+Media  wrote

This is a discussion that could go on for eons. I will humbly bow out before it becomes an argument lol

Just a thought, but your argument about comparative hardware is a bit odd.  When we say PC, I guess we mean the Windows operating system.  Regards 'PC' hardware, there are so many companies using so many permutations, some of which likely crosses over with Mac hardware (but not any PC built in the last five years ).  

You mention aluminium framed cases.  I  wonder  who  makes those cases for Apple, and if they supply other brands?   You will certainly find a huge range if you Google aluminium computer case.  Will the next gen Mac Pro still use Xeon CPUs?  I'm thinking that the low clock speeds of Xeon CPUs  is a factor in the low temperatures.  A computer PSU is  only going  to produce heat commensurate with the demand on it, and 1100W does sound like it has enough overhead for most demands.    FWIIW, I have a Corsair 1200W Platinum PSU in my i9-7900X system, but I don't know if there is a way to see the drain on it from within Windows 10.   Seven of the drives shown below are external USB3, and to save the hassle and untidiness of using their individual PSUs, I have them in a cooled enclosure powered via the main computer CPU.     I will put my hand up and admit that the CPU can get hot.  At the moment I limit it to 4.2Ghz which keeps temperatures reasonable.   Letting it OC to 4.4Ghz makes it quickly reach 90°C with heavily threaded apps like Handbrake.

For me, you won't do better than use Pugeot System's extensive test articles when researching hardware for content creation.  I wish I knew Mac hardware well enough to search through for a parallel, but I am not sure they archive their articles back that far.    (I'm sorry, but there is a law that we have to give Mac users a hard time).

https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php

Speaking of Puget Systems testing, I have been holding  on the the GTX 970 in my system while waiting for the RTX 2080Ti  GPUs, but I am wondering if it is worth the cost of the GPU for the smaller than expected gain in performance.  Will there be an option for the level of CPU with a Mac Pro, or are they going to play safe with Quadro GPUs? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines