• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac Pro vs. pc

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my perception is mac is abandoning their loyal pro market to phone and laptop profits. Mac Pro not improved in some time and seeems difficult if not impossible to upgrade. Thinking of making switch to PC for photoshop. Any thoughts or comment?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I wish I knew Mac hardware well enough to search through for a parallel, but I am not sure they archive their articles back that far.    (I'm sorry, but there is a law that we have to give Mac users a hard time).

Trevor, I am pretty sure that law was copied from the one that says we have to give PC users a hard time. It started about the time Bill Gates copied the Mac operating system, called it Windows, and put it onto MS DOS computers.

(I’m also pretty sure that there’s a law that when Windows users named Trevor.Dennis​ give Mac users a hard time, we have to speak up for ourselves!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, I was actually about at that time, and I remember the dust up between Bill Gates and IBM before Bill said 'Let there be Windows' and behold, it came to pass that that there was Windows.  I remember Bill talking to Guy Kewney of PC World, but I don't remember the content of that interview.  I think Guy was more famous than Bill at that time.  Bill came across as fresh, 'bold and daring to go' and I am fairly sure computer enthusiasts were all  rooting for Bill over the staid and boring IBM with their pocket protectors.

This was not _that_ long ago now I think about.  Early to mid 80s?  Remember we were talking about the Citizens Advice computers that crashed on me?   I actually had to think hard to remember enough DOS to do what I wanted from a Command Line!  Use it or lose it I guess.

Time for a Sealed Envelope me thinks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis

As you well know, Trevor, I could not let your Mac dig go by without a return comment. You also know that I have been cross-platform for about 30 years, but mostly Mac. Did you know that I used to teach a 3-day class in DOS? I could have helped you with those command lines. I still remember it.

Platform wars amuse me, and thank you for the peace offering. I accept it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis​ Apple is remaining tight lipped about what the new Mac Pro will look like and what sort of upgrade path will be allowed. I certainly hope everything is not flash soldered onto the board. As far as an external GPU goes, it might be likely as they are touting this for a while now to keep the main form factor size of the main Mac Pro small. I am eagerly awaiting to see where this goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's strip this down to the facts for a minute, and then it might be possible to move on:

• Hardware. Apple products are assembled at Foxconn in Taiwan. They also make the motherboards. But the individual components come from a variety of suppliers, mostly in South-East Asia: displays from Sharp and LG, RAM and other electronics from Samsung, Micron Technologies in Taiwan, and others. It’s a complex chain – but Apple is no different from any other manufacturer in their use of the standard subcontractors.
  • The “halo”. This is where it gets interesting. Apple is by now the single biggest and most profitable corporation in the world, operating at profit margins up to 40%. This is completely unheard of anywhere else, where 12-15% is considered excellent earning and good business. Apple is everything they ever said Microsoft was, or anyone else. The big corporation. There's nothing particularly wrong with that in itself - but how can they still sell the “underdog” image, the “hipster” persona? How can such a company incite almost religious feelings in so many? How did Steve Jobs do it?

All of which boils down to this: A Mac is just a computer. It’s no better and no worse than any other computer. I (and many others) could easily leave it at that, if it wasn’t for all those people who buy into the hype. Then it becomes just like all other myth-busting, it takes on its own dynamic. And that’s why the discussion continues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes a Mac is a computer. Yes the parts are all sourced form similar suppliers. Yes a pc running windows can outrun a Mac if u spend money modding it. Yes yes yes to all this. But its the elegance of a Mac and its OS that makes it a pleasure to use. Windows is a terrible operating system and the only few they ever got right was XP and Win7. Yes Apple also had a few black sheep but the difference is they then do their best to better it while Microsoft releases Win 10 and mucks its all up lol. Which in turns makes using a plasticky Dell feel even more plasticky. Oh you Windows fan boys...u make me snigger hehe. I am now going to keep quiet hahaha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dell? Who's talking about Dell? The big misunderstanding here is that the Windows platform works the same way as Mac.

Most serious Windows users custom build their machines from hand-picked components. It's not an off-the-shelf package, that's not how it works.

Why would I care if someone makes a cheap plastic laptop? That's their problem, nothing to do with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

Most serious Windows users custom build their machines from hand-picked components. It's not an off-the-shelf package, that's not how it works.

I agree. My dad never had a computer he didn't build himself and he started using computers in the 1960s. Never, that is, until he switched to a Mac in 2004. He's 93 now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

The really nice thing about that, is that we have recourse like Puget Systems, and our own Adobe Premiere Pro Hardware forum.  The latter is a god send to serious system builders with people like the sadly departed Harm Millaard and Bill Gehrke who invested serious time and their own money into proving system configurations designed for specific applications.

The PPBM benchmarks and result tables was a huge table with every configuration you could think of along with relative performance.  I was so proud to have my previous 3930K system in forth place for many weeks on the on the PPBM5 results table, and it still stands at 17th out of >1300 entries.  That was entirely down to suggestions from the PP Hardware forum guys.  BTW I never tire of pointing out that the highest placed Mac on that table, is way down at 661st place

Benchmark Results

https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I was so proud to have my previous 3930K system in fourth place for many weeks on the on the PPBM5 results table, and it still stands at 17th out of >1300 entries. 

Benchmark Results

Congratulations, Trevor—that's pretty awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What has happened to Bill? I haven't heard anything.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have stayed away from this controversy BUT---- if you are a PC person buy a PC, if you are a Mac person buy a Mac....

Both have their pros and cons! There is NO PERFCT fit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course in the end, people outside this area of interest are not going to ask you what you use, they want to see what you do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kat Gilbert gener7​ I can't agree enough with what you both said. Well put and fully agreed. As I said a while back "To each his own"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 11.48.43 PM.png

Ooooh is that a Macbook I see in the "Into the Spider Verse" movie? Or perhaps a Dell or HP Mac "look-a-like" lol. Which brings me to this point. How come most pc i.e. machines that run windows hehe have all tried to copy the look, color and feel of a MacBook Pro yet I am yet to see a Dell look-a-like from Apple running Mac OS... Sorry I couldn't resist R Neil Haugen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple does design for the exterior of their devices quite nicely. Form over function at times, sadly ... or at least, at the cost of user choices/changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines