• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Monthly subscriptions

Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like many kids, love animation, love making it, but i can't afford 20 dollars a month. It's very bias to say "make it" on your ads, and expect little kids like me, to come up with a monthly subscription. Animation was gonna be one of my dream jobs, and when that was taken away from me, i  was depressed - i am depressed, my heart is broken. Yeah, i will probably be able to afford it in the future, but that's a different place, and i need practice. 20 dollars a month comes out to 240 dollars a year, and while you MAY be able to make money off of it, there are (and i could be wrong) 1 billion people on the internet. imagine trying to find one exact piece. You would need to pay a lot to get it to be noticed. 240 dollars a year is like asking for a cheap hotel. Animate does not provide you shelter, it does not feed you, nor does it give you water. Once again, this was going to be a career for me, but i can't afford a career that's 20 dollars or more a month. Sure there are free alternatives, but i love animate, and my trial, my 7 day trial made me feel right at home.

[The Forum comments forum is for issues with these forums themselves, so a moderator has moved this thread to somewhere more appropriate.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tools for a career cost money sometimes. A chef needs quality knives, pots, pans, etc. A mechanic needs a garage and many expensive tools. The same is true for plumbers, electricians, doctors, etc. Working with Adobe's software is actually a lot cheaper than many other career options!

If your life's dream was to be a mechanic, you might not be able to afford a garage with a lift and the dozens of tools necessary to repair cars right now, but you could learn as much as possible about cars now in preparation for the time when you can afford to get the needed equipment. The same is true for working with animation. Study the basics now, draw with a pen and paper, watch videos online of others' work, and immerse yourself in the craft as best you can. You will be much better prepared when the time comes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, once you get a career in it, Adobe's software can give you shelter, food, and water. I use Cinema 4D, After Effects, and Premiere Pro for my daily job. I've bought a house, buy my groceries, and pay my water bill with money I've earned using those three pieces of software.

How old are you? Find odd jobs you can do to earn $20 a month. I pay more than that every two weeks in the summer to the kid who mows my lawn. If you really want to do this, you'll find a way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with what Szalam has said. There are tools that cost that you need to advance your career, no matter what path you choose. When I was in high school - way before the digital age, I was very into photography. A 100 sheet box of photo paper cost me $20, not to mention, chemicals, film, enlarging equipment, etc. Now that box of paper runs about $300 to give you an idea of the comparable costs. All my free money went into my photography. At one point in high school I was working 3 jobs: delivering papers for the L.A. Times (1am to 6am), printing color portraits for a portrait photographer (3:30 pm to about 6 pm), and occasionally shooting jobs for the local paper. In college, I was working 60 hour weeks at a color photo lab. You do what you have to do to make it and advance your career, and a lot of that means sacrificing in other areas. You will get farther in life spending that $20 on software that you need, rather than spending it on movies, eating out, the latest electronic gadgets, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you wished to become an engineer, would you expect someone to supply all the tools required for nothing just because you are learning?

The reality of life is that no company can afford to give their products away for free, and if they did that cost would have to be recuperated from those who do pay for the products. I have no intention of paying for your 'tools'.

You could tell your parents/carers/elders, that you wish them to buy you the product as a present, instead of holidays or other 'treats'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What i am trying to say, is i would like to just pay once, then to keep paying. The cost of 20 dollars a month will pass however much the perpetual cost is, doesn't matter how long, its gonna pass it eventually. I come from a poor family, we don't have the money to pay 20 dollars a month. I do not expect all of the tools to be right there. All i am saying, is that i would prefer the option to choose between a perpetual license, and a monthly subscription. And besides, something might come up, medical bills that costs thousands of dollars, anything, and in that time, i would prefer to not have to pay to keep it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some people have been saying that ever since Adobe switched from CS6 to Cloud subscriptions

It hasn't  happened yet, and I don't think it will ever happen

So your choice is Adobe programs for a monthly fee, or a program that does the same work, from a different company

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dinoanimator  wrote

Animation was gonna be one of my dream jobs, and when that was taken away from me, i  was depressed - i am depressed, my heart is broken.

I'm sorry to hear that you have given up on your dream job because you can't or are unwilling to find extra jobs or give up something else to save money to make this work for you. In the end, that is your choice, of course.

It's nice to hear that you enjoyed the free week. How long do you think it would take to start making money off your investment so that it begins to pay for itself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

dinoanimator   wrote

Animation was gonna be one of my dream jobs, and when that was taken away from me, i  was depressed - i am depressed, my heart is broken.

I'm sorry to hear that you have given up on your dream job because you can't or are unwilling to find extra jobs or give up something else to save money to make this work for you. In the end, that is your choice, of course.

It's nice to hear that you enjoyed the free week. How long do you think it would take to start making money off your investment so that it begins to pay for itself?

It depends, i want to upload on youtube, but there is already so much animations up on there, i think it would take a long time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, i did upload on youtube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dinoanimator  wrote

I like many kids...

I like many kids, too.  I think what you're trying to say is you LIKE Animation.  But you DON'T LIKE to pay for software.   Have you tried any of the open source products?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i have. All of them either turn a circle i drew into a line, or some weird shape, or they aren't frame by frame animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dinoanimator  wrote

Yes, i have. All of them either turn a circle i drew into a line, or some weird shape, or they aren't frame by frame animation.

You could create your stills or frames in a vector graphics drawing app.

Have you ever tried Inkscape?  It's similar in some ways to Illustrator.

https://inkscape.org/en/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry i meant, I, like many kids not i like them. (If that's even correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, i willing to pay for software, but not a monthly subscription one. I feel we should get the choice between a 20 dollars monthly subscription, and something like a 600 dollar (or however much they charge) permanent license. Think of it like this, anything could happen, a medical emergency, a storm that tears down your house, and you lose all your data, you can't pay.

Plus, monthly subscriptions are INFINITELY long - they never end (unless you stop using the software), but a static cost will end, and a monthly subscription, can come out to thousands, tens of thousands of dollars. I for one would rather pay how ever much is there permanent. (and i do get that they are making more money off of this, but i feel as a customer, we should get the choice to choose on which pricing we want to buy). i think it's about making the customer happy, and getting money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*am willing to pay for software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're over 13 and have access to a credit or debit card, you can pay annually instead of monthly.   But perpetual licenses are gone for good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am 12. I come from a very poor family that on an average survives on 50 or more dollars to get groceries. Not that much. I don't have any neighbors i know that i can mow their lawn, or anything. The only thing i have done, am are trying to do is put my art on deviant art, and sell stuff online

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dinoanimator  wrote

I am 12.

dinoanimator

Please keep that dream of being an animator. You can do this! Follow the advice given by others, and do what you can do now by watching free tutorials and using other software or learning to code. Work hard and develop your skills. Tell your teachers and other adults what you are trying to do. There may be something in the school system for you--if not this year then next year or the year after.

Best of luck to you and all that you do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! By the way i am home-schooled .-.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're twelve? Then you have nothing to worry about!

I grew up the same way as you (poor and homeschooled), but (for a large portion of my childhood) with less money.

So I understand your struggle. Do what I did: learn with what you have available to you even without money. Learn to consume media smartly. When you are watching animations, learn from them. Why is that movement funny? Why does that movement suggest danger? Etc.

Draw, draw, draw.

Make flip book animations to test timing.

Grab open source software and play with it.

Learn as much as you can.

Don't fret about not having access to Animate now. By the time you're old enough to worry about having a career, all of the software is going to be different! The fundamentals of animation though, will still be the same. Learn the fundamentals; not software. (You could start here.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice... keep posting your work! Have you heard of Adobe's Artist in Residency program? This could be you in a few years... Adobe Creative Residency | Adobe

Keep creating, learning, connecting with mentors that are doing the kind of work you want to do. Where there is a will there is a way.

When you start to think you don't have what you need don't believe that. It's an unproductive thought. Animate your ideas with a story board on paper and post it for comments. Check these out: https://www.google.com/search?q=animation+storyboard+sketching&client=firefox-b-1-ab&tbm=isch&tbo=u&...

Animators start out sketching and drawing. Software is dumb - first you have to know how to develop your ideas constructively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dude! (not sarcastically just to be clear)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks, i am going to learn how to code. I have already thought out the design for my animation software, just having a little trouble trying to figure out what language i should use to code my interface, make it interactive, make the brush, the frames, etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dinoanimater - can you post a link to your artwork on Deviant Art? I'd love to see what you've been working on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines