• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paint to photo ?

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photo to paint exists. But what about the reverse? Paint to photo ? It would make it possible to get a photographic image of old paintings. Impossible or does it exist already ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is this in reference to? Which Adobe program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wondered whether it already exists. If not, there is a need for it. If it does exist, I would like to know which program. I don't know who I should ask, so I posted this (interest) here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am familiar with Photoshop but I would think other Adobe programs like Illustrator and InDesign have the Paint Brush tool that you can use to paint, color, over image files.

Not sure exactly what you are asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry for the confusion. I am not a seasoned photoshop user. What I mean is the following: in some picture software programs there are filters with which a photo can be rendered (changed) in a painted impression (e.g.: oil paint, water paint, sketch etc...). There are many, many such filters, and the algorithms used are getting better and better. Now, I wondered whether the opposite effect could be possible ? In other words an algorithm that could render a painted image into a "photographic" picture  - as if taken by a camera ?

There is a reason for my request. I am studying the 14th century painting by Van Eyck "the Ghent altar piece". You can look it up in fine detail in the website "closertovaneyck" (courtesy of The Getty Foundation). Take a look at any of the extremely detailed, beautiful paintings of the faces. Wouldn't it be great if a software could turn these into pictures with photographic quality, as if the  "real" 14th century models would stand in front of you?

In the past I thought this would never be possible . But with ever more powerful software, with AI,  I now do believe it could be possible (if not yet available). Not to know how Omer Simpson would look in real life (ridiculous, anatomically impossible) but how realistically painted faces would have looked like in a photo. Wouldn't it be great to see how Mona Lisa looked like in real life ?

If this is not the right forum for such question, accept my apologies. I would be most obliged if you could direct me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no response to your question.

I would not find that something I would do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry.  No filter could possibly make Van Gough's Irises look like a photo of real rises. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could take a painting and give it some photographic effects in Photoshop.

Irises by Vincent Van Gogh  (image courtesy of the J.Paul Getty Institute)

Daguerreotype style made with adjustment layers and filters. Early Daguerreotypes were long exposures --  often 15-30 minutes.  Blur & uneven chemical stains were quite common.

Bokeh lens effect.

So to answer your question, Photoshop's native Filters and Adjustment tools can give you some interesting photographic effects.  But it you want realism, you'll need to stage it and shoot it yourself.  Or composite it from stock photographs.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines