• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about selling photos privately

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a good friend who does software development. He may need artwork for some apps he is developing. He has seen my work on Facebook and Instagram and would like to buy what he needs directly from me. I know I need a signed contract and have been researching that aspect, but I have no idea what to charge for the type of usage he's talking about. Can someone give me a ballpark? $15? $150? $1500? Any help or advice would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a good thing. However, If you contribute to Adobe Stock, and your friend buys from Adobe Stock, you do not set the prices or payment, Adobe do. If you aren't planning on using Adobe Stock, then this isn't really the place to discuss it, it seems to me... but maybe someone can reasonably refer to the sort of place this discussion does take place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I understand tht it's a little weird to be asking this here but I had hoped that there might be some people who have run into this situation. In general, I would certainly use Adobe but this particular person is an old friend and it just seemed appropriate to deal directly with him. I think most people would do the same. If anyone has a suggestion of somewhere else to ask this question, I'll be happy to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rates vary greatly and depend on what kind of work you're doing, how long you've been doing it and what the market will bear in your region.  But for the sake of this discussion, let's say you're creating custom logos, a branding kit, website design and product packaging for an internationally distributed product based in the United States.  A well respected agency would likely charge $30,000  - $250,000 while an unknown freelancer might charge as little as $5,000  - $10,000.   There's no one-size fits all here.

http://superherodesign.co/logo-branding-packaging-website-design-pricing-guide-2019-youre-welcome/

I'm moving this from Adobe Stock Contributors to The Lounge which is a more appropriate space for this question.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for moving my query. I was not aware that this area existed. As far as my original question, I wasn't talking about anything that complicated. This person wants to purchase one or more of my already existing photographs to use in some software he is developing. I'm not sure which type of license this would come under; commercial or advertising. And what someone might charge per image in either case.  

Lilli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does he want to purchase the images outright or license them form you?  Big difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He wants to license them to be used as clipart within some software he is developing. He isn't a big corporation or anything; just a free-lancer. I'm just an experienced amateur who is just dipping my toes into the world of stock photography as a contributor. To try to firm up my question (I'm learning as I go here 🙂 ) what would be a reasonable ballpark fee for commercial use vs advertising use for, say 3-5 years (I think that's the approximate lifespan of a software application but will need more research on that). 

Thanks for your help

Lilli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This discussion from 10 years ago is still relevant I think. 

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2825879

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I think even this is a bit more complex than my situation but it's good to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines