• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

secure vs. e commerce

Engaged ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to sell interactive PDF's. and with a time expiration date for use.

What will be best? To make a secure zone for each PDF in a paid secure zone or can it be done in the E commerce?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

It's not hard to put an expiration date on digital media downloads if you know how to work with server-side scripts and databases.  While the download link expires after X # of days, the media files themselves do not suddenly vanish from the user's computer.  I'm not sure if that's even possible with a downloaded PDF.

If your courses were on a secure web site instead of PDF,  and only accessible by members with a proper ID and password, you could avoid many of these problems.

This is a technical q

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nilleg57851248  wrote

I want to sell interactive PDF's. and with a time expiration date for use.

what happens when the date runs out;

• the pdf can no longer be downloaded
  • any pdf that was already downloaded deletes itself from the local system
  • if some person sets their system clock to next year (i.e, past the expiration date)
  • if that person sets their system clock back to last year... does it start working again?
  • what part of this pdf makes it interactive
  • what country [countries] is the pdf allowed to be sold in... more to the point what country is the host server where these pdf files are stored

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He he. Yes I wish nr 2 could be done 🙂

What I want to avoid is that my classes I do on pDF shall be spread world wide, on Facebook etc. Then my business would be finish

So I was thinking to make a time limit for how long time my costumers can download the PDF. I know it is only a psysical border, but what else to do?

In the PDF will be  text animation's and video's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope to sell to all vikings all over the world

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not hard to put an expiration date on digital media downloads if you know how to work with server-side scripts and databases.  While the download link expires after X # of days, the media files themselves do not suddenly vanish from the user's computer.  I'm not sure if that's even possible with a downloaded PDF.

If your courses were on a secure web site instead of PDF,  and only accessible by members with a proper ID and password, you could avoid many of these problems.

This is a technical question though that should be posted in an appropriate technical forum.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So If I make a secure zone in BC and add my content there it would be good?

Shall I then make a secure Zone for each course or can I give my costumers person access to the different courses they buy?

To which technical forum can I post this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

imo pdf is the wrong tool for this job

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only possible way to 'revoke' access to a PDF file is to use Digital Rights Management, such as Adobe's LiveCycle enterprise software. Even then the file is never deleted, it simply cannot be opened with that user's login details.

LiveCycle ES is only sold to large-scale organizations and costs run into the tens of thousands of dollars per server. For individual authors and vanity publishers, sell your work through a third party eBook distributor that handles the DRM, or forget about trying to control revocation and increase your cover price to offset the expected percentage of piracy. Unless you are selling millions of books, or the content is security classified, the costs of running a DRM system vastly outweigh the losses from pirated copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if I do not use PDF but add the content to a muse page and then do that a secure zone. Wouldn't that work?

And if so. Do I need a secure zone foe each product? - For each course?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you been to Lynda.com instructional web site?  I would use that as your distribution model.  One subscription price (paid monthly or yearly) entitles users to full access of all available courses & materials.  When their subscription expires, access to the courses terminates.  I don't think that's possible to do with a Muse web site. 

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🙂 That musT t be the one I have not seen. Will take a look.

Thank you for all your good help. It is really fantastic service 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Referencing to your additional request, where to put information for customers about courses, if you put those courses on individual subfolders/subpages so that your domain www.yourcourses.com have its courses on www.yourcourses.com/course_1 …+++

you could use a "disabler" widget for muse, and disable right clicks, disable text mark possibilities and disable copy text.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-06-06 um 10.40.09.png

If your course is finished, delete this subfolder. It will never be viewable on the www.

You could do nothing against screenshots, though.

You could make clear that there´s a copyright.

Does this help?

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't suggest people use "disable right click" to protect their content.  It's no protection whatsoever. 

Disable Right Click: a bad joke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy, what you suggest for photos for me is like what for you might be the disabler.

Watermarked pictures are really not nice to watch. For me as a photographer, I want people to watch pictures.

Heavily watermarks for me is no solution. For this we use copyright. If somebody uses my pictures without my permission, they get an invoice .

I suggested to use a disabler because nilleg57851248​​ was very afraid of people using the courses material after the course is finished.

I am with you, that total security is not reachable. But it makes it more complicated, doesn`t it. Against people with criminal intentions, no chance, I guess.

As of this reading you only advised security for photos and not for text.

That writing, I think for security reasons to use system fonts instead of webfonts. System fonts in Muse are exported as pictures instead of text. So this text is not readable, and (thanks for the hint not to use disable right click) there´s no additional widget necessary.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quoted from Digimarc's website:

"Digital watermarking is imperceptible to human senses, Digimarc’s digital watermarking technology allows users to embed digital information into audio, images, video and printed materials in a way that is persistent, imperceptible and easily detected by computers and digital devices."

Digimarc | About Digital Watermarking

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fotoroeder  wrote

System fonts in Muse are exported as pictures instead of text. So this text is not readable..

Oh, that's terrible.  Images of text cannot be indexed, searched, translated, scaled or interpreted by screen readers.  For all intents & web purposes, that text does not exist.  What were they thinking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They think as nilleg57851248​ she likes it, that people do not use her courses after the course expired.

As my suggestion from above, this page should not be found at all by google. The courses are only for her customers.

It should not be copied at all. That´s, why these pages/sites should be on subfolders.

I would, of course, never use system fonts for websites . My suggestion is only meant as a workaround for this security purposes .

But, screenshots are still done quickly.

As of this reading there was no suggestion till now for text security . This also is only a workaround for non coders.

Coders might find a better solution, yet there is none, is it?

At the end, what do you think about it nilleg57851248​?

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines