Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something we all can relate to.

Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CzPJt_dUoAE3Ms0.jpg

We can make this a thread to post relevant cartoons, photo edits, memes and other assorted witticisms.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 732 Replies 732
Guru ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are absolutely right -- it's called "irony"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The melting ice graphic has got me worried. For it to be true, the ice would need to have a greater volume than the water, which follows because if that were not true it wouldn't float.  But the point about glassiers and large areas of icecaps being being on land is obvioulsy significant.  I read recently about Greenland having up two miles of ice over much of its land mass.  The second largest ice sheet on the planet after Antarctic. Wikipedia says that adds up to 684,000 cubic miles, and if were all to melt, it raise sea levels by a catastrophic 24 feet.  This in an area where ships are now able to actually reach the North Pole!

Image result for ship reach north pole

That same Wikipedia page appears to suggest that the melting of the Greenland icecap is inevitable, but there is disagreement about how long this will take — anywhere between 100 and 1000 years.

This is verging into non sequitur territory, because it is largely caused by snow melt rather than melting glassier, but the Tasman Glassier is one of our biggest, and is receding the same as the better known Fox and Franz Joseph glassiers.   NZ’s ‘braided’ rivers are caused by the massive contrast in flow between seasons, and the Tasman river below Mount Cook village is our widest braided river.

This shows an above average flow, but the river plain is about three kilometres wide near Mount Cook, and during the spring snow melt the water will stretch across the entire width! 

That's a lot of water!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a website that keeps daily tabs on sea ice: Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis | Sea ice data updated daily with one-day lag

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahahhaa!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dc810f66d86c8e327cfef3f168201ed75899ac493ba50d0ad5616d2db7249eda.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will have to be saved if you want to loop it.

DJKyhGGUEAALfUa.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Designer is a profession, and an art.

S-ucks.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ JR_Boulay

Okay. That one got me to laugh out loud (not easy on a Monday). Thank you.

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"But my cousin has a computer and says he can do this cheap."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7  wrote

"But my cousin has a computer and says he can do this cheap."

"...so please tell me how I can do it myself so I don't have to pay you to do it."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If he has nothing else going on, the answer would be: "I'd be more than happy to. Here are my tutoring rates, $60/hr and you pay for materials."

I also recall a Lounge member...I wish I knew which one...was at an interview for a project. One of the people asking the questions actually said, "Why should I pay you $$$ when I can get an art student to do it for a six-pack of beer?"

With the most restraint I've seen in a while, he got up and as he was leaving said, "you get what you pay for."

And another Lounge classic:  A print shop got a request from a place that must have let their designer go:

Client "Do you still have the original files our designer sent you?"

"Yes, I'll transfer them"

Client calls back: "Uh...it's only one file ... something.zip"

"That's correct, we archived all the files as a zip. I'll send along Winzip if you don't have a unzip utility, and they will all be in a folder."

Phone rings again: "We unzipped it, but how do we open these .ai and .psd files?

"Ai can be opened with Adobe Illustrator, and PSD with Adobe Photoshop."

Client: "Can you send those along too?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having had a portrait studio for lo these 40 years ... back when there was a LOT more high-school seniors having major portrait work done professionally, we had several parents who 1) complained vociferously our prices were too high and 2) threatened to cut our business in the community unless we donated a LOT more than we were already giving to the parent's athletic supporter's club.

When very young, this was somewhat intimidating. I finally got fed up with getting this, when I got it from a dad bringing his second kid in, who'd said the same thing the first time around.

So I just bluntly said his comments were irrational.

At his stunned look ... I mean, how dare I do anything but cower, right? ... I said that as we also had our employees and family to care for, his wanting us to both cut our income dramatically ... to the point of firing the employees and going on welfare ... and contribute a ton more the the athletic supporter's was clearly impossible.

So, I gave him the option ... do you want my employees fired, and our family on food-stamps, or do perhaps you want us to make more money so we could give more to the athletic supporters? He couldn't have both.

He sat there sputtering ... and said something to the effect that it couldn't be that bad, everyone has their basic salaries and benefits to fall back on.

I asked him where our income comes from ... he just stared, and said, why ... your salary of course. Where's that come from? ... And he just stuttered a bit.

So I asked where his salary came from ... well, the school district, where he worked ... right.

Then told him we didn't get a salary or benefits, we got what was left over after bills, utilities, and employees all got paid. And every dime to pay everything came from what our customers, like him, purchased. He just stared at me like I was a loon or something. And repeated "Everybody gets a salary! They have to give you a salary & benes!"

So I asked who that someone would be that would pay us ... and after he spluttered for at least 30 seconds, he clearly finally understood something he'd never comprehended before.

Businesses and other "self-employed" people only get paid from the amounts their customers pay for goods/services.

I will say somewhat in his defense, after that realization hit him, he was rather embarrassed. Seriously so. I thought a well-deserved embarrassment, but ... he didn't give us any more guff. Nor apparently did he badmouth us. As I asked some mutual acquaintances.

Don't you just love the narcissistic folks who complain about our charges? Never yet met one who was embarrassed to get paid well themselves ... hmmmm ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is ironic? The previous post? Or the picture with two people who have a canoe, but don't seem to grasp the proper seating arrangement?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the first post was meant to be ironic, but maybe it was just too subtle.

The two paddlers facing each other is merely a sign of the times, I would say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good graphics explains ideas clear, simple and effectively...even if the idea is wrong.

I don't know if that's the irony, though. You would have to explain that for those of us that don't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KJerryK  wrote

Well, the first post was meant to be ironic, but maybe it was just too subtle.

The two paddlers facing each other is merely a sign of the times, I would say.

Subtle and ironic to you, maybe. But I have now encountered that exact same "theory" on way too many other websites where it was being presented as absolute truth and proof; so I take no chances and take the opportunity to educate.

The paddlers facing each other is my comment on the "logic" of that supposed "theory".

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the subject steered to Climate Change, here's one by Sarah Anderson:

C5hXcZtU0AEIMrz.jpg_orig.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Truth in advertising:

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 8.33.35 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw that botulism recall on the morning news.  It's no joke. That's a real product.  And I wondered what the heck they were thinking with that brand name!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, are you familiar with San Francisco?  

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/R+Neil+Haugen  wrote

Nancy, are you familiar with San Francisco?  

Yeah.  I used to live there.  But my drink was cappuccino .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The staff ethic and dress code is interesting.

https://www.deathwishcoffee.com/collections/about-death-wish-coffee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haute couture it's not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 11.47.17 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines