Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wilbert the Wiz

Contributor ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sit back and relax, take a break

Here's a magical fantasy story to keep you awake and to keep everyone motivated, for fun. 

Wilbert the Wizard and the Thieving Troll

Once upon a time there lived a king in a castle in the magical world of Storagia. It was an enchanted place where diverse people could meet wizards, witches, werewolves, trolls and more. It didn’t matter what you were, and this isn’t your generic fairytale. The king had 3 descendants. 2 sons and 1 daughter. His daughter was known as Bella the princess. The maiden that fell in love with another man, from the village. Not a prince, more of a scrappy village worker, but they’re cute together. But this is a different story. One of the brothers who stood on the side lines until one day he decided to contribute to the world.

One story about a son named Wilbert. He was a mage prince, but he wasn’t quite as rich as his father or siblings. He was more of a street mage fending for himself flipping over tomes and books in his home smaller than trailer. That’s me. My story begins at a mage market. I stood at a mage stand trying to make myself a good bargain.

“Please will you just lend me the crystal ball?” I asked insistently. The seller’s head rested in his hands as if he were already tired of my pleas. He tapped his fingers on his small wood plank table waiting for me to offer something reasonable.  

“No gems, no ball, so pack your things and go, you’re holding up the line.” The seller said impatiently. He had a long black beard and wore a purple robe. He wore plenty of jewelry and had a go away look in his eye. What captured his appearance the most was his silver nose ring that swung when he snorted.

“I really just want to for see my fate.” I spoke.  I questioned what I was destined for, since I wasn’t in the kingdom with my father anymore. My brother had gone off into who knows where to learn about his origins while my sister ran off with her mysterious boyfriend. Does that leave me in place to oversee the kingdom? I ask myself that question every day.

“Your fate is I’m kicking you out of the market. Now go back to your dump street mage, you don’t belong here.” He replied angrily. I wanted this muff to shut up already. I knew he was only doing his job and had no intent of putting up a fight.

I clenched my wand knowing it was wrong to perform magic to harm anyone else.  I let go and walked away. I had issues to work out anyways. Lately I’ve had a mysterious troll stealing from me. Or at least I assumed. Trolls were good for nothing thieves only making my life even more of a struggle. I was never biased to trolls, but after I start losing rations is when I slowly begin to lose my temper.

That troll was stealing all my food to be exact. From the pantry, from the fridge, and under the sink. Everything. Which isn’t a good thing when your father lends his daughter the riches. That’s because she’s the youngest one in the family. Youngest needs the most support, I guess. Adulthood was impossible for a failure like me to grow into.

I was 18 now, and to show my maturity, I needed to put a stop to this trolling. My door creaked open when I walked inside. I did live in a small cottage. My spell book lies on my desk, and I began flipping through it. There’s a specific protection spell I wanted to use around my house. When I found the spell, I stepped outside to perform it. I’ve performed multiple times mostly to prevent my sister’s boyfriend from paying me any visits. He wasn’t someone I trusted, seemed very “wise” in age.

I walked out the front door of my cottage whipping my wand from my pocket. I closed my eyes and concentrated on the placement of the spell.

“Protecto Horon!” I say a loud. A dome began to form around my property. It was a florescent purple color. Small waves of color flowed the dome that was forming all around my property. Should hold up for a few hours I assume as it has before.

As the dome finished forming, I heard a loud screech. The wail pounded on my ear drums. I hated the noise. It was somewhat close to where I lived. I looked west and saw a slight shadow which seemed to be the causing of the wailing. An old green arm with sharp nails came into view. It was caught in my protection spell; it was a troll. Why on earth would I help someone who was stealing from me? It looked, hopeless. I couldn’t resist the pity that curled up on my soul. I followed the sound until a small green figure came into vision.

I slowly inched closer to the creature. It seemed to be caught in the protective spell. I immediately discasted it. The dome imploded into nothing but glowing dust. The troll fell to its side. A massive scar lined its chest, deep green blood oozing from the cut. Now I felt extremely guilty now. A life of troll potentially ended for petty theft.

I picked the small troll up into my arms. He must’ve been cut in the protection spell. He was bleeding everywhere, as it was even a pain to my eyes. This was bad. His small scaly body was cold and wet. He closed his eyes and his ears folded down. A few grey hairs emerged from the rough green scalp of the troll.

“I’ll get you some shelter.” I said I felt bad and now my responsibility was to take care of this troll. I began to feel pity for him. If only I had an enchanted mushroom, I can heal him. His head rested on my shoulder as I took him in to my cottage. I laid him in my bed, and yes, I didn’t care how disgusting it was. I had compassion for creatures, it’s just who I was. He murmured either in some language I didn’t understand in gibberish, than moaned intensely. I wrapped him in covers tight enough to slow the bleeding.

I had a new mission now. Not to get rid of trolls but take care of this one. If only I knew where an enchanted mushroom could be. They’re incredibly rare. Where was I going to find an enchanted mushroom? In the enchanted forest. I took my wand and headed into the forest. Many mythical creatures lurk in the forest. It is extremely dangerous. Many bones lie in the ground there. Wandering into it was a mistake of a fool, but I didn’t hesitate as a creature’s life was on the line.

In the distance I saw a gleaming brand new shiny golden enchanted mushroom. But then I ran into another issue of its own. A baby dragon was near it. Its glossy blue scales reflected the sunlight coming through the trees. It was an Ice Dragon. It would attack me if I got too cocky about it. The dragon was playing with the mushroom. So many creatures around today butterfly in the air and bee’s buzzing through trees. I did have to admit the frost dragon was adorable.

I didn’t want to get close to it because I knew its mother would come. I waited for a few moments and its mother never came. It was so close to the mushroom. It was literally toying with the mushroom which was ridiculous because I had a troll at my house that was on the bridge of death. I had to make a move and make it soon.

I slowly crept up to it. It made the cutest noise like a small squeal that was very quiet. It was happy I could tell. It was cute. Too cute.

When the dragon saw me, it shivered and whimpered distastefully. It seemed to be scared and alone. It probably lost its parents. I slowly picked it up to move away from the mushroom and. It felt very cold, ice cold. Its scales were smooth and clear. “Oh, my Horon it’s so cute.” It looked up at me with its deep blue eyes. It tucked in its little wings. It rested on the inside of arms smooth as silk. I might care for this as well as the troll. I was a caretaker now. I couldn’t leave him out here alone as a prey to others.

I plucked the mushroom from the ground and put into the pocket in my robe pocket. I walked out of the opening in the forest. The issue was now I had no idea where I was.  I had come in from the South side, where was I? I had lost my sense of direction

I began walking in one direction. A mysterious figure stood in the way. What seemed to be a holy spirit.

“Visitor I welcome you to my forest.” She said. It was the Queen of the forest. Queen of life itself.

I knelt and bowed to her. “Your Majesty.” I said.

“I realized you have encountered this dragon in the forest. Do you wish to care for it? He’s been out here all alone for months.” Mother Nature asked.

“Well uh, I was just kind of worried about it. It’s parents never came. I have business to attend to so...” I replied then got cut off.

“Very well. It is yours to take care of. Its parents were slain by knights of the northern kingdom. At least I’m told. Hopefully it’s okay.” She said.

“Yes, your majesty. I will take care of this dragon for you.” I said. A troll and a dragon were a lot of responsibility.

“Thank you.” She said as she slowly faded and began gliding away.

She had led me to the path that led to my cottage. The path lighted by vivid blooming flowers led in me in the right direction. I could see his cottage in the distance. I still had time and I could hurry and save the troll.

The door burst open to his cottage. I had to get to the troll as soon as possible.

“I got the mushroom just hold still.” I said rushing in to help him.

“Troll is appreciative of your mercy.” It replied

“What’s your name?” I asked while mashing up the mushroom.

“Togath. Son of Togar.” The troll said.

“Open.” I said pouring the enchanted liquid into his mouth. With a touch of magic, life could be healed. The slit along his stomach began to fade and regenerate itself. Even the scar itself had begun to fade.

“Thank your kind mage sir. Hopefully I will see you again.” The troll said.

“Yeah, but this time don’t try to steal all my food.” I replied.

I said farewell to my troll friend. He exited the cottage. Now I got to take care of this dragon. We’ll first I had to think of a name for it.

The troll had torn through my refrigerator and now all the food was going to turn rotten. I needed a way to conserve it. That’s when my dragon did something useful. He used his ice-cold blue scale wings to slowly refreeze all my food under some sort of ice spell.

“Wow. Very interesting. I think I’m going to call you Frostwing.” I said.

Frostwing jumped up on my leg. Then began circling around them. It’s true he does like me.

I checked my mailbox because with all the craziness going on today I had completely forgotten about it. I had a letter from the king It read:

Dear Wilbert,

I’ve heard what you’ve done today. Saving two lives from what could’ve been awful. Keep training to become a mage. I don’t give you any riches because I want you to grow to be strongest battle mage ever. Come over tonight for dinner. You and your siblings need to be together again for once.

Sincerely, Your Father, Mcneuton Dunuton.

“Free dinner sounds good to me. Wonder how he got the news in five seconds.” I said to myself.

………………………………..

Later that day I met up with my siblings at the castle.

“Bella, I haven’t seen you in forever.” I said trying to spark conversation.

“Yeah I’ve been busy were inviting another man to dinner tonight named Snitzel.” She said.

“Snitzel who is that?” My other brother Samuel asked.

“We can talk about it at dinner. And there’s three elves to.” Bella said.

“I thought this was a family dinner.” I said.

“We’re treating them as family tonight.” Bella replied.

We all entered the castle. I noticed 4 unidentified figures. I was an old man holding a candy cane as a cane. The other 3 were little elves as Bella had stated.

“So, is there something you want to talk about?” I asked my dad.

“We’ll I guess Bella is finally getting out of the castle.”

“What about you Samuel?” I asked

“That’s a story for another time.” He replied.

The street mage’s quest would be here. Would he really come to be the most powerful mage? Coming soon “Wilbert the Wizard and the Underwater City” Chapter 2

The End

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recommended reading:

The Elements of Style by William Strunk & E.B. White.

https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Style-Fourth-William-Strunk/dp/020530902X

My favorite book on proper writing. 😇

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, who are your favourite authors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Short story writing requires great talent and discipline. Few people do it well.

Short Story writers  -- off the top of my head; in no particular order: 

William Saroyan, Vladimir Nabokov, Shirley Jackson, E.B. White, Ernest Hemingway, Philip K. Dick.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines