• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 11 and ONE old program from 2013

Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My wife uses the very old Quicken 2013 to keep track of 3 checking accounts (hers, ours and her small online business) which I installed on Win10 for her when I replaced her old/slow computer running Win8.1

She did NOT want to change, so we were going to just keep her on Win10 until support stopped, then switch her over to a different program (I had tried and her Q2013 would NOT install on my Win11 computer)

While I was clicking around and reading various things I found that the new subscription Quicken would continue working after a subscription expired (Delux and above versions) for a check register, just no online functions at all

Since she currently does not download bank information, I convinced her to let me upgrade her Win10 to Win11 for free... and if her Q2013 stopped working I would buy a new Quicken Deluxe that she could keep using after the 1st year subscription expired

Step one was to use the backup program I bought to make an image of her C drive, to be able to restore that image if the Win11 upgrade caused any other problems (*)

Next was the half hour or so process to download & install & update Windows 11

Once the final update & restart was done I did a few minor housekeeping chores... move the pinned programs from center to bottom left & select a 'theme' for her screen background (started blank/black)

Then it was program test time... everything, including her very old Quicken 2013 runs exactly the same as before

Kudos to Microsoft for maintaining backwards compatibility in Windows 11

(*) I have actually used my backup program to restore an image one time... when a small program I bought made a MESS of the Windows Registry file... a Windows restore point did not help, so I restored my most recent image file (I don't remember the name of the bad program, that was about 3 years ago)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad it worked out.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines