Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe fonts not loading into MS Word 365

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About 2 weeks ago, I ran into the following problem:

When I select an Adobe font (e.g., Adobe Garamond Pro, Garamond Premier Pro, Brioso Pro, Minion 3), even though the font name displays correctly in the ribbon's font list, the text of the document uses a substitute font (which appears to be Arial) and the document also prints as displayed, i.e., in Arial.

The problem seems to be limited to Word. The fonts work okay in Excel.

Non-Adobe fonts, such as Sabon Next LT and Times New Roman seem to work okay. It may be that Word is okay with TT-OTF fonts but not with CFF-OTF fonts, but I haven't been able to do enough testing to know that for sure. In any event, Word USED to work with the Adobe fonts until a couple of weeks ago.

I have reinstalled all my fonts. I have uninstalled and reinstalled MS Office 365, all to no avail. Microsoft support has been unhelpful. I'm hoping I can get some answers here.

In research, I found others had encountered similar problems with Word and Adobe fonts going back a decade. Some people solved the problem with the two fixes I tried, but I have been unable to find any solutions that work for me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What System are you on?

The fonts you mention work just fine in M365 on my system (Mac)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Windows. However, the problem has happened to people using Apple computers as well.

It is NOT a problem being experienced by most people using a particular system. It seems to be a problem that occurs occasionally to people using different versions of Office and various versions of their OS. It seems to be an anomoly in a file used by Word to select fonts, which is not used by other programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[just checking my updates] As there was an update to M365 on Oct 12, I'm going to suspect Microsoft breaking something. Not much help, I know, but I too have seen many reports of issues for a couple of years with the Word (just Word) and CFF-OTF. (shrug)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem goes back about 3 months and is not occurring on my other machine using the same version of Microsoft 365.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Others have had the same problem going back at least a decade. It seems to be fairly infrequent, but not due to something new in Word.I am guessing Word uses a different routine than other programs (including other programs in MS Office) to pull font information since the problem occurs only in Word and in Outlook, which uses Word to compose messages).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines