• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Jenson MM and Microsoft Word 2019

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ten or fifteen years ago, I purchased Adobe Jenson MM. I even put it into my logo. It has worked perfectly with MS Word, 2010, but refuses to work with MS Word 2019, which I installed when I bought a new MacBook Pro. Fortunately I kept the MS Word 2010, but I woul dlove to know how to get Jenson to work with the new Word 2019.

TOPICS
Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the years I purchased Creative Suite 2 Premium and Illustrator. As it turned out I only used Photoshop, Acrobat Reader and whatever one uses to make a adjust a PDF. I do not remember with what Adobe product Jenson was included. 

Lately I signed up for the basic Photoshop $9.99 a month subscription. How do I get Jenson MM to work with MS Word 2019? 

I would be happy to simply have the basics: Regular, Small Caps, Italic, Italic Small Caps, and the font where

the OE are combined onto one character. Any help anyone can provide will be appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you never purchased Adobe Jenson MM itself, but a license to use Adobe Jenson MM.

Adobe has not licensed the Adobe Jenson MM font, a Multiple Master Type 1 version of Adobe Jenson, for approximately 20 years. You could not have licensed that font family directly from Adobe 10 to 15 years ago. At the time InDesign 1.0 was released, Adobe discontinued any additional or continued support for Multiple Master Type 1 fonts. With some rare exceptions, all fonts in the Adobe Type Library were reissued as OpenType CFF fonts. In the case of Multiple Master Type 1 fonts, each of the predefined instances of the Multiple Masters became distinct font styles. Furthermore, what were specialized small caps, swash, and old style figure font variants were all merged into the base OpenType CFF font. One of the major features and advantages of OpenType versus either the Type 1 or original TrueType font formats was the ability to support concepts such as small caps, swash characters, old style figures, ligatures, etc. within a single font coordinating with applications that support these features of OpenType fonts.

On Windows, Microsoft no longer supports Type 1 fonts (including Multiple Master fonts) in any Office versions beyond Office 2013. For that matter, Windows doesn't support installation of Type 1 Multiple Master fonts at all although it does continue to support installation of simple (i.e., not Multiple Master) Type 1 fonts.

On MacOS, Apple still supports installation and use of Type 1 fonts although I personally don't know if it still supports installation of Type 1 Multiple Master fonts. I believe that Office 2019 on MacOS still supports simple Type 1 fonts but I don't know about Multiple Master Type 1 fonts.

Bottom line is that if you like Adobe Jenson (it is an absolutely gorgeous, well designed, and well executed font by Adobe's Principal Font Designer, Robert Slimbach), the replacement for Adobe Jenson MM is the Adobe Jenson Pro OpenType font family that is available with 32 distinct styles (including light, light italic, regular, italic, semibold, semibold italic, bold, and bold italic as well as caption, subhead, and display optical sizes of those basic eight styles). Each font includes support for not only the Western Latin character set, but also support for small caps, lower case numerals, extended ligatures, fractions, etc.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, in order ot use my favorite font, you are suggesting I purchase exactly what? Sorry, Jenson has sooooo many choices that make it difficult to figure this out. I am a sculptor, not a web genious. Thank you for your help. ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Assuming that you have and maintain the monthly Adobe Photography subscription, you also get access to the Adobe Fonts service at https://fonts.adobe.com/ . At https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/adobe-jenson you can see all the available Adobe Jenson typefaces that you can activate. Once activated (you can activate any number of them based on your needs; you don't need to activate all 32 styles) they appear in the font lists of all your applications. The fonts are available as long as you maintain your Adobe subscription. Otherwise, if you don't maintain such a subscription, you can directly license any or all of the Adobe Jenson typefaces at https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/adobe-jenson .

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines