Font Folio OpenType Edition

Enthusiast ,
Aug 11, 2003 Aug 11, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press Release Source: Adobe Systems Incorporated

Adobe Announces OpenType Edition of Font Folio
Monday August 11, 8:12 am ET
New Version Offers the Adobe Type Library in Enhanced Cross-Platform Font Format

SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 11, 2003--Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE - News), the leader in network publishing, today introduced a new version of Adobe® Font Folio(TM) featuring the Adobe Type Library in OpenType® format on one CD-ROM. The Adobe Font Folio (OpenType Edition) product contains more than 2,000 fonts in OpenType format, which allows for richer linguistic support and more advanced typographic control in any print, Web or dynamic media project. Adobe also announced the availability of a new special version with a 10-computer license, making it more affordable for small design shops to access the entire Adobe Type Library.

Adobe and Microsoft Corporation created the OpenType font format to improve cross-platform document portability and simplify font management, by introducing one font file that works on both the Macintosh and Windows platforms. Creative professionals benefit from extended foreign language support and the inclusion of expert typographic glyphs, such as small caps, old style figures and swashes, in many OpenType fonts.

"The OpenType font format is much more convenient than the old Type 1 or TrueType fonts," said David Blatner, co-author of Real World InDesign, InDesign for QuarkXPress Users and Real World Photoshop. "With Adobe's new Font Folio in OpenType format, I love having large character sets in the same font instead of having to work with a whole array of related font files."

Pricing and Availability

The Adobe Font Folio [OpenType Edition] product is available immediately and will be sold primarily through the Adobe store at www.adobe.com, Adobe retail and licensing channels, and includes a standard 20-computer license for US$8,999. License extensions are also available and Font Folio is included in Adobe's transactional and contractual licensing programs. Upgrade pricing from Font Folio versions 8 or 9 to Font Folio OpenType Edition is US$2,499. Adobe is also releasing a special 10-computer license of Font Folio OpenType Edition for smaller design workplaces that is available for US$4,999. International English versions are available where localized versions are not sold.

Full Press Release:
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200308/081103FONTFOLIO.html

Product page:
http://www.adobe.com/products/fontfolio/main.html

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2006 Mar 08, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will Adobe release a new version of Opentype Font Folio?
Susan Taylor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 08, 2006 Mar 08, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any information to share at this time. Certainly there will be a new version at some point, as there have been various new releases over the last two and a half years.

Regards,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2006 Oct 24, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We bought the opentype whole collection font folio and it doesn't work on the pc! at least not the helv. bold and italic and times bold and italic and probably many others that I don't have time to test!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you can provide some more information about (1) your computer's configuration (what version of Windows, any type managers, etc.) and (2) the applications that you are having problems using with the typefaces you mention.

We know of no problems using the OpenType versions of any of the Helvetica or Times fonts that are part of the Adobe Font Folio with either Adobe applications or typical Windows applications (such as Microsoft Office applications). I personally use these typefaces on my system with such applications on a regular basis without any problems.

More information please ...

- Dov
- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do realise that bold, italic, and bold italic variations don't show up as separate fonts in menus in Windows apps, don't you? You have to choose the base font, then apply a bold/itals/bold itals style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2006 Oct 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov -

A small amendment to your statement. Instead of saying that they don't
show up separately in "Windows applications", that should read "in
Microsoft's and many other Windows products. Adobe's applications DO
allow selection of the individually styled fonts." Or something like that.

By the way - I don't know - how do Microsoft's MAC applications (like
Office/Word) handle it?

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't say or even imply that styles show up separately. The poster claimed that the fonts "didn't work" whatever that meant. I did not assume that the poster meant that the styles didn't show up as separate fonts. I would rather the poster clarify the complaint before making any assumptions.

- Dov
- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it was Dominic's reply that I was amending, not yours. Sorry
about that..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - that's the way fonts work on Windows.

http://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/2006/05/font_myths_ital.html

Cheers,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> "Adobe's applications DO allow selection of the individually styled fonts." Or something like that.

No, they don't. At least not as I understand the term. When Mac users talk about not being able to see fonts in Windows, they mean they can't see each and every variant in the font menu as a separate entry. So, Times Bold sits alongside Times Itals and Times Bold Itals in the font menu, and you can get from TNR Bold to Minion Pro Itals with one mouse click. In Adobe apps, you can't do this and you don't see all the variants in the one menu - you have a font family menu and a variant (or style) menu. You have to choose the font family first, then the variant, and you can't get from TNR Bold to Minion Pro Itals with one mouse click.

Although Adobe apps do style-link all font variants (a great advantage over Windows default limit of four family members), you are still choosing the family, then the style. In this, it's no different from choosing bold, itals, and bold itals in other Windows apps like Word, Ventura, FrameMaker, etc (and my post was referring only to these three variants, not to styles like black, condensed, etc, which may show up as separate entries). So, I stick by my statement that "bold, italic, and bold italic variations don't show up as separate fonts in menus in Windows apps".

(And Dov's right, we don't know this is the user's problem, but I was just raising a common issue, based on the limited info we had at hand.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator CS2, I see a list of the fonts, without variations, and
with each font displayed in the font itself.

But when I pass the cursor over one of the fonts, I see an additional
pop-up list containing all of the installed variants. They include not
only installed bold, italic, and bolditalic, but any other styles,
including such as "outline", "demi", etc.

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I wrote too soon and hit the send button too quickly. Yes, even
Adobe's far superior implementation displays just the font family name
in the basic list - but at least it handles font families and styles
as they were intended.

And yes, none of this may address the OP's problem - whatever it is!

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2008 Feb 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alguien que hable castellano?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2008 Jul 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP. I have spent over 4 hours trying to find and buy the Hypatia font family. How frustrating I cant find it any where and even Adobe direct cant help me.

Can anyone advise me.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's available as a (free) registration incentive when you register
CS3 (Adobe Creative Suite 3).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not yet available separately, because we were holding off until the italics were done. The type designer (namely me) has been astoundingly slow at completing the italics, pleading "other priorities." However, we recognize that it would be a Very Good Thing to get the typeface out there at retail.

Regards,

T

Thomas Phinney
Product Manager
Fonts & Global Typography
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thomas

I am honoured sir (I am not worthy)....

When I bought CS3 I used my freeby to get the Lynda education thing, because I am a complete novice. But I love the Hypatia type font and decided that I could easily buy it and download it!

I just have to have it, if I dont get it fast, my dog will bite me, my wife has thretened to divorce me, my kids will no longer respect me and i will not be able to write another page or article.

Can you live with this Tom? HuH? Oh no, my dog is looking at me and growling aagghhh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 29, 2008 Jul 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Injuries, disrespect and family dissolution? Your suffering means nothing to Adobe, the heartless mega-corp! Mwahahaha!

Just kidding. I really do want to help you on this. It pains me every time I see a request for the italics, and they have been coming much more frequently just in the past month or so. The truth is, few things on my plate would be more fun and rewarding than working on Hypatia Sans italics, but I keep on running into little things like formulating the type department strategy for 2009 (yes, now).

Regards,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2008 Jul 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Tom

I forgive you on this occasion, but I am disappointed that my letter to my poor old mother is less important than your little admin task. Suppose I will have to wait.

On a serious note, keep up the good work and let the world have it soon..

Case closed....

Mick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2008 Aug 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am seeing a problem with various font families from Font Folio 11: some members of these problem families fail to appear in WordPad on Windows (and all Microsoft Office applications, which is really where I want to use these fonts). Example: install BellGothicStd-Light.otf and BellGothicStd-Bold.otf in Windows/Fonts, but in WordPad only the Bell Gothic Light is available. The bold is not recognized. Uninstall the light, and *then* the bold becomes available. Same problem exists with Avenir and Frutiger 55. Probably others as well, I haven't tried more than these.

Is there some secret voodoo that has to be performed to get these OpenType Folio fonts to work in WordPad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 08, 2008 Aug 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you familiar with style linking?

This is discussed in both the Adobe OpenType readme and the OpenType User Guide for Adobe Fonts. It's not even an OpenType issue, but a how-Windows-handles-fonts issue.

http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/OTReadMe.html
http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/pdfs/OTGuide.pdf

Regards,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2008 Aug 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thomas,

My apologies, I should have included in my original post a mention of the fact that I am familiar with style linking and effects it can have on font display menus in Windows apps. But I am quite certain thats not the issue Ive encountered. Take the example of the BellGothicStd-Light: when both it and BellGothicStd-Bold are installed, only the Light shows up in WordPad, but what actually gets displayed to the screen or output is the Bold weight, regardless of whether the bold style button has been used or not. Uninstall BellGothicStd-Bold, and now the Light appears correctly. It seems that theres something about this pair of Font Folio OTF files that result in a conflict of some sort within the OS.

Since Adobe recently identified problems with similar symptomsIm thinking of the technote about Arial Narrow, http://www.adobe.com/go/kb402845, which happens to be something colleagues of mine have encounteredI thought maybe this behavior Im seeing with these Font Folio 11 files might have a similar cause?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 12, 2008 Aug 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, wait, Bell Gothic. Ack.

Yes, actually, we just recently found an issue that was inadvertently created during their revisions for Font Folio 11. I'll be posting more on this Real Soon Now. There are several other families that were affected, actually.

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2008 Nov 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this thread while browsing to try and solve a problem I'm having with the Hypatia font. It basically crashes Quark (v7) whenever I try to apply any style/size/colour to it. All of my other fonts are OK, but there appears to be a conflict between Hypatia and Quark.

I've tried turning every type-related option on and off to no avail.

Just wondered if this has been reported elsewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines