• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

fonts varying from PC to Mac

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2019 Feb 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do design work and share my Adobe CC suite between my work and home computers. My work is a PC. I recently had to get a new iMac for home. I suddenly began noticing the TT fonts I have been using on my work computer don't exist on my iMac, not even in TypeKit. I thought they should be the same. How do I rectify this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

All Adobe Fonts (previously named Typekit) are fully cross-platform compatible and the vast majority of such fonts are not TrueType format, but rather, OpenType CFF format (with a few families in OpenType TrueType format). If you activate on Windows, they will also be activated on your Mac system and available to your applications there. But other fonts that may be on your Windows system, especially TrueType bundled with Windows, Microsoft Office, or other applications may very well not exist on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All Adobe Fonts (previously named Typekit) are fully cross-platform compatible and the vast majority of such fonts are not TrueType format, but rather, OpenType CFF format (with a few families in OpenType TrueType format). If you activate on Windows, they will also be activated on your Mac system and available to your applications there. But other fonts that may be on your Windows system, especially TrueType bundled with Windows, Microsoft Office, or other applications may very well not exist on your Mac or in fact be very different fonts (such as Arial and Times New Roman). If your work requires fonts on a different platform from which you were working and your license for the font doesn't include the rights for use on other systems (such as those bundled system or application fonts), you may need to separately pay to license those fonts from the source font foundry!

- Dov

PS:     If in fact the “missing” fonts on your Mac are from Adobe Fonts and you have synchronized your Mac to the Creative Cloud, you might want to post in the Adobe Fonts forum with specific information about the names of the missing fonts.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid this inst entirely true for all fonts. Having an issue with Ubuntu where The leading and kerning is totally different. So much so that my layouts are changing between my colleague(mac) and myself(pc). Seems the mac is downloading the opentype ver. of the font while my pc is downloading a TrueType ver. of the font. Default type setting on both computers are the same. Any Suggestions??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are referring to fonts served by Adobe Fonts (formerly Typekit), then my response remains. Adobe Fonts doesn't offer both OpenType TrueType and OpenType CFF fonts for each font available. The vast majority of the fonts provided by Adobe Fonts are in OpenType CFF format and the others, many of which are some of the original Typekit fonts and/or were sourced from Google Fonts are in OpenType TrueType format.

In terms of differences you are seeing, you don't indicate what program or programs you are referring to on MacOS and Windows, but for Adobe applications using the exact same font file, assuming that you are using the same version of the same application, font metrics including leading and kerning are treated exactly the same. Adobe applications do not use the operating system font services, but rather their own font services (a module called CoolType).

In the specific case of Ubuntu, I can confirm that Adobe Fonts serves an OpenType TrueType font file for both Windows and MacOS. I've just tested them. There is not one iota of difference between the font files based on platform. That being the case, perhaps you can advise as to what application(s) you are seeing a difference in?!? I cannot see a difference between how Ubuntu is being handled on MacOS versus Windows in InDesign, for example. Microsoft Office applications are a totally separate matter; the layout cross platform using the same font can be quite wonky, regrettably.

If you can provide more specifics, we might be able to better assist you.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines