• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Helvetica Neue monotype, linotype or adobe?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2012 Feb 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone

I'm doing a job using Helvetica Neue for a client who has specified that it should be from the Monotype foundry. On checking mine (in Quark's utilities) it says what I'm using is a Adobe Systems Type 1 Postscript font. When I looked online to research about purchasing the Monotype version I keep finding it mostly available as either as Linotype or Adobe but Monotype is really rare, other than from 1 US font site. Certain sites imply that Linotype and Monotype is the same !!! Are they so different from the different foundries that text will reflow quite a bit? It's an expense that I can quite do without if I can help it.

In addition I find it very confusing that there is a Helvetica Neue Roman AND a Helvetica Neue 55 (or light and 45 etc) in my drop down font menu. Is this because they are from 2 different foundries that has mixed up in my system? Sometimes when I get work back having used the '55', I find that it's been changed to the 'roman' version and I need to change it back again. I am concerned that if I use the Monotype version it'll add another layer of problem to this existing one.

Another thing is, sometimes you see the font listed as Neue Helvetica, and Helvetica Neue (reversed order). Other times it's spelt as HelveticaNeue with no space between the 2 words and other times there's a space. It's all very confusing. Again is this because thaey are from different foundries?

Lastly, is there a place in InDesign v5 that gives this info in a similar way to Quark's Utilities eg Path, Folder and Foundry etc for easy reference?

Thanking in advance for your help.

Jadey

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem in illustrator,but I don't konw how can fix that font display error,as we can see a lot of file format from different company and they were not compatible well,if one day we use only a kind of software or font they were working good,certainly it was difficult to realization.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 24, 2012 Mar 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a client is going to be that specific about a font—down to the exact foundry, I mean—I'd ask them if they can supply it along with the job. If not, and it's crucial, I think you could include the purchase of the font in your billing to them. In that case, it would be appropriate to include the font with the job, for them to keep, if they requested it; otherwise, you could keep it for your own use. (You shouldn't both keep a copy if you've only purchased a single license.)

It sounds like you're concerned about reflowing text, which is an understandable concern. You should be able to test this simply by making a copy of the document and seeing how the text flows with your version of the font.

It also sounds like it's time for you to consider installing some font management software, which will allow you to view font information, activate and deactivate fonts, etc. Personally, I think Linotype FontExplorer Pro is easy to work with, flexible, and has a lot of nice features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

groove25 wrote:

If a client is going to be that specific about a font—down to the exact foundry, I mean—I'd ask them if they can supply it along with the job…

That's usually not allowed by the EULA.

groove25 wrote:

…If not, and it's crucial, I think you could include the purchase of the font in your billing to them…

Yes.  That would absolutely be appropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines