Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Install Adobe Type Manager On 32 bit system

Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing Adobe Type Manager on 32 bit system gives error message saying need 16 bit system.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Neither Ashley Script nor Palace Script are Multiple Master fonts. You may install your existing Type 1 versions of these fonts directly with the versions of Windows I described previously without any special font manager. You will need the .pfm and the .pfb files associated with each of the typefaces you need to install.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Type Manager was discontinued a number of years ago and is not supported at all on either 32-bit or 64-bit versions of either Windows Vista or Windows 7 or on 64-bit Windows XP. In fact, if you are not careful, an unsuccessful attempt to install ATM on such platforms can result in a corrupted Windows installation that may require complete reinstallation of Windows.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any other way to make Adobe Fonts available on 32 bit systems???  It would certainly be a shame to lose them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Windows 7, both 32-bit and 64-bit natively support both Type 1 fonts and OpenType without any need whatsoever for Adobe Type Manager or any other third party font manager.

The only exception is for Multiple Master Type 1 fonts which are effectively no longer supported other than directly by Adobe applications such as Acrobat, InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop although their continued use is discouraged. Use the OpenType versions of these fonts in their place.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't precisely understand the term "OpenType version of these fonts".  For example, is there an "OpenType version" of the Adobe "Ashley Script" and the Adobe "Palace Script" fonts, or are these in the category of "Multiple Master Type 1" and gone forever from most of us?  If there are "OpenType versions" of these particular scripts, where do I get them?  Maybe you mean find one that looks somewhat similar and live with it because there is no other answer?  Thank you for helping me understand. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither Ashley Script nor Palace Script are Multiple Master fonts. You may install your existing Type 1 versions of these fonts directly with the versions of Windows I described previously without any special font manager. You will need the .pfm and the .pfb files associated with each of the typefaces you need to install.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 09, 2012 Feb 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very very much.  I bought these fonts from Adobe many years ago on a 3.5 inch disk which I still have.  I assumed they were Adobe fonts.  I have saved the disk contents on my network drive.  I could use the Control Panel install from my network drive using my 6 year old desk top computer running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3.

The Add Fonts from the control panel on my Lenovo SL510 running the same level Windows would allow me to point to the Font directory on the network drive but would not list the fonts.  I had to move the the fonts into a newfont directory under C:\Windows.  Then the Add Fonts would list the fonts and install them.  I add all this because there have been over 130 views of this subject.

The question is Answered.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines