• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Myriad Roman/Italic - font licensing issue?

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I'm asking your help regarding a small issue with the Myriad Roman and Myriad Italic font.

Today I opened an "old" document I created in a previous Illustrator version (CS 6). But when I wanted to save it into a pdf file, a bad message told me some parts of the file can't be saved due to font restriction: The font Myriad-Roman could not be embedded in the PDF document because of licensing restrictions. Stroke text will not be visible.

How can I manage this? I have a lot of documents with Myriad Roman or Italic in it, so this is very disturbing for me right now... 😕

Thanks in advance fo your help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jan 30, 2015 Jan 30, 2015

Myriad Pro Regular and Myriad Pro Italic are the OpenType CFF font equivalents to the old Myriad and Myriad Italic Type 1 fonts. That is what is now available. Yes, I mean license the fonts.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jan 27, 2015 Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the Myriad typefaces licensed by Adobe have ever restricted embedding. That includes the older Type 1 versions of the font as well as the current OpenType Myriad Pro typefaces.

Is it possible that you are using a copy of the font that was edited and not properly tagged to allow embedding?

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

Thanks a lot for your reply. That might be the case, as I had to download this font after a new computer installation.

But what can I do know? Where can I find the original Myriad Roman and Italic fonts? I read somewhere that I can replace these fonts with Myriad Pro family, but that would cost me a lot of time 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that you freely “downloaded” these fonts makes this all very suspicious.

Yes, you can replace these Myriad typefaces with the equivalent Myriad Pro OpenType typefaces, some of which were bundled with CS6 and earlier software. The investment in terms of modifying your content is relatively low if you have used styles appropriately and even if not, Illustrator will prompt you if a font is missing and let you globally replace (you would of course, remove those crufty, possibly hacked old Myriad typefaces first). If you don't have access to those previously bundled, the cost of getting a license for them in both $ and time is quite low compared to other alternatives.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to install a brand new computer, and when I was trying to open these old documents, I saw that some fonts where no available. This is why I search for Myriad Roman and Myriad Italic.

By licence, do you mean licence for the fonts? Because I'm not able to find Myriad Roman / Italic fonts on Adobe Store?! Does this font even still exist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 30, 2015 Jan 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Myriad Pro Regular and Myriad Pro Italic are the OpenType CFF font equivalents to the old Myriad and Myriad Italic Type 1 fonts. That is what is now available. Yes, I mean license the fonts.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines