• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

need font with extended Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, IPA, etc.

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2010 Sep 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a journal that I lay-out that regularly features articles on linguistics and related subjects, I'm looking for new fonts both for main text and for headlines. The problem is that I need fonts that include complete sets of IPA phonetic symbols, Cyrillic with extensions (including obscure Abkhaz letters etc.), Greek with extensions, Latin extended additionals, etcetera. Of course, Times New Roman has all of this, but I prefer to use something slightly more 'elegant'. For headlines, I do not need IPA, Greek, and Cyrillic, by the way, but I do need the Latin extended additionals (including for example the letter m with a dot above or below for Sanskrit transcription).

Currently I use Palatino for the main text, which necessitates me to switch to Times New Roman wherever necessary letters or symbols are missing (which happens rather frequently). For headlines I use a sans serif font that looks a it like Optima. I'd prefer to find somewhat similar fonts (and, of course, two fonts that go well together). However, thus far I have been unable to find anything.

Does anyone have suggestions for fonts that would satisfy my needs?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2010 Sep 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For serif, you may use Arno Pro/Garamond Premier Pro/Minion Pro/Warnock Pro. For sans-serif, you may try Myriad Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. These are all nice fonts.

However, none of them seems to include IPA symbols, Latin Extended Additionals, or extensions for Cyrillic. For the sans serif font I wouldn't need all of those, but for the serif font I do.

Myriad Pro might be useful to me, because I need less odd characters in headings, although that one too may be too limited. (Lack of Latin Extended Additionals precludes Sanskrit transliterations, for example, which would be a problem.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try ITC Stone then?

It has Phonetic and may meet your requirement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2010 Sep 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ITC Stone font family looks promising. I seem to be unable to find complete glyph overviews, however. Do you have a suggestion where I could find those?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

If I understand what I read and saw (at the font pages and in the files I found) correctly, then it seems to be the case that the IPA symbols are in a separate font, and that the base fonts for ITC stone have only minimal sets of diacritics. Is that indeed the case? If it is, than the latter would make the sans serif version useless for headings; and both would make the serif version useless for body text.

I may have found a font for body text elsewhere, but I'm still searching for a (somewhat stylish / elgenant) sans serif font (with different variants) for headings. That does not need to have IPA, Greek, or Cyrillic, but it must have all Latin extensions plus Latin extended additionals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're correct. The non-Phonetic ITC Stone fonts do not have the character coverage you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines