• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proper Names - Definition

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2008 Jun 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to mention something about this fashion of giving proper names and titles small initial letters. It looks absolutely awfull through my designers eyes. Is it not true that in the written word a proper name is defined by a capital letter? Otherwise, how would you know if it was a proper name or not? Therefore, does it not follow that if a written word does not have a capital letter it cannot by definition be a proper name?

Therefore, in such cases as that rubbish and ludicrously expensive 2012 London Olympics logo the word 'london' on the logo is actually just gobbledygook because without a capital letter it cannot be a proper name and as far as I know there is no such word as 'london'. The only way it could be a proper name is if the first letter was a capital 'i', but is there such a place as Iondon (pronounced 'Eye-ondon')? And if there is, what Olympics are being held there in 2012?

You have to have some way of defining a proper name otherwise confusion can be the result. Example:-

1. We came across a Ford in the road.
2. We came across a ford in the road.

I consider the ignoring of grammer to such an extent as this to be not justified by 'artistic liscense'. It is a poor design that does so in my opinion.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 130 Replies 130
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2008 Jun 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heather,

The "i" in iMac originally stood for "Internet", as that model was an early computer model tweaked for ease of Internet connectivity. Not so sure about "iPod" or "iPhone"...it may just be a carryover from "iMac" due to its popularity and easy identity.

Lower case "i" instead of "I" when referring to one's self is generally just laziness.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to chime in here with a comment about the cost of the Olympic logo.

Logotypes, particularly for ventures that are national or international in nature, are not generally priced according to how much they cost to create but rather on how much they are worth. A logo that will be seen by millions, if not billions, has an immense goodwill value, and the creator deserves a commensurate reward.

As for the other issues brought up by the OP, I think his lifejacket is getting a bit waterlogged now. Perhaps it is time to swim to the boat.

Yours
Vern

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Not so sure about "iPod" or "iPhone"...it may just be a carryover from "iMac" due to its popularity and easy identity.

That's what I've always thought. And hasn't Apple trademarked umpteen million combinations of "i" + word for future product development or just to stop others getting in on the act? (Well, maybe not millions, but a couple of dozen anyway.)

>As for the other issues brought up by the OP, I think his lifejacket is getting a bit waterlogged now. Perhaps it is time to swim to the boat.

Richard is obviously entitled to his views and he doesn't need to justify them to anyone unless he's seeking to persuade them to his way of seeing things, but I think it's pretty clear that, at least among this group, the majority don't have any problem with lowercase being used in place of capitals in logos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2008 Jun 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP? Who's the OP? Is that me? What does that stand for then? Old Plodder? Odd Pod? (oPod)

Dominic, #22, quote:-

>In which case, the first clause is incorrect - they don't hate jazz, they just hate some jazz.

No, they hate *most* jazz.

You seem to have forgotten that I stated those cases were rare, and would most probably have still looked better with capitals anyway.

>I think people are amused by your strong desire to uphold one convention (the use of capitals) while at the same time happily ignoring another (correct spelling)

Happily ignoring! Oh I think that's unfair. Where have I stated or implied that I happily ignore spelling? I try my best. I'll have you know I'm using the spell checker now, so there! (Well, I forgot last time). But at least I do try to get it right whereas this decapitalization involves deliberately getting it wrong.

>*Near* the beginning, not *at* the beginning

You seem to be referring to 'iPod' here. Anyway, see below for that. In 'InDesign' there is a capital *at* the beginning of 'In' and *at* the beginning of 'Design'. The two words are then joined. There is then a capital *at* the beginning and *near* the beginning .... wow eh? Now there's no doubt you're dealing with a proper name :)

>As for iPod being two words joined together, if the "i" were a word, then surely it should have been "I"?

The fact that there is a capital 'P' shows that we have a proper name here, so although the 'i' represents a word and should therefore be a capital, there is no desperate need to have another capital so I reckon we can allow some artistic liscence now and do what we like with the 'i'. In fact I actually think it looks better lower case because of the contrast with the capital. A capital 'I' would be lost against the capital 'P'. But if it was written as 'ipod' then that's completely different. There is no indication at all that this is a proper name. In fact, without a capital, it actually *isn't* one.

>Hang on. Your earlier arguments were all about meaning (ie, needing capitals because they denote proper nouns), not aesthetics.

Well, it's all linked isn't it? The whole essence of the written word is denoting meaning visually, aesthetically. And my point is that capitals are part of that aesthetics. If they are not there they obviously cannot convey any meaning, which is exactly my point. No capitals, no proper name, meaning lost.

Interesting to hear the views on the meaning of Apple's 'i'. Right, if I am the OP I'd best check my life jacket.

Nope, it's not water logged yet, but this water's freezing. Brrrrrrrr :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah Richard, you are the OP. (Original Poster).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>You seem to have forgotten that I stated those cases were rare, and would most probably have still looked better with capitals anyway.

I haven't forgotten, but I don't see the relevance. No matter that the cases were rare or that you think they might have looked better with caps, you still said they looked good.

>Where have I stated or implied that I happily ignore spelling?

Well, even after Herb pointed out the misspelling of "carefull" and "awfull" you went on to repeat those errors, as well as finding a new way to misspell licence. your posts continued to have more than the average number of errors we see in this forum, so to me you don't seem overly concerned about your spelling.

>You seem to be referring to 'iPod' here.

No, you were. Reread your post 21 again, especially the sentence "Not quite sure what the 'i' stands for (is it Internet?) but at least there is a capital there and also in an acceptable place i.e. at the begining of a word."

>The fact that there is a capital 'P' shows that we have a proper name here, so although the 'i' represents a word and should therefore be a capital, there is no desperate need to have another capital so I reckon we can allow some artistic liscence now and do what we like with the 'i'.

I see you're now claiming that the "i" merely represents a word, whereas before you called it a word. No mind, your attempted justification is just as ridiculous as it was the first time around. Maintaining the presence of a capital anywhere in a word is sufficient to satisfy your desire for correct capitalisation shows just how weak your argument is. I say again, according to this viewpoint, you should have no problem with "lOndon" or even "londoN".

>If they are not there they obviously cannot convey any meaning

But their absence can add another level to the design, as well as being purely a visual effect.

So, to sum up, you hate the use of lowercase for proper nouns because it "looks absolutely awfull", except that sometimes it "looks good", and though "the lack of proper capitalization looks aesthetically poor", it's okay to use lowercase for a proper noun as long as there's a capital somewhere else in the word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, just out of curiosity, where did you find the definitive answer for the meaning of "i" in "iMac"? I couldn't find any sites that had a single answer for it.

:)
Maybe we should all just agree to disagree about the proper name thing.
I agree with both sides of the spelling debate. Misspellings are just as confusing, if not more so, than improper capitalization. However, especially in online posts, (which are often written off-the-cuff), they are certain to happen some of the time.
For the final record, it's "license" unless you're French, "licence" or speak Latin, "licentia".
Although the whole "misspelling" thing does kind of lend itself to Richard's point:
Miss Spelling, an actress, is said to miss spelling in her grammar classes, where misspelling was common.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, no, no.

It is license only if you are American, the rest of the world uses licence, which I might point out is the original form of the word.

Some sources suggest that license be used for the verb and licence for the noun, much like practice and practise, and that may well be where the variant arose.

Both are acceptable spellings now though (except in the US, of course)

Yours
Vern

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'colour' me American 😉 Who knew?

I must say this thread couldn't have come at a better time, we are unfortunately slow (business wise, leaving my mental acuity out of it) and this discourse has been one of my few sources of amusement. Thanks to everyone. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Some sources suggest that license be used for the verb and licence for the noun.

More than suggest. Down here, "licence" is a noun, "license" is a verb. However, "liscense" and "liscence" are just wrong everywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heather,
>Neil, just out of curiosity, where did you find the definitive answer for the meaning of "i" in "iMac"? I couldn't find any sites that had a single answer for it.

It's my memory of the PR released when the (egg-shaped) iMac debuted. And checking now at wikipedia.org: Apple declared the 'i' in iMac to stand for "Internet".
>Although the whole "misspelling" thing does kind of lend itself to Richard's point:
Miss Spelling, an actress, is said to miss spelling in her grammar classes, where misspelling was common.

A number of years ago, a major department store had a customer information booth near the entrance, presided over by a pretty young thing. The banner over the booth read: "Miss Information".

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 27, 2008 Jun 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i "Miss Information".

Free Smiley Face Courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.org

I love it.

Thanks for the info Neil, I think my problem I was actually looking up "iPod" at wiki. Researching the egg instead of the chicken, so to speak. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2008 Jul 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello folks. You hoped .. I mean, thought I'd gone away didn't you? With my tail between my legs. But no, I'm back. (Don't get around to dealing with this message board much Friday - Monday).

Glad you're enjoying the discourse Heather. And I liked your, and others, 'Miss Spelling' play with words. Excellent.

Dominic, #29, quote:-

>I haven't forgotten, but I don't see the relevance. No matter that the cases were rare or that you think they might have looked better with caps, you still said they looked good.

Uuh? This is a mighty strange reply. How can the fact that such cases are rare and I still think they'd look better with capitals be anything other than highly relevant?

>Well, even after Herb pointed out the misspelling of "careful" and "awful" you went on to repeat those errors, as well as finding a new way to misspell liscence. your posts continued to have more than the average number of errors we see in this forum, so to me you don't seem overly concerned about your spelling.

OK OK, I give in! I'm a bad speller, I did state that I forgot to use the spell checker once! But heck, I still don't see that the accuracy of my spelling to that extent is really relevant? Is not the point that I agree I should correct my spelling and I am trying (yes I know, very), whereas you are deliberately using incorrect grammar and have no intention of trying to correct your ways.

>No, you were. Reread your post 21 again, especially the sentence "Not quite sure what the 'i' stands for (is it Internet?) but at least there is a capital there and also in an acceptable place i.e. at the beginning of a word."

Ah yes, that's referring to the capital at the beginning of the word 'Pod' (I think!)

>I see you're now claiming that the "i" merely represents a word, whereas before you called it a word.

Oh dear oh dear, now that's getting very picky. Don't forget, at the time I didn't even know what the 'i' stood for. It could have meant 'I' as in 'me'.

>No mind, your attempted justification is just as ridiculous as it was the first time around. Maintaining the presence of a capital anywhere in a word is sufficient to satisfy your desire for correct capitalization shows just how weak your argument is. I say again, according to this viewpoint, you should have no problem with "lOndon" or even "londoN".

I haven't mentioned anything about capitals being allowed *anywhere* within a word. In fact I have been many times quite specific in stating quite the opposite (first stated in second to last paragraph of message #8 ). The 'O' in your 'lOndon' example does not start a word, whereas the 'D' in 'InDesign' does. And so does the 'P' in 'iPod'.

I cannot see how the absence of capitals "can add another level to the design, as well as being purely a visual effect." The only 'other level' and visual effect it conveys to me is the absence of a proper noun.

>So, to sum up, you hate the use of lowercase for proper nouns because it "looks absolutely awfull", except that sometimes it "looks good", and though "the lack of proper capitalization looks aesthetically poor", it's okay to use lowercase for a proper noun as long as there's a capital somewhere else in the word.

No, to sum up I hate the use of lowercase for proper nouns because it "looks absolutely awfull", only *rarely* does it look good, and even then would probably look better with capitals, and though "the lack of proper capitalization looks aesthetically poor", it's okay to use lowercase for a proper noun as long as there is a capital somewhere else in the word that *makes sense* (as in 'iPod').

I will add to that another summing up. If a word does not have a capital, how can it be considered a proper name? You cannot have one without the other, even in art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>How can the fact that such cases are rare and I still think they'd look better with capitals be anything other than highly relevant?

Because, regardless of your qualifications, you said they looked good with lowercase.

>whereas you are deliberately using incorrect grammar and have no intention of trying to correct your ways.

Where have I deliberately used incorrect grammar?

>I haven't mentioned anything about capitals being allowed *anywhere* within a word.

In post 21, you said that the capital "P" in "iPod" was "in an acceptable place" and in post 27 you stated that the fact that there was a capital 'P' shows that it was a proper name here. If you're satisfied by the second letter of "iPod" being a capital and the third letter in "InDesign" being a capital (as you have indicated you are), then you don't seem to care too much about where the capital appears.

>the 'D' in 'InDesign' [starts a word]. And so does the 'P' in 'iPod'.

You like to discard the rules of grammar when they don't suit, don't you? How can a word be started partway through a word?

>Don't forget, at the time I didn't even know what the 'i' stood for. It could have meant 'I' as in 'me'.

But that's exactly what you've been railing against. You don't mind the lowercase "i" in "iPod" even though you say it could have stood for "I". So, it's okay to use "i" for "I" but not "l" for "London"? That's inconsistent.

>If a word does not have a capital, how can it be considered a proper name?

Nobody in this thread, including you, had any trouble understanding "london" to be a reference to the city. The meaning was clear, no matter the capitalisation.

>and though "the lack of proper capitalization looks aesthetically poor", it's okay to use lowercase for a proper noun as long as there is a capital somewhere else in the word that *makes sense* (as in 'iPod').

That's not what you said in post 27. There you said the lowercase "i" was anything but "aesthetically poor" - "In fact I actually think it looks better lower case because of the contrast with the capital."

You're not really a designer, are you, Richard? You just got upset about the cost of the Olympic logo and so you tried to generate some criticism of it by picking on the capitalisation issue, didn't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks,

I think we're just going around in circles. At this point, I'm tempted to say that you each agree to disagree. And let's move on.

Thanks!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why? Richard and I are enjoying ourselves and nobody else is forced to read this thread. You can move on and Richard and I will continue to spar for as long as he wants to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dominic,

Just want to be sure that it's "friendly" sparring. Then, no problem.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dominic,

Just wanted to be sure that it's "friendly" sparring. Then, no problem.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2008 Jul 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's certainly friendly on my part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, glad to read you're enjoying our word sparring Dominic. And how are you doing Heather? You're not nodding off are you? Are we still a source of amusement? Don't worry folks, I think we should wind down now, but I just couldn't help this long one. I wanted to answer every point. You must know how it is. I will resist temptation next time and make them short .... promise!

Right Dominic, where have I put my boxing gloves? :)

In answer to my statement "How can the fact that such cases are rare and I still think they'd look better with capitals be anything other than highly relevant?" you typed:-

>Because, regardless of your qualifications, you said they looked good with lowercase.

I'm lost with this answer. There are differing degrees of 'good' are there not? If it would still look better with a capital why not go for a higher degree of 'good'? I think my jazz analogy in message #21 still holds.

>Where have I deliberately used incorrect grammar?

Are you not comparing bad spelling with the incorrect use of lower case letters? The latter is deliberate is it not?

>If you're satisfied by the second letter of "iPod" being a capital and the third letter in "InDesign" being a capital (as you have indicated you are), then you don't seem to care too much about where the capital appears.

But they are not just anywhere though are they? They are at the beginning of words that are within a word. Many words are composed of more than one word i.e. bicycle, automobile.

>You like to discard the rules of grammar when they don't suit, don't you? How can a word be started partway through a word?

When that word is the product of two words, see above.

You seem to be trying to counteract my argument that there are boundaries to bending the rules for artistic liscence by stating that if there *are* boundaries then you should not bend or break any grammatical rules whatsoever. Surely you must have boundaries yourself? Does anything go in the name of art? I just don't see how the joining of two words, as in 'In' and 'Design' and leaving the 'D' capital is anywhere near as bad as changing a word from a proper name to an ordinary word. The former may not be grammatically correct but at least it still indicates a proper name. Giving a proper name no capitals at all completely changes the word, and in some cases, as in 'ford' and 'Ford' completely changes the meaning. I think that is too significant a change for artistic liscence to be used as an excuse.

>So, it's okay to use "i" for "I" but not "l" for "London"? That's inconsistent.

Naa it's not. It's okay to use 'i' in 'iPod' because the 'P' is there to indicate a proper name. 'London' is not the product of two words, or representations of a word, so there's only one place for a capital and that is the first letter. If that letter is not a capital then the word is changed from a proper name to an ordinary word.

>Nobody in this thread, including you, had any trouble understanding "london" to be a reference to the city. The meaning was clear, no matter the capitalisation.

I can't see what you mean by that. Do you mean it's alright to use lower case if the public you are designing for already knows the word? Presumably that means you would not use lower case if the public were not familiar with the word. Well, if that is the case then good luck, but I don't see it proves anything about the quality of the design. If the public have to have prior knowledge before understanding the design, is that good?

In answer to my statement "... and though "the lack of proper capitalization looks aesthetically poor", it's okay to use lowercase for a proper noun as long as there is a capital somewhere else in the word that *makes sense* (as in 'iPod')." you answer:-

>That's not what you said in post 27. There you said the lowercase "i" was anything but "aesthetically poor" - "In fact I actually think it looks better lower case because of the contrast with the capital."

Goodness, my brain's hurting now. Have I dissagreed with myself here? I can't see it. The word 'iPod' has a sensibly placed capital, therefore it can be taken as a proper name. How have I dissagreed with myself by stating that I think that in this case the lower case letter looks even better than having two capitals right next to each other? Are you suggesting that the 'i' in 'iPod' makes the word an ordinary word i.e. makes it loose its proper name status? Despite the capital 'P'.

I repeat, my main point here is that a proper name has a capital. If it does not, then I don't see anyway it can be considered a proper name.

>You're not really a designer, are you, Richard? You just got upset about the cost of the Olympic logo and so you tried to generate some criticism of it by picking on the capitalization issue, didn't you?

Well, my job title is Graphic Designer. Perhaps the Olympic logo was the last straw, although it's been some months since that came out so it's taken a long time for me to 'blow', but I had to pick an example, and that one I thought most people would know. As for the cost well, gee whizzo ..... if that's the kind of money you lot are getting I'm working for the wrong company 🙂 But no, this decapitalization has bothered me for years, long before the Olympic logo.

Wheew, that was a long one wasn't it? I'll make 'em shorter from now on. Right, now I've got a good half hours worth sorting out my spelling :)

PS. I can't get the spell checker to carry on down the text. If the words it's chosen are not spelt wrongly, therefore I don't alter them, it won't go any further, so you'll have to forgive any spelling mistakes in the lower half.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I repeat, my main point here is that a proper name has a capital. If
it does not, then I don't see anyway it can be considered a proper name."

The vans of the world might not agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Herb, quote:-

>The vans of the world might not agree.

Ah, but that's not a proper name is it? I presume you mean the German word 'van'. It's like 'ap' in welsh, which I think stands for 'son of'. Can't remember what 'van' means.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'van' is most definitely a proper name. The term can mean of, from,
by, or for, but is no less proper than Mac or Mc or O' or de or der or
many others. Some names have a capital V and some use a small v.

United States phone books vary in their treatment. AT&T arbitrarily
capitalizes the v even when the name is not capitalized. Some others
correctly leave the v small and alphabetize vans with Vans.

In the Netherlands, because there are so many, all sorting ignores
vans and Vans and list van Buren, Van der Buren, and Vander Buren with
the B's.

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Dutch, van = of. Not to be confused with von, and signifier of nobility. So, fake name example, Richard van Buren, Richard of Buren. Or if not a proper place, Richard van der Water, Richard of the Water.

Yep, I'm still floating around out here, nodding off every now and again. :)

-Heather

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Herb - Ah well .... if they want to change 'of' and 'from' to proper names well, so be it. It would look rather peculiar in english though don't you think? As in Heather's example, Richard Of Buren ..... yucky!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines