Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Highlighter

Jul 11, 2011 Jul 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, can nobody figure out how to make IND highlight text ie word-style? I have 700 different body text figure references, 70 different authors with varying ages and eyesight and bold/italic just doesn't cut it. How hard can this be?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 16, 2011 Jul 16, 2011

Hi,

The easy down and dirty is here: http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/create_a_yellow_highlighter_style_in_indesign.html.

Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gofigyyer,

Do you mean InDesign when typing »IND«? If yes, why did you post here and not in the InDesign forums ? If you do this, don’t forget to tell the readers which version of InDesign you are talking about?

If »IND« is something else, please explain it, at least I don’t get it.

- Michael

PS: I don’t think it is hard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CS5:

No I mean when I'm typing plain old body text in a text frame, I want to Highlight several words of text the same as if you had used a highlight pen on a hardcopy. I understand I can use a style and turn the text bold, italic, red, etc. - I want the background behind the text colored (without creating a text box, cell or some other "object". And I responded here because when I did a search on the forum for "text highlighting" it told me I should use this forum. My apologies if this is the wrong place.

Pariah Burke, in his book, "Mastering InDesign CS5," says that to make figure references stand out - you can apply a highlight effect behind the reference (ie, Figure 8-213, to aid you in finding the right locations to place figures in lengthly text documents. I can't figure out how to do that. As much as I hate Word, it has a one-click text highlight button that makes text look as though it were marked with a highlighter.

thanks, gofigyer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gofigyer,

As InDesign is a software for high-end desktop publishing and not a reviewing tool, the solutions is not apparent. But you can do this:

1) For each background color you create a new Character Style; you can define a keyboard shortcut for your styles and thus apply them with ease.

2) In the Character Style Options window define a solid underline of width = font size + 4pt (try yourself), select the desired color, and adjust the baseline if needed.

Go ahead, and please visit the InDesign forums for all questions regarding InDesign.

- Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't mean to be pissy, since you are now officially my hero for the day, but this question actually applies to a high-end proposal with a value of over $40B, that will eventually have 2,600 printed pages with over 1,000 place .ai assets. So this is not for review, but for ease in my production crew in quickly finding where each asset will need to be placed and later re-numbered.

But I thank you greatly for a solution that will work for me and my team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2011 Jul 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The easy down and dirty is here: http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/create_a_yellow_highlighter_style_in_indesign.html.

Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 16, 2011 Jul 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all so much. Seems like such a small thing...but not in the big picture of things. I'm grateful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines