Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ttf to otf

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

i want to convert ttf font to otf font (i need cff table to create swf font in as3 beacause i use tlf) with makeotfexe.exe trought commanline... is it possible ?

if not how to build cff table with the glyf and loca table of the ttf font in as3...

thanks

Simon

TOPICS
Open Type FDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 06, 2012 Dec 06, 2012

OK, I guess you're looking for a way to generate low-level font data in AS3. I can tell you that there's no native solution. You may be able to find a library somewhere that does it, but I don't know of any.

If you want to pursue the approach of running a font converter from the command line, I think you could try FontForge.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon,

makeOTF can't convert between font formats. There's no FDK tool that you can use for that.

Also, keep in mind that if these are fonts that you licenced, you should make sure that the license allows you to do such conversions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2012 Dec 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Miguel,

i work for a book editor who have built the font licence for all support (print, web...), do you know a way to create the cff table with the glyf and loca table ?

thanks

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to use a font editor or a font converter app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i need to do that  in runtime with as3... it seems to be hard to do that in pure as3 code but i can use a exe file and communicate with it with NativeProcess class, but i can't find a font converter standalone exe... do u know one ?

thanks

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I didn't quite understand what you're trying to do.

You want to convert a whole TT font to OT/CFF font at runtime? Why do you need to do that?

TLF supports both TTF and OTF. What it doesn't support is Type 1 fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tlf dont support ttf because ttf doesn't have cff table, tlf need a definefont 4 font definition with the cff table, otf (opentype) have cff table but ttf (truetype) doesn't have this table, the glyph is describe in ttf with glyf and loca table....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll admit that my knowledge on DefineFont4 and using fonts in Flash is a bit rusty, but I think you're wrong. I'm 99% sure that TLF supports TrueType fonts.

Have you considered embedding the fonts?

Here's a code example: Embedding fonts in ActionScript

The part of most importance to you is probably this one:

[Embed(source='../assets/MyriadWebPro.ttf',
fontName='myMyriadFont',
mimeType='application/x-font',
embedAsCFF='true' )]
// You do not use this variable directly. It exists so that
// the compiler will link in the font.
private var font1:Class;

The embedAsCFF value is what will determine if the font is embedded as DefineFont3 (false) or DefineFont4 (true). As you may know, TLF components require DF4. This is valid for TrueType (.ttf) and OpenType (.otf) fonts alike, despite the 'CFF' letters in the keyword.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're right but when you embed a font like that in flex, it convert the font in swf with flex-fontkit.jar, that create the cff table with java. I can't use this because i need to convert the font when the air application run and not when i create the air application. if you got an idea...

thanks

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I guess you're looking for a way to generate low-level font data in AS3. I can tell you that there's no native solution. You may be able to find a library somewhere that does it, but I don't know of any.

If you want to pursue the approach of running a font converter from the command line, I think you could try FontForge.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2012 Dec 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines