Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type 3 Font

May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know where I can find a Type 3 font (the .afm and .pfb) in the Garamond typeface with all 4 styles (normal, bold, italic and bold italic)?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2014 May 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mtnbiker,

There seems to be a discrepancy between the terms, .afm and .pfb relating to PostScript Type 1.

PostScript fonts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As I (mis)understand it, if you are after a Type 3 appearance based upon Garamond, which is quite far from it in itself, you may think in terms of changing the appearance, maybe applying effects as you may do in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 12, 2014 May 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I actually did mean Type 1, not Type 3.  I've tried Fonts.com but no success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 11, 2014 May 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you really mean Type 3 fonts as opposed to Type 1 fonts? Very few fonts have been offered in Type 3 format in nearly 25 years!

Although Type 3 fonts are most often associated with bitmap fonts, in reality, a Type 3 font may have its glyphs defined as any arbitrary PostScript program (including the ability to vary a glyph's appearance based on external factors, random numbers, etc.). Type 3 fonts don't provide for “hinting” – automatic adjustment by the renderer to account for the combination of low resolution and/or low magnification (i.e., small point sizes).

You should also be aware that much if not most application software and operating system software provides no support for Type 3 fonts.

Exactly why do you want Type 3 as opposed to Type 1? Is there some special effect you are trying to achieve?

– Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sorry.  I made a mistake and realized it should have been Type 1 not Type 3.  Having realized that, I've found several sources where I can get a Type 1 Garamond font. Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, you really should consider OpenType fonts instead of Type 1 fonts. OpenType fonts are cross-platform compatible and depending upon the foundry and the particular font can potentially offer many more built-in typographical features in conjunction with not only high end layout programs like InDesign, but also word processing software such as recent versions of Microsoft Word.

Unless you have a particular reason for use of Type 1, OpenType (either the OpenType CFF or OpenType TrueType flavours) is a much better choice.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 13, 2014 May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, you are correct on that.  I'm, however, using antiquated conversion software at work that specifically requires Type 1, hence my search for that particular type.  But that said, I do appreciate your knowledge and input that you shared.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 13, 2014 May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that if you have an ongoing need for Type 1 fonts, it might be useful to be able to convert existing fonts. You need to be careful about licensing issues, as many commercial fonts don't allow such conversions. (Adobe's do, as long as they are fonts entirely owned by Adobe or were licensed before 2011.)

But assuming you can clear that hurdle, a tool such as our own TransType 4 (US $97) might be handy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"our own TransType 4"

Hey Thomas, I thought you worked for extensis or have you shifted to FontLab?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I joined FontLab just two weeks ago. 

http://blog.fontlab.com/varia/thomas-phinney-joins-fontlab-2/

Huh, something funny happening with the ampersands on that page... will have to look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fixed ampersand issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines