• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

type on call

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2016 Mar 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lost many of my Adobe fonts recently during a system restore. I purchased them years ago and installed them with Type On call PC 4.1, and transferred them manually each time I upgraded to a new computer. I happen to still have two of the Type On Call CDs and the documentation for about thirty-five of my purchases (iow I have the access keys). However, the CD won't run on my Windows 10 PC! How can I restore my fonts? Tech support, both chat and in person was unable to help, and I couldn't find anything useful on the Adobe site.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Moved to the Type & Typography forum.

The problem is that the program on the CD is a 16-bit Windows program, something that simply doesn't run anymore on modern Windows systems. And the product is exceptionally old and hasn't been supported by Adobe for years.

Assuming that you have actual backups from the system that had to be restored, you would need to find and manually move the font files that were unlocked from Type On Call to the new system and install from there. The Type On Call fonts were

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Microsoft – Official Home Page and search for an article on installing fonts in Win10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, Microsoft assumes you already have the unlocked font file. All I have is a Type On Call CD and the unlocking codes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your lost fonts are a valuable asset it might be worth considering installing Oracles Virtual Box and running an older Windows version from inside that environment. I run Windows 3.11 from Virtual Box on my Windows 7 PC with most of my old applications (including Adobe Type Manager 3.02, Acrobat Professional 3.0 and the TOC CD).

PM me if you need more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Type & Typography forum.

The problem is that the program on the CD is a 16-bit Windows program, something that simply doesn't run anymore on modern Windows systems. And the product is exceptionally old and hasn't been supported by Adobe for years.

Assuming that you have actual backups from the system that had to be restored, you would need to find and manually move the font files that were unlocked from Type On Call to the new system and install from there. The Type On Call fonts were if I recall correctly all Type 1 fonts which meant that for each font you installed, there was a .pfb and .pfm file. If you can find those and move them back from your backup, you should be able to install those fonts.

- Dov

PS:     Type On Call was probably discontinued 15 years ago or so.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines