Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Typekit and Font Management : Still a bit confused

Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2014 Jul 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still a little confused as to how the new Creative Cloud TypeKit works and how it will or will not effect our workflow.

1. We currently use Extensis Universal Type Server (UTS). We have a team membership license for Creative Cloud. Does TypeKit interject itself before fonts are loaded from UTS?
  2. If fonts are downloaded to the desktop from TypeKit do I need to copy these into UTS? Should my users mix and match fonts acquired with UTS and TypeKit or maintain the status with UTS? Can you disable TypeKit if this is the case? How can we resolve conflicts with fonts if UTS and TypeKit are running?
  3. Do we need to purchase fonts now that with TypeKit the claim is all fonts from Adobe are free with CC membership? How does this interact with UTS?
  4. Does Adobe still sell fonts if TypeKit being part of the CC subscription implies the complete catalog is free?
  5. How are font licensing issues handled with TypeKit? In the past, font licensing was a big concern in publishing and still very confusing as to use and purchasing.

I have been trying to get a firm understanding of the use and rights of fonts throughout my career and with TypeKit it puts many of my past understandings into perplexity.

Thank you for any answers towards my questions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 30, 2014 Jul 30, 2014
I received an email response from and Adobe Rep:Let me see if I can clear things up here:> 1. We currently use Extensis Universal Type Server (UTS). We have a team membership license for Creative Cloud. Does TypeKit interject itself before fonts are loaded from UTS?A: Unfortunately, I don't have the details here. However, Extensis announced that Typekit can work along side UTS: http://blog.extensis.com/font-management/universal-type-server-now-supports-use-typekit-desktop-fonts.phpTypekit doesn'...

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ken,

we here in the forum are not employees of Adobe, we are users like you, even if you will see sometimes staff's people which try to help here.

The first informations about pricing for example you will get there: Adobe - Typekit Services Agreement . There you will find answered most of your questions. Please come back for further questions.

Hans-Günter

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I received an email response from and Adobe Rep:

Let me see if I can clear things up here:

> 1. We currently use Extensis Universal Type Server (UTS). We have a team membership license for Creative Cloud. Does TypeKit interject itself before fonts are loaded from UTS?

A: Unfortunately, I don't have the details here. However, Extensis announced that Typekit can work along side UTS: http://blog.extensis.com/font-management/universal-type-server-now-supports-use-typekit-desktop-font...

Typekit doesn't install the fonts the same way you would install a perpetual license. I hope that article helps clarify specific questions.

> 2. If fonts are downloaded to the desktop from TypeKit do I need to copy these into UTS? Should my users mix and match fonts acquired with UTS andTypeKit or maintain the status with UTS? Can you disable TypeKit if this is the case? How can we resolve conflicts with fonts if UTS and TypeKit are running?

A: UTS and Typekit should be able to work at the same time. However, you won't be able to add Typekit fonts to UTS. Each CC Team user would need to sync the fonts from Typekit that they wish to use.

> 3. Do we need to purchase fonts now that with TypeKit the claim is all fonts from Adobe are free with CC membership? How does this interact with UTS?

A: If the font you need is in Typekit and you have a Portfolio Plan (through Creative Cloud Teams or otherwise) you get access to that font. So, you can sync it from Typekit and use it in desktop apps. If a font isn't available on Typekit, you would need to purchase a perpetual license for the team and add it to UTS like you have with other fonts.

> 4. Does Adobe still sell fonts if TypeKit being part of the CC subscription implies the complete catalog is free?

A: Currently, you can still purchase perpetual licenses to Adobe owned fonts as well as some other fonts that they resell. However, the Adobe owned fonts and many other commercial fonts are available with a Typekit subscription. Access to Typekit isn't really free. You're paying for it when you pay for Creative Cloud. It's just that Typekit doesn't cost you anything extra since it's included.

> 5. How are font licensing issues handled with TypeKit? In the past, font licensing was a big concern in publishing and still very confusing as to use and purchasing.

A: This article is a good place to start: http://help.typekit.com/customer/portal/articles/1341590-typekit-font-licensing

If you have specific questions about licensing or use cases, feel free to ask.I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Benjamin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines