• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What the font?

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all. I've been busting my brain the last few days about this - any idea what font this is? 

Thanks! IMG_0789.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Did you try WhatTheFont

https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Type & Typography forum

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on the inconsistencies in the letterforms, my guess is this a custom set of letters creating a trademark/logo and not a font at all (yes, we used to do this in the olden days). Volk Racing is a logo trademark that has been around for over 30 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Volk Racing logo is a classic example of hand-drawn text.

That is: letterforms physically drawn using rulers, french curves, compasses, and stencils. Either that, or using digital equivalents like the tools found in Adobe Illustrator. My guess is the logo was probably first drawn by hand, and then later converted into a digital version.

Notice how many of the shapes and curves in the logo letterforms are consistent: they’re simply small variations on each other. Although a typeface could have been the original inspiration, many logos like this are custom-made.

Perhaps the only letters in the logo that are directly based upon a typeface are in the word ‘ENGINEERING’. The typeface in question: Alessandro Butti and Aldo Novarese’s Microgramma.

Microgramma and a related typeface called Eurostile were released by the Italian typefoundry Nebiolo between 1950 and 1962. Microgramma is an extended-width, capitals-only design. Eurostile is a more extensive version of Microgramma: complete with uppercase and lowercase alphabets, and available in a wide range of weights and widths. Both are popular typefaces, and have been regularly used in modernist and futurist designs over the years.

If you need to rebuild the logo from scratch for the company, then perhaps the best place to do it would be in Adobe Illustrator, using the Pen and related tools to create clean letterform outlines. Then add the ‘ENGINEERING’ text set in Microgramma or Eurostile Extended, and you’re largely done.

If you’re building a logo for someone else that derives its letterforms from the Volk Racing logo, please be aware of the potential legal consequences. Some companies actively protect their trademarks; designing something that looks too much like the Volk Racing logo may become a problem in the future.

Using the ‘VOLK RACING’ letterforms as an inspirational starting point shouldn’t necessarily be a problem, however. Just as long as any new design differs enough from the Volk Racing logo that one can’t be mistaken for the other. In American law: you can’t copyright or patent typefaces and the shape of letterforms; you can trademark names and logo designs.

I hope that answers your question. If not, please let me know.

Best regards
Andrew

–30–

ANDREW KEITH STRAUSS / ACTP / CTT+ / ACI / ACE / ACP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines