• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where do I find HelveticaNeue?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2012 Jan 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to find this font so I can purchase it. What is it's real name?

[email address deleted by host]

TOPICS
How to , Purchase

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The real name of the font is indeed Helvetica Neue. You can license it (not purchase it) from most major font foundries including Adobe, Linotype, etc.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2014 Jan 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dov,

may I check with you - if I purchase http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&event=displayFontPackage&code=1766 by clicking on "Buy this Package", does it allow me to use @font-face to publish it online?

My Project is a commercial website and I am thinking of using Helvetica Neue to display on my website.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 06, 2014 Jan 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not believe so! But I will confirm that for you.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 06, 2014 Jan 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirming that no, you cannot use the Helvetica Neue Std licensed from Adobe with @font-face to publish on-line. You would need to go to http://www.myfonts.com or http://www.fonts.com/ to license Helvetica Neue for use as a web font.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And be careful, because in my experience this font does not play well with PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uaintgotthisid could you please define "does not play well with PC" ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be one person's experience, but we at Adobe are not aware of such an issue!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I use Helvetica Neue, which is bundled on my Mac, in a commercial logo, transform it to outlines but do not issue it as a useable font in the style guide, do I need to purchase a license?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, cool. What is the official name of "Helvetica Neue" as I can't find anything that is called just "Helvetica Neue"....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is an example of the error window i get in AiHN.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, Helvetica Neue is not a WIndows system font. It is a system font that is bundled with recent versions of the MacOS with some form of the words Helvetica and Neue in the name of the font. If you opened an InDesign document with that font missing, it is likely (but not necessarily) a document recently processed on a Macintosh.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct. I need to find the PC equivilent. I need the specific name of the font that will exactly replicate the font named above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you get the font file itself from whoever created or last worked on the document and used that font (assuming that the font is either an OpenType or a Windows format TrueType font and that you can legally use the font), you may need to separately license Helvetica Neue from any one of the font foundries with a Helvetica Neue family. The name might not match exactly (actually, probably won't match exactly) and  you may need to make adjustments in your document to use name of the font that you do license.

FWIW, your experience is not uncommon. There are hundreds of different variants of Helvetica, Times, Arial, etc. that share the same names, but are slightly different. In this particular case, having a slightly different name is probably for the best if you can't get the exact same font, because it will force you to look for any problems that the replacement font may cause (slightly different metrics, styles, etc.).

As far as I know, Apple does not license its version of HelveticaNeue for use on other platforms and even if the font is in OpenType or Windows TrueType format and could be copied to a Windows system, you are probably in violation of the licensing conditions for that font under MacOS X. The closest you may come to the exact HelveticatNeue on the Macintosh may be available from Monotype or Linotype on-line at their web sites.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look here <http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&event=displayFontPackage&code=1766> for Adobe's offerings in terms of Helvetica Neue. And yes, the font family name is in fact Helvetica Neue. Each member of the font family (51 styles in total) has a name that begins with Helvetica Neue Std.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines