• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which method to install Type 1 Postscript onto XP pro 64bit ?

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2009 Feb 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wikipedia says..ATM Version 4.1.2 is fully compatible with Windows 2000 and XP (It will run on XP 64 bit, but the installer doesn't work so you have to install it on a 32bit version then copy over the files).

How safe is this to do, not wishing to screw up a brand new PC at the start of the build !

Just what is it referring to, what exactly do I do please ?

Is there an equivalent to ATM for 64bit, that functions just as well.

On my 32bit system (I am dual boot XP32/home 64pro) I did try using just Start>Control Panel>Fonts File>install font but it threw up a mesage 'creator of font doesnt want font converted to true type and ok'ing this saw nothing happen it seemed. So on went ATM 4.1, then the registry addition in post#65 of another thread to fix the font invalid problem I was getting, and I proceeded to install all my Type 1's.

I would thus like to use ATM on 64 if poss, in a safe way.

Envirographics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about ATM Light or ATM Deluxe? ATM Deluxe, with its
font management features, is not supported. Other font management
utilities are widely available.

The only need for ATM on Windows XP is if you're using Multiple Master
fonts. XP contains built-in support for Type 1 and all OpenType fonts.
Unlike Windows NT4, which converted T1's to Truetype, Windows XP and
Windows 2000 use Type 1 fonts natively.

I have no idea what configuration or other utilities you may have that
resulted in the message "creator of font doesn't want font converted
to true type". This is definitely NOT a Windows or Adobe message, and
I've never seen anything in Fontographer or FontLab (font creation
programs) that would provide such a creator's option.

Note that if you have already installed ATM 4.1, removing it destroys
XP's native ability to install and use Type 1 fonts. One remedy is to
install 4.1.2 and then un-install it, which leaves XP's T1 handling
intact.

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Type Manager is no longer a marketed, sold, and/or supported by Adobe. Wikipedia is not an expert on Adobe products and does represent our position on products.

Although some users have reported hacking ATM up to somehow install and run on 64-bit versions of Windows, Adobe neither supports nor recommends this. And if you run into problems, you will not get any support from Adobe.

ATM was originally designed for Windows 3.1 with later updates for Windows'9x, Windows NT 4, and Windows 2000. Its primary purpose to provide Type 1 and Multiple Master (and later OpenType CFF) font support to Windows although Type 1 and OpenType CFF support was subsequently provided natively in Windows beginning with Windows 2000 (joint project of Microsoft and Adobe). Fairly primitive font management was the added-value of ATM Deluxe compared to ATM Lite such font management features are not particularly sophisticated and really cannot deal with many thousands of fonts, server-based fonts, etc. The only remaining function supported by ATM (both versions) that is not provided either by Windows natively or can be provided by other font management programs is support for Multiple Master fonts. Multiple Master fonts were discontinued in the late 1990s Adobe strongly recommends that users of same migrate to the equivalent OpenType CFF fonts that mimic the characteristics of the original Multiple Master predefined instances.

Bottom line, we recommend that you install fonts under Windows using the native Windows install font feature of the Fonts control panel. We also strongly recommend that you not attempt to use ATM under any version of Vista or any 64-bit version of Windows.

There are third party programs that you might want to investigate for handling font management.

- Dov
- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for the quick responses,
I am only using ATM Deluxe 4.1
You both say that I should go with the XP OS and its support of Type 1 and that ATM has no purpose now.
My first use of this ControlPanel>Fonts>install font method saw this method try to turn the font into true type, with that warning of font creator does not wish for such. Now this PC is new, it has had XPhome SP2 followed by Freehand then Photoshop, thats it.
This alternate method to using ATM to install Type 1 thus was a dead end for me.

I can't see how I can use that route if having used it, it wanted to convert to True type. Does it do this normally, and also install the type 1 fonts. What will my various progs make of fonts if they are TT and not Type 1. I read in the ATM readme that installing ATM Deluxe after Type 1 fonts have been installed via Control Panel method would see ATM locate and find the Type 1 files assoc with the TT fonts that were made. Sounds like windows creates TT and keeps Type 1 also on the system.

If it also installs Type 1 along with making a second set as TT then all's well, though I end up with twice as many fonts ! ?

I have on my previous PC used ATM 4.1 Deluxe, that was also XP home 32bit. Same XP disc in fact. Its now a dead PC. With the new PC I installed ATM deluxe without even thinking, as I always used it to load on Type 1 Postscript fonts and like it.

I just don't know what to do now, given my experience, for my 64 bit OS. I shall keep ATM deluxe 4.1 on my 32bit, as it made easy work of installing my fonts there, without it, I was rejected by the install routine on just my first font AGaramond. The 64bit is my worry now.

Reading elsewhere, mention of Suitcase as bloated, please give me ATM someone says. If I were to avoid the Control panel route, what would be slick and functional like ATM and ok with 64bit ?

Envirographics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Envirographics wrote:
"My first use of this ControlPanel>Fonts>install font method saw this
method try to turn the font into true type, with that warning of font
creator does not wish for such."

XP does not convert to truetype
ATM does not and never has converted to truetype.

Windows NT is/was the ONLY Microsoft operating system that converted
T1 to truetype.

Are you sure that you didn't use an NT installation disk? Unless XP64
has some old buried NT code in it that you've accidentally managed to
unearth.

The problem shouldn't have anything to do with your dual boot system,
unless somehow the two OS's aren't completely independent and are
sharing some critical file or other, or your disk assignments somehow
overlap or you forgot which OS you were on when or ... (just grasping
at straws here).

Another remote possibility - the video driver problem referred to in
another thread. The fix you applied to XP32 might be equally necessary
with XP64.

Exactly which fonts have you tried and gotten what results with?
Include the file names, the versions, etc. There are countless
variations of 'Adobe Garamond', for instance.

"I read in the ATM readme that installing ATM Deluxe after Type 1
fonts have been installed via Control Panel method would see ATM
locate and find the Type 1 files assoc with the TT fonts that were made."

You are misreading that section. (2.2.1 of the ATM 4.1x readme).

What that says applies ONLY to Windows NT, and describes the actions
taken IF you try to install a T1 with ATM when NT had previously
installed a converted TT version of the same font.

"Sounds like windows creates TT and keeps Type 1 also on the system."
Again - only NT, and it keeps a backup copy of TT fonts that it
removes/uninstalls/deactivates. No operating system knows what to do
with two different identically named (internally) versions of the same
font installed, regardless of format.

See this page, too:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1553

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
If you are getting a message associated with the system wanting to convert a Type 1 font to TrueType, it is indicative that you somehow messed up your operating system's ability to deal at all with Type 1 fonts. This may have been due to attempts to install ATM where it should not have been installed and/or to subsequently uninstall ATM.

There is one fix to try. Go to and download ATMFix.exe and run it (must be an administrator for this to work). This should restor...

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines