• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will a custom PDF font look the same on all computers?

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2009 Jun 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, All.

I would like to use a cursive font in my PDF, or some other font that looks like natural handwriting. But, if the user that I send it to doesn't have the same font installed, will s/he be able to see the custom font? Or, will the PDF default to Times New Roman, Arial, etc.?

I understand that fonts can be somehow "embedded" into a pdf, but I don't really understand what this means, and the advantage/disadvantage of doing it.

Thanks for your time to respond to my question!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 16, 2009 Jun 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what font embedding does. It allows you to include fonts or, more economically, subsets containing only the characters actually used, so that the recipient will see exactly what you've produced.

Go to Acrobat Help, search for 'embed', and click on the section "embedding and unembedding fonts using the TouchUp Text too". It gives detailed instructions.

Note that SOME fonts do not allow themselves to be embedded. These have either been produced by an overprotective maker or the embedding flags were set wrong. If you encounter such a font, you can either use a different font or contact the the font producer to see if you can obtain an embeddable copy.

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2009 Jun 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks very much for responding and clearing up a bit of the mystery for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines