• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I recently moved to a Windows 10 PC. Adobe no longer sees my Helvetica fonts.

Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently built a new Win10 PC and moved from my old (Win7) machine. 

Adobe products no longer see (most of) my installed Helvetica fonts. 

Non-Adobe (e.g. Notepad, Microsoft Word) still see these fonts, but Animate, Photoshop, Premiere, etc. don't see them. I'm attaching two screenshots showing the difference between fonts visible in Notepad and those visible in Animate.

So far I have only noticed this with Helvetica fonts for some reason. Any ideas what's going on? TIA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

You are correct in that Helvetica is not a font offered by the Adobe Fonts service.

Are the Helvetica fonts Type 1 (.pfm and .pfb files), TrueType (.ttf files), OpenType TTF (.ttf files), or OpenType CFF (.otf files) fonts? How did you install them? For recent versions of Windows 10, you right click on the font file (the .pfm file for Type 1 fonts) and select Install for all users. Unless you install for all users, some Adobe applications might not see the fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I don't think this has anything to do with Adobe Fonts. I honestly don't remember where/when I acquired and installed these fonts but it was many years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct in that Helvetica is not a font offered by the Adobe Fonts service.

Are the Helvetica fonts Type 1 (.pfm and .pfb files), TrueType (.ttf files), OpenType TTF (.ttf files), or OpenType CFF (.otf files) fonts? How did you install them? For recent versions of Windows 10, you right click on the font file (the .pfm file for Type 1 fonts) and select Install for all users. Unless you install for all users, some Adobe applications might not see the fonts.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov, they are Type 1 fonts. 

'Install for all users' has done the trick! I was originally just 'installing' them.

Thank you! I'm not sure why these are the only fonts but, if I find any more, I'll know how to solve the issue.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great, glad to know that this “trick” worked.

I actually found this issue a while back with the Adobe applications in certain circumstances. The actual issue was (is) in an internal routine which does what is called “font enumeration” that wasn't modified to be aware of Microsoft's change. The fixes should ultimately hit all the Adobe applications, but in general, using the Install for all users should fix the issue for all applications and does no harm.

(FWIW, we are still trying to figure out why Microsoft suddenly made a change to have font installation either for a current user or all users. Doesn't seem to buy anything. We are also expecting to see print drivers also become installed either by user or for all users in the future – why, we don't know!)

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines