• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any one pre-order the new X299 motherboard with an Intel I9 processor?

LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious how many people jump at these new super components.  They are high on my wish list but I have to justify every dollar these days.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

x299 is being pushed out early to compete with amd, so i would advise waiting a month or two after the release to see if any issues are found. the big price drops and new 12-18 core cpu's are a response to competition from amd. so anyone buying intel should send a thank you to amd, as amd have saved them $400-700+ by forcing intel to lower prices.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am leaning your way Trevor.  But right now I will not do an upgrade.  I will be doing a household move before long.

Did you read the next generation of Xeon, of course it is not designed for workstation applications but the industrial high density servers.  tn the long run we could see some fallout.  The new Platinum 8176 processor with a 3647 pins where the current units have 2011, a price of only $8179 for 28 cores and 56 threads plus direct network connectivity from the CPU and 48 PCIe Gen 3 lanes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bill+Gehrke  wrote

I am leaning your way Trevor.  But right now I will not do an upgrade.  I will be doing a household move before long.

Did you read the next generation of Xeon, of course it is not designed for workstation applications but the industrial high density servers.  tn the long run we could see some fallout.  The new Platinum 8176 processor with a 3647 pins where the current units have 2011, a price of only $8179 for 28 cores and 56 threads plus direct network connectivity from the CPU and 48 PCIe Gen 3 lanes.

Yes I did see that.  My goodness, that's serious stuff.  Is this the sort of thing that drives the big data centres that Amazon Microsoft and Google own?  I could do with getting one to heat my house up.  It is damn chilly here right now.

Intel Xeon Platinum 8176 Scalable Processor Review - Tom's Hardware

Bill would you still use an NVIDIA GPU in an X399 board?  It sounds like the bitcoin data mining bubble has burst with the value of the bit coins falling, and the difficulty rising, so we might see an end to the GPU shortage.  Plus there are now several GPUs designed specifically for data mining.   I am also thinking how I could spend the money I'd save with a Threadripper system. 2 Tb M.2 Drive?  A dedicated M.2 drive for cache?  No need to worry about needing Intel NVMe SSDs if you wanted to boot from a couple in a raid0 (not that I am thinking that way).  Time to really get to grips with the X399 chipset and features, and start looking seriously at the boards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Bill would you still use an NVIDIA GPU in an X399 board?  It sounds like the bitcoin data mining bubble has burst with the value of the bit coins falling, and the difficulty rising, so we might see an end to the GPU shortage.  Plus there are now several GPUs designed specifically for data mining.   I am also thinking how I could spend the money I'd save with a Threadripper system. 2 Tb M.2 Drive?  A dedicated M.2 drive for cache?  No need to worry about needing Intel NVMe SSDs if you wanted to boot from a couple in a raid0 (not that I am thinking that way).  Time to really get to grips with the X399 chipset and features, and start looking seriously at the boards.

1. Yes I would still use the CUDA GPU's.
  2. My suggestion after testing is to use a SATA III SSD for the OS/Applications and use that M.2 2 TB for your Premiere projects and Media.  If you have projects with a hundred or more clips then Puget's testing shows that it may pay to have a separate Cache SSD and many others have found that especially for After Effects it seems a necessary usage.
  3. NVMe does not seem in my testing to be of any value for Premiere, its value is where you have high I/O operations like database operations.  What I go for is the best sequential read write rates like the Samsung 960 Pro drives.  Video editing need the high sequential rates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here was the headline on my local Microcenter email of the day

Save $400! Intel Core i7-6850K Processor now only $299

Thank you AMD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a bit more information on the 7920X now.  I was thinking it might be the sweet spot in the i(X line up, but the word is its base clock speed is just 2.9Ghz.  By far the bulk of my workload is Photoshop, so the 7900X would actually out perform the more expensive 7920X.

Threadripper Competition Emerges As Intel Lets Core i9-7920X Details Slip

I'm liking some of the X399 motherboards, and Threadripper clock speeds are not too shabby, but the rumour mill is suggesting that memory speed will be less than X299.  Chris Cox once told us that memory speed was the bottleneck for Photoshop at that time, and that was about four years ago.  I wonder what Chris is doing now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MSI have put out an interesting video on how to mount the big Threadripper chips.  I guess you really don't want to bend pins on a $1000 component, but if they are using the same mount on all boards, it's looking close to fool proof.   I was also a bit surprised to see a liquid cooling system mounted at the end of the video.  I think I have been becoming conditioned by i9X X299 into thinking that you can't do state of the art High End without liquid cooling.

I'm continuing to read everything I can find on i9X and Threadripper, but I have not seen any information on how many cores the max turbo speed of 4Ghz applies to.  It seems a bit ridiculous to have a 16 core CPU that reverts back to one or two cores when the clock speed is boosted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines