• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU not being used in Adobe Premiere 2018

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a brand new laptop with Adobe Premiere 2018 and an NVIDIA GeFore GTX 1050. When I render I see the CPU go to 100% while the GPU sits idle.

In the settings for Premiere I see the "Renderer" set to "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)" and I made a text file in the directory for Premiere called: "cuda_supported_cards.txt" with "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050" in it.

I installed the latest drivers as well.

What is missing/ wrong with this setup?

thanks

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rajivs13818131,

Glad my suggestion helped you. I would personally recommend to keep it disabled for two reasons: (1) After every app update you would need to repeat the same process. (2) While rendering heavy effects, transitions or 4K clips, Adobe tries to optimize the process by using every possible hardware (including your RAM, Virtual RAM / Pagefile, All GPUs, Processor and even HDD) because of which even if you sniff only GTX 1050 it would try to detect other GPUs (if available in enable state) in such scenarios which definitely not hinder the render process but might lead to reduction in quality of rendering and can take more time to render. Hope I could resolve your query.

Thanks,

Aviral

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Aviral,

I have same problem and your approach does not help me. But my GPU is GTX 770. I tried GPUSniffer and nothing happend. I still can choose CUDA in premiere pro but only CPU works during rendering video (CPU - 100 %, GPU 15 %). Integrated GPU is off in bios.

Do you have any other idea?

Thank you.

Jakub

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello jakub,

did you sniffed GPU as administrator? And also for both the apps i.e premiere pro and encoder?

Thanks,

Aviral

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also after sniffing on premiere pro and encoder, try running premiere pro as an administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jakub_mi  wrote

Hello Aviral,

I have same problem and your approach does not help me. But my GPU is GTX 770. I tried GPUSniffer and nothing happend. I still can choose CUDA in premiere pro but only CPU works during rendering video (CPU - 100 %, GPU 15 %). Integrated GPU is off in bios.

Do you have any other idea?

Thank you.

Jakub

Jakub,

Here is what you have to do to see if your GTX 770 is usable;  You cannot just run it.  You have to open a cmd window with Admin privileges.  it will look like this and then you have to change directories to get to the specific version of Premiere Pro.  Then you will see something like this:

I did not have a GTX 770 but here is a GTX 780 output.  If your CPU has a built in GPU that could interfere with the GPU usage

Secondly, as many people have said the GPU is only used if you are using a few effects and features.  IF you want to see 99% usage of your GTX 770 and if your CPU is powerful enough try download my hardware testing benchmark while running Premiere Pro.  It is Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) and with two of the four tests you will see GPU usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow,  Thanks, aviralmediratt.  Running that sniffer did the fix for me, as administrator (need to go into the Windows Explorer and right click on that sniffer file.

.   The sniffer only runs for a split second -- but it did the job -- and now Mercury Playback is once again enabled for my 1060 Nvidia card.

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEy Rowby,

Glad it worked for you as well.

Cheers!!!

Avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said change the renderer in the first step. do you mean to software or Cuda? and just to make sure im coming here for the right problem, I have a Good PC build and My adobe premiere i'snt really utilizing my GPU much at all even when on CUDA

thanks

-Jae

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What GPU accelerated effects and features are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i7-5930k 3.50ghz

32gb ram

Gtx 1080 gpu

no overclocking or anything like that if that's what you're asking

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Avi,

I'm running the 1060 as well.... tried your method, but doesn't seem to work.

Once I do everything, the video render and playback goes completely blank. (originally I had Mercury Playback Engine Software Only and Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL))

I might be missing the point here:

(1) First of all change the Renderer on Premiere Pro, Media Encoder and After Effects and then close all the Adobe apps(creative cloud would be fine if running but close Premiere, Photoshop and such other apps).

What do you mean in "change the Renderer" ? Change to what?

let me know, cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, after a restart, I've managed to get the sniffing right. It works now! Thank you!

I got a question. Can I re activate the internal gpu after this process or it has to be disabled all the way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bakershaker​,

Sorry for the delay in response. Glad to know you could solve it. I would recommend you to keep is disabled unless you need the on board GPU for other purpose.

Thanks,

Avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! It worked for me too - Laptop Samsung Odyssey i5.

The only thing is that a I can't turn the Intel Card enable again, once it will take way my Cudas from premeire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried the same, I have 8700k 1080 ti evga, asus prime z370-A. Latest Premiere CC 2018, Encoder 2018.

I have been installoing and uninstalling the program many times and I do not know what I did but I made 1080 ti work for 100%, it shoed 5 times better performance when just rengering a 4k file without any effects. Now I can't make it work, I don't know what is the reason.

Can this be because I am using trial version?

Can this be because I installed Premiere on Mac also (hackintosh)?

Those questions may sound silly, But I do not know what to do...

I have build a rocket for rendering but can't launch it. Please help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU sniffer worked for me, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe Premiere Pro 2019 - C__Users_benja_OneDrive_Documents_Adobe_Premiere Pro_13.0_molen_mist.prproj 08_05_2020 11_53_31.png

When I disable the integrated intel gpu, my whole interface get's bigger in scale, some things look weird. But most importantly, the playback is just black now. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some important points for everyone landing on this discussion:

If you render a video on Premiere Pro or Media Encoder its the effects, transitions, and layered compilation that uses GPU as primary renderer. For rest it would still use your CPU as primary renderer but GPU would make the rendering process flawless and smooth along with providing secondary support to rendering to provide perfect color depth which indirectly helps in faster rendering.

Thanks,

Aviral

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Ive bought a new notebook - GTX 1070 with core i7 7700.

I have a desktop with the same specs.

I followed this guide, sorta, cuz i guess i cant really disable the onboard gpu on a notebook as it wont work without it as i read on another forum.

I used the sniffer to select the gpu.

But im getting 60h on a video rendering made on after effects, rendering on media encoder.

On the desktop with the same specs i render it in 3h.

As you can see in the pic, its using the correct, gpu but still....

Any hints guys1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi brunno159,

First f all sorry for the delay in response. Can you try taking a screenshot of the sniffing result and share? I would need to read that. Make sure to be quick to take the screenshot as you would have a second or two to do it as it auto closes once process completes irrespective of success or failure.

Thanks,

Avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ss.png

Whoa, didnt know it was giving this error...Anyway to fix? Tks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks brunno159​ for sharing the screenshot. This means you haven't disabled your onboard GPU (Intel) before sniffing. To be able to sniff the GPU correctly you need to disable your onboard GPU in 'Device Manager'. Please do that and try once.

Thanks,
Avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ss.pngss2.png

Hello, again.

As you can see by the screenshots, i disabled the onboard gpu but the render time is absurd..... Any help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what Can you try reinstalling the GPU drivers. Try fresh installation and not updating it. Also check for the settings in nvidia control panel.

Thanks,

Avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same basic problem but I only have one Graphics card, no onboard intel. My card is Nvidia Quadro FX5800.  I am Running Premier Pro 2018.  I have tried GPUSniffer, it sees the card and identifies it.  I tried the txt file insertion - no luck.  What am I missing here?  Shouldn't the Quadro FX 5800 work?  It used to.

Help if you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines