• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Graphic Card That Delivers True 10bit With A Displayport?

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My head is spinning with all the different opinions, 'real world' experience and statements of performance by manufacturers.  I surrender.

My desktop is a PC, the old h8-1520t, 300 watt power supply, Intel HD Graphics 4000 and 16gb RAM.  What graphic card will work in this system that will also work with Photoshop CC OpenGL, give me TRUE 10bit color and allow me to get the full resolution out of my new BenQ SW2700PT?

I know I need a displayport but as for everything else....there are so many contradictory articles that I just have no idea.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

The graphics card will only be used for photography and some HD video.  No games or 3D rendering, etc.

Thanks again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That 300 watt PS might be your limiting factor.  You may have to upgrade the PS to support a discrete GPU.  A Quadro P4000 only requires 105 watts but you will have to find out if you system has that much power available. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had wondered about the 300 watts....have heard that it will work and have heard it will not.  Head still spinning.  Thanks, much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to check your power supply needs, Newegg.com - Recommended Power Supply Calculator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually DisplayPort does not matter for 10bit with Photoshop or any other application. DisplayPort or HDMI will give you 10 bit color output. What matters in regards to Adobe specifically Photoshop per your post is the API which is Open GL. In other words you need a video card that supports 10 bit color in Open GL. Nvidia divides the 10 bit color support between the Quadro and Geforce cards by drivers. The Quadro cards support 10bit color in Open GL. The Geforce cards support 10 bit color in Direct X. Since Adobe Uses Open GL for Photoshop, you want a Quadro card. So to clarify both DisplayPort and HDMi will give you 10bit color whether a Quadro card or Geforce card. The only part that matters is what the drivers support and per above 10 bit in Open GL on the video card requires Quadro cards. You can get a Blackmagic card though and have 10 bit color via the Blackmagic card and not the video card. Just depends which is better for your workflow and system.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read just about everywhere that the only way to get the 2560 x 1440 out of the BenQ is to use a displayport.  I hate to spend money where I don't need to, but it looks as though I may have a few 'trial and errors' to get through on this one.  Thanks, much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, it has been 1 1/2 years and I've added a couple of more uprgrades. 

I ended up going with the NVIDIA Quadro K4000 and upgraded the power supply with a new, old stock that was the max for this machine.  Works great.  This past weekend, I upgraded the 16GB to 32 GB (went with all the same brand to avoid potential conflicts) and added a secondary drive (2TB) that is also new, old school for this machine.  Now running Photoshop on the secondary drive and man, talk about speed.  I no sooner click Bridge and it is open.  I click to open a RAW file in Camera Raw and BOOM!  It's open.  A joy to work again without the tools getting in the way.  Thanks to all for the advice, it was and is much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines