Exit

GTX 1080

Explorer ,
May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally a confirmation on this card

GTX 1080 Graphics Card | GeForce

it looks like an absolute beast and not overly expensive - looking forward to trying it. is there any reason why it wont be supported in PR?

Cheers

Gareth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2016 May 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will the GTX 980TI be cheaper than the new 10xx cards in a month or so?  Those have more CUDA cores than the 10xx right?  If you were upgrading from gtx760 would you go 980 or 1070?  I'm concerned with playback more than rendering.

Dual Xeon 64gig ecc ram PCI-E 1.5 SSD media drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only time will give us a good answer.  I am waiting on Eric Bowen's testing of the GTX 1080.

While the GTX 1080 might have fewer CUDA cores it could possibly make up the difference with much higher speed memory clock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works in premiere but not with r3d footage.  Looking for a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2016 May 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Veneman Film wrote:

It works in premiere but not with r3d footage. Looking for a solution.

It's not the card or GPU per se. It's the driver. I had installed 368.22 in my i3 system with the GTX 960, and it couldn't export the H.264 Blu-ray timeline of the PPBM benchmark, which I knew contained some R3D footage, with MPE set to GPU acceleration. The export attempt simply errored out with "Error compiling movie". I had to roll back to the previous WHQL driver version, 365.19, to export that PPBM timeline.

And since 368.22 is the only WHQL driver that is compatible with the Pascal GPUs, the only workaround for R3D at present for GeForce 1000-series GPUs would be to temporarily switch the MPE renderer from GPU accelerated mode to software-only mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously i3 in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was only testing on that i3 system to determine that there might be a compatibility issue between the R3D decoder in the Adobe software and the 368.22 drivers regardless of the GPU used. I do my main editing work on a previous-generation i7-4790K rig.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem I was just wondering. No problem thanks. I will wait a year before changing cards. There has to be new breed of cards

with minimum of 4000cuda cores to cope with the Ultra HD stuff. This way gamers and editors will be happy. I run a GTX690-3930k

and 2x 780ti-990x and the flow is a joy. So GTX1080 can wait

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RjL190365 wrote:

And since 368.22 is the only WHQL driver that is compatible with the Pascal GPUs, the only workaround for R3D at present for GeForce 1000-series GPUs would be to temporarily switch the MPE renderer from GPU accelerated mode to software-only mode.

Well since the 26th the latest WHQL driver is 368.25

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2016 May 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When are we gonna see premiere benches with the new 1080/1070 cards?  Where should I be looking to wait for such benches?  My bottleneck is my gtx760 card and I'm waiting to see if it makes more sense to go with the new 1070 (I know that's not out yet) or the older gtx980 ti since it has more cuda cores.  Rendering is not as important as smooth scrubbing and playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to benchmark r3d but it is not working with r3d in adobe premiere at the moment.  I just get black video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 368.25 driver is for the GeForce GTX 1080 only. It cannot be installed on a system with any earlier GeForce GTX series GPU. Thus, the latest driver for the GTX 900-series and older GPUs is still 368.22. Therefore, the 368.25 driver will have the exact same problem with R3D footage as the 368.22 driver.

Therefore, if one has a GTX 1080, and is trying to edit R3D footage, the only fix right now is to temporarily switch the renderer to MPE software-only mode even if that person's system has the 368.25 driver installed. For the 900-series and earlier GPUs, one must roll back the driver from 368.22 to 365.19 in order to edit R3D footage with MPE GPU acceleration enabled.

Hopefully, nVidia will fix that bug very shortly.

Sorry for not making this clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I have the GTX 1080 and was playing around with it. I have 32GB of ram, and the i7 latest gen Intel processor. The card is really fast, but skipped on video playback during a dissolve pretty severely. I can't get it to play back in real-time. Any pointers? I'm glad to answer questions about how the card is performing. Maybe you guys can help me optimize? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What resolution footage?

which camera and codec?

what bitrate is footage?

What's your media/scratch storage situation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give better answers tomorrow (Just turned in), but I can say:

full res 1920 TGA -> 1080p GoPro footage

bitrate and codec I'll confirm

scratch disc is 60 GB free, but I'll confirm the drive (not SSD)

thanks! More tomorrow!

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need to turn in as well.  I have a feeling it might be you I/O more than your GF card.  Need dedicated SSD scratch disk and or have media on SSD for the smoothest playback.  I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, Thank you for your response! It makes sense that my media and scratch disks should be SSD. The current disk is an older Western Digital 750GB.

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Adobe Premiere benefits mostly from the Cuda cores I still do not see the need to replace my 780ti and 690. The 1080 will be good for games and little gain form 980ti and maybe 780ti hence the price. I feel there is no need to upgrade unless you run a lesser Cuda card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if it would handle playback on premiere 4k at 60fps?  Anyone?  Or 8k 60fps? Anyone got any ideas about that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so far it does not work with adobe premiere when editing r3d footage. If that is where your 4k is coming from. Be happy to test for you if another codec.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2016 Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well yeah i mean is there not h265?

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 10:39 PM, Veneman Film <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it works with h.265. If you have a clip you would like me to test upload it to wetransfer and post a link. I will test.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

really? wow thats cool. I dont want to waste your time. I am just

thinking the mercury playback engine on the card itself would handle 60 fps

of 4k or 8k video or speed up render times?

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 10:36 AM, Veneman Film <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2016 Jun 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a clip I can try it for you.  It will depend on the type of codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2016 Jun 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the gtx 770. It renders my videos all the cuts effects, ect.

Before I had the gtx card, the videos would not render correctly. But

after I got the card they did not drop any frames. I think I was able to

render at 60fps at 1080 res. So what I really am wondering is how much

faster the GTX 1080 would be if I also wanted to try and render 4k and

8k? You know we would really have to benchmark it all and all that. I am

not going to send you any clips. Just asking for friendly advise and

ideas. Cheers from Boston and keep on rock'n in the free world. lol

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Veneman Film <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines