Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Haswell-E (i7-5820K) vs Skylake (i7-6700K) for 4K video editing

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm building a new computer for basic 4K video editing, and am stuck on whether to go with a 5820K or a 6700K. I prefer the latter if the performance difference won't be too great, due to the lower power / cooler running of Skylake, plus the Z170's newer tech (not a huge difference, but things like native USB 3.1 and M.2 support feel good). However, the current supply shortage has made me antsy, and I've begun to wonder whether I should go with Haswell-E or not.

The main things I'd like to improve over my current system (i7-920, 12GB RAM -- 6+ years old) are:

1. Warp Stabilizer speed (super slow on my current machine, and sometimes I have nothing else to do so just have to wait);

2. Rendering (either in AE, or AME);

3. Faster preview framerates without creating proxies (now they're about 1 or 2fps).

I would probably moderately OC both: the 5820K to around 4 GHz, and the 6700K to around 4.5GHz. The system will have 32GB RAM. For GPU, I was thinking of using the built-in one with the 6700K (waiting for a possible Pascal purchase next year, just because ), and a GTX 950 or 960 with the 5820K.

Can anyone tell me if there would be a significant performance boost with the 5820K over the 6700K for my 3 areas of interest?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the i7-5820k is around 20% faster, but may not do as well for any program or plugin that doesn't multi-thread properly. i would avoid skylake at these prices, its just way to close to x99 which has more potential.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In what way do you mean x99 has more potential? More PCIe lanes?

If a 5820K is only going to be about 20% faster, I can wait for the 6700K shortage to end. Intel originally predicted the shortage would last until around now, so hopefully within the next few weeks to a month, pricing should be more in-line with where it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Word from Intel is the shortage is going to continue into next year on the 6700K chips.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that might make my decision easier. I had read last week someone saying supplies of the 6700K should catch up to demand by the 20th of this month, but there was no supporting link to go with that. I was skeptical, because I assume many tech businesses pretty much shut down for the last 2 weeks of the year. Thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We were told could be as late as Feb or March of next year and this is from our contacts at Authorized Intel Channel Distribution.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For your workflows, I'd say going with the x99 platform is a no-brainer.

Both systems would likely preform similarly with the 5820k having the edge, but the x99 has so much more grow room and frankly you may want that for your intended workflows. Its more than lanes - its memory channels and CPU options too.

Suggest:

- go w/ x99

- purchase 4x8GB sticks (32GB) with memory that is compatible with 4 similar sticks that could take it to 64GB (IE loves RAM)

- purchase the i7-5820k at a local store that accepts returns (Micro Center, Fry's, etc.) and make sure that you will be happy with a 6-core rig

- or, purchase the 5820k now and know that you can upgrade later with the same mb/RAM/etc to a more powerful CPU

- consider a GTX 970 (or better) too; I've not done any A/B testing with 950, 960, 970 cards, but I can say that Adobe CC just seems to use more and more GPU processing with newer software releases; my GTX Titan will hit 40% during playback at times with 4k workflows and renders to DVD can approach 100% GPU usage

You don't state what 4k you will be using and it does make a difference. RED 4k for example is quite a bit more taxing to edit than consumer 4k media (Sony AX100, etc.).

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jim. That makes some sense to me. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it, because I had really been aiming for a Skylake build. (I've bought everything but CPU & mobo, *including* 2x16GB sticks, which I'd have to return if I go with an x99 board.) I think my reluctance is based mainly on two things: The power/heat (ambient indoor temps get very high here in the Summer, so I'm slightly worried about a moderate overclocking of a 5820K), and whether the faster 6700K wouldn't be better for Warp Stablizer (which I assume is single-threaded -- but perhaps I'm wrong).

It's consumer 4K: Panasonic GH4.

And the main reason I was thinking about a cheaper GTX 960 is because (as I mentioned in the OP), I had originally planned to not even buy a card with the 6700K until a Pascal-based solution becomes available next year. But maybe I should just go all in now and be done with it. Decisions, decisions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how this ended up in the Premiere Pro community; sometimes I'm such an idiot. No wonder no one could tell me about my 3 specific areas of concern (Warp Stabilizer, rendering in AE or AME, and preview framerates).

I meant to put this in the AE forum. Is there any way for me to move it? Perhaps there's an admin lurking who might have such power?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm currently looking at building a new PC for video and photo editing and am having the exact same questions roll through my head - 5820 v 6700?

Can I ask what you decided in the end and how it is working out?

Thanks

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....you may want to wait for Broadwell E coming out soon......the expensive "flagship" 6950X will have  TEN cores and a 25MB cache !!   The mid-level CPUs should be available with 8 cores and even will possibly outperform the current 5960X Haswell E at a much cheaper price.

The 5820K has too few PCI lanes .....you are better off with the 5830K if you have to buy right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 5820K has too few PCI lanes .....you are better off with the 5930K if you have to buy right now.

i find no logic with this statement...

the 5820k's 28 lanes can run up to 4 cards/devices, and more cards on the pch lanes. i doubt the majority of people here need more.

with cheaper entry level motherboards that don't support more than 3-4 devices, even with the 5930k, the 5930k can become wasted money.

someone that needs the 5930k for 5+ devices will probably have a build cost between $3-4k, and should spend 10% more for the much faster 5960x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks for the info - do you recommend the 5830K over the 6700K for video and photo editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the 5930k and 5820k once overclocked are the same speed. the 5930k costs 50% more for its pcie lanes.

it can also cost more for a motherboard that properly uses the pcie lanes of the 5930k.

the 5820k/5930k/5960x are better for video editing, the i7-6700k would be enough if only doing HD video editing and photo editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah thanks, so you think a slightly overclocked 5820K would do 4K editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the 5820k/5930k will do basic 4k editing, complex 4k media/timelines would be better on the 5960x or better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....I stated that the 5930K may be better because of the extra Gen. 3 PCI lanes it provides.  If you ever WERE to use 2  high  quality video cards in your machine, THAT would take up 32 lanes right there with them running at full speed, ( 16x each) !!  Not to mention any PCI SSDs that are the high speed future of storage that many are using NOW !!   28 lanes would LIMIT you to one GPU operating at full speed at 16x speed, and a second would be reduced to 8x speed, leaving you with just 4 lanes. If you are SURE you are only going to use one GPU, then 28 lanes should be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I've been thinking about the lane difference between the 5920 and 5930 but concluded that because I won't be gaming, instead video editing, one 6GB graphics card should be plenty. If as time passes this proves not to be the case I could perhaps upgrade the graphics card to a 12GB version rather than adding another one - do you think that might work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

.....soon, the NVidia pascal GPUs will be out and they are already being touted as a huge improvemen over the current GPUs....they will feature more memory and a higher clock speed.....and a greater throughput as well.  I am waiting for the Broadwell E to come out, along with the Pascal.  The truth is that everytime you turn around, what ever you bought becomes overtaken by new hardware in a relatively fast amunt of time....

...a single Pascal should be plenty.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another consideration... according to what I've read, buying or building a SKYLAKE computer means Windows 10 only, Microsoft support for Win7 or Win8 is going away

Latest Microsoft PR fail: New PCs don’t support Windows 7, nor 8.1 [smh] | Computerworld

Microsoft says new processors will only work with Windows 10 | The Verge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest Z170 chipsets for Skylake processors have Windows 7 and 8.1 drivers, no problem.

Microsoft just wants to scare people into 'upgrading' to Windows 10.   But there are many negative aspects to Windows 10:

-forced updates, whenever Microsoft feels like it

-spying/tracking that cannot be fully disabled

-Windows Media Center function has been removed

-new Edge browser is inferior to Chrome/Firefox

You could be working on a very important project for a client, when a forced update for Windows 10 screws-up your computer.   It can happen, it already has happened:

Windows 10 Warning: Latest Updates Are Crashing PCs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines