Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

i9-9900 vs i9-7940x for Premiere and a little after effects

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everybody,

I'm looking at getting a new processor, motherboard, cooler.  But my question is which processor would be better to get?  I know higher clock scores are good but so is having more cores from what I understand, but at the end is buying the 9740 worth it?  I have no problem spending the money but rather see what the real world worker thinks.

My content is mostly shot with an Inspire 2 X5S camera and I generally shoot 4096 or 3840 mov or mp4.  I've thought about getting the prores or CinemaDNG licenses but currently, don't have that licensing since I've not needed it yet....

I do use After Effects a little bit but nothing major.

So what are peoples thoughts on what might be best or is there something else out there that might be better?  I rather use Intel but know the Threadripper is a good option as well.

Thanks for the help!

[Moderator note: moved to best forum.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question!

First off, After Effects currently is all about clock speed on a single chip. GPU plays a part in some operations but most of AE is single core CPU driven. Nothing on AE is multiprocessor aware.

PremierePro can definitely gain from multiple processors and higher clock speeds.

I would certainly look at AMD Ryzen CPUs. The cost to performance ratio is much better.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve, what would you recommend for a budget of around $1,200 give or take?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would buy the fastest clock speed you can get along with a fair amount of cores (8 minimum). Clock speeds generally go down as you add more cores.

If I was building a Prp and AE systems, the Ryzen 7 3800 looks like a great deal

Ryzenâ„¢ 7 Processors | AMD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines