• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

imac pro for premiere

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, it is worth choosing what imac pro to buy for installation in the premiere:

8-Core Xeon W 3.2GHz / 64Gb / 2TB SSD / Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16GB

or

10-Core Xeon W 3.0GHz / 64Gb / 2TB SSD / Radeon Pro Vega 56 with 8GB

which is better for the premiere? more cores or a video card?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if there is an I7 version of the imac pro you would be better off with that then the xeons.  The video cards are barely used unless rendering gpu intensive effects in your timeline.  I have a precision workstation with dual xeons for a total of 24 cores and a 8gb quadro card and I i7 5820 mobile workstation with 2gb quadro card runs circles around the desktop.  The high amount of video ram does help with scrubbing the timeline on high resolution i can say though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, there is none. Only Xeons are currently available for the iMac Pro. Although both the i7/i9 X-series CPUs and the Xeon W-series CPUs use Socket LGA 2066, the workstation-class chipset that the iMac Pro uses may not be fully compatible with the i7 or i9 CPUs.

With that said, it's a tough decision between those two: You either gain total number of cores/threads or total all-core turbo clock speed, but not both. And Adobe Premiere Pro currently continues to perform worse in both OpenCL and MetAL than in CUDA (which only discrete nVidia GPUs support). And AMD continues to supply Apple with drivers whose OpenCL support is broken. This may change with the next MAJOR release of Premiere Pro CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It totally depends on your footage and project types:

If you are doing grading and use 4K and beyond footage, a powerful GPU and more vRAM is preferred.

If you are doing effects (After Effects) and your footage is HD a powerful CPU and more RAM is preferred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in similar purchasing decision loop: to build a cheap i7 8700k or an X Series system or lease an iMac Pro which I feel is not optimized for Premiere Pro at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 10 core iMac pro. Adobe doesn’t seem to support multi core processing. Save your money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jsyboy75  wrote

I have a 10 core iMac pro. Adobe doesn’t seem to support multi core processing. Save your money.

Actually, you've reached into the law of diminishing returns, in this case. In Premiere Pro, there is a noticeable performance difference between a 4-core CPU and an 8-core CPU. Your response seems to imply that a system with a single-core, single-thread CPU performs as fast as or faster than a system with a multi-core, multi-threaded CPU at equal clock speeds, which is clearly not the case. I have tested such systems personally, and found that systems with CPUs that have only two physical cores but very high clock speeds perform significantly slower in Premiere Pro than systems with CPUs that have four physical cores but lower clock speeds.

By the way, some features that Adobe currently requires are being depreciated by Apple, beginning with the next version of OSX. Apple is planning to phase out OpenGL and OpenCL support beginning with OSX 10.14 - and if Adobe continues to require legacy OpenGL support just to run its CC apps, then future Adobe apps may not run at all on Apple systems without requiring a major rewrite of the program code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yay...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines