• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iMac Pro slow performance

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought a new 2017 iMac Pro, 3ghz 10core processor, 64 gb ram, 16 gb GPU. I set the new iMac Pro up next to my 2014 5K iMac 4 ghz quad processor, 32 gb RAM, 2 gb GPU and they literally had the same exactly playback with RAM preview. The iMac pro could not even play full resolution playback. Both set to 1/3 and they both stuttered in the same places. So I'm just wondering did I waste $7,000. My projects are mostly animations with characters from high res photoshop files. Please help! Thank you!!!

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm not sure if y'all will see this, but did Adobe ever fix this issue for you? I just receieved a new iMac Pro and my premiere is lagging so bad that it's basically unusable. I know this is two years later so I'm worried it could be two more years until a fix. Do y'all believe it's the multi-core prossesor? Should I return this Mac while I can for a computer with less cores?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem. I've been using a secondary monitor connected to one of the new USBC port using an adapter. As soon as I changed the connection to another port, AE and Cinema 4D started to work as expected. I don't know if this is the same environment as the one you are using, but for those of you using 2 monitors, try to change the connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I’ve researched, most effects, including warp stabilizer only use one-two cores, so warp stabilizer does not benefit from additional cores. But there are other effects that do, and some that are even GPU accelerated. Still wish overall performance, including playback was faster with added cores. I usually do have a cont monitor connected, I turn it off and on constantly while working and AE seems the same. Playback Performance on my two iMacs is the same also, wit or without the added cintiq.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also just bought the 2017 iMac Pro, 3ghz 10core processor, 64 gb ram, 16 gb GPU and wow After Effects is not benefitting from the power of this machine.

Having all the same problems as above but the most laughable was when I went to adjust the tracking of some plain old text. Laggy and highly time-consuming. Adjusting just small amounts I'd have to wait at least 2-3 secs before seeing the adjustment happen - WTF? My late 2012 MBP is instant...

Could someone else test this out please to make sure I'm not going crazy...

Here's a quick test video I uploaded, this is actually the fastest I could get the changes to react: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lllIQ-4r6FnTFlg7k195PHNxmh7vu4CP

So far the only benefit to this machine is editing but primarily being a motion designer / 3D artist I'm very disappointed so far. After Effects has no major speed increases apart from render times. Ram preview does NOT fill up any faster than my late 2012 MBP that I can see. C4D experiences lag in the interface. Some improvements are evident like viewport speedup with some instances and render times but I've not been on a 3D heavy project enough so far to really 100% comment on C4D as yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bradley,

I just tried with some text and it is instant for me, not sure if the other layers in your comp are affecting it? Maybe the size of your comp is larger than what I tested in, mine was 1920x1080? But I agree with everything else you said. The reason I bought mine was for faster playback RAM preview performance, and its the same as my 2014 iMac. Only advantage I've had so far is also with rendering, but its not a $7000 difference. sucks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All other layers had been eyeballed off.

Found one difference and that the FAUX BOLD option. For some reason on the iMac Pro that creates the major lag on whereas my MBP is silky smooth...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try making a time-lapse with still jpegs in Premiere - appalling. No faster than a 2011 iMac...not impressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased the 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16GB Ram and 575.4 GB GPU or the Imac UnPro...I guess you could call it!

Anyway, experiencing the same issues using Adobe CC and most of my work is in print, web and 3D.  I have a 2011 Imac 2.9 GHZ with 32GB Memory that's still runs just about as good as my new Imac. Going to add more RAM but disappointed to say the least!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went from 32 gb of RAM to 64 and saw no difference in RAM preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is about to release all new CC updates today for this year's NAB show in Vegas. Maybe we'll see some improvements in performance. I am waiting for the updates to become available and to try them on my iMac Pro (8-core, 64GB, 16GB).

Adobe is featuring MACS-only in all of their PR videos demonstrating new features and workflows. You'd think they'd make sure their apps perform really well on these stylish machines.

Is anyone attending NAB this year? Would be a great opportunity to talk to Adobe and ask them what's going on with their lack of support for the multicore iMac Pro and - let's not forget - the upcoming totally redesigned Mac Pro, which will also feature powerful multi-core CPUs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw that, I'm excited to try the update out! I specifically mentioned to them I would like a faster puppet tool, and I see its listed as a new feature. Maybe they are listening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing Markus! I'm confident Adobe will get it right as they are very in-tune with their customers...they are definitely listening! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't anticipating attending NAB but I see it's in Vegas....could be a nice trip that I could write off on taxes lol.

Thanks for sharing! This has been a great forum and I hope that if Adobe doesn't achieve what we expect them to, that we all stay on them about it! I think we've all spent way too much $$$ on processing power to not have it pay off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I invested in the iMac pro for one major job - if Adobe don’t update the software I’ll use FCPX for that gig. Not a fan of FCPX but if it’s faster then it’s the only option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to 15.1.0 and can see a slightly quicker preview rendering - but still lightyears from what I would have hoped for.
Now it's running smooth on a thirds resolution (1080) on a project that laged yesterday. In full quality the render time is painfully slow. The CPU is 80% idle during the preview render - feels like I've invested in a top of the line racing car and Adobe has put a 20 mph speed limit on it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just opened the newest AE update, and play back is the same speed for animation with the puppet tool. Still in 1/3 resolution, and that's barely playing on 10 core iMac pro. Those of you that use premiere, have you noticed it is slower in this newest patch? When I do any action like cut a clip, or right click and delete ripple, there is like a half second delay between every action. UGH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think I'll give the Premiere update a miss then for now. It doesn't mention any support for multi core rendering in the 'what's new' text anyway. But at least there's auto ducking for music...so there's that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The more cores and lower GhZ the slower AE will get. my OLD quad core imac performed better than my previous 6 core PC. and my 6 core PC performed better than my current 16 core PC. AE is the only program that feels less optimized for every new modern fast machine. Only way to get fast AE is to buy a overclocked low core gamer rig or a standard 4 core iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same machine but with 40gb ram. Same story too.

What gives, Adobe?

My livelihood depends on your software, that costs me over $70AUD/month, and it barely even gets the job done.

Have been a full-time adobe user since CS4 - and it seemingly is only going downhill, not improving...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh that is strange, maybe AE hasn't fully been optimized for iMac pro yet, but still lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hell, AE hasn't been optimized for ANYTHING yet.  Except generating some income for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone got any experience with the 8 core iMac Pro for AE animation? Does it fair better than the 10?

Also, is the Vega 56 adequate for AE animation? Seeing as AE doesn't use the GPU much, is the Vega 64 not going to make much difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done significant testing with AE and performance. Its pretty much all about your GPU and CPU clockspeed, since AE hardly use any CPU cores at all (sadly). So single core clockspeed is all that matters, for responsiveness. If I overclock my PC from 3.8 to 4 ghz I actually notice a big difference in AE previewing and scrubbing and UI latency. And if you can get a GhZ up to 5 it would have meant a GREAT deal to AE responsiveness.
When I work in AE on my 16 core CPU beast, the machine pretty much idles when I work or render. optimally AE manages to use around 10% of my CPU performance, but usually it idles around 5%. But the clockspeed matters for UI responsiveness and live preview which improves the experience when working. Sadly this is just how badly optimized AE is, so an iMac Pro in general is a bad match with AE.

Its as simple as this: the more cores/lower clock speed = the worse experience you will have in AE. So if you are going to buy an iMac Pro for AE alone, or AE and premiere, pay for clockspeed and save money on cores.

Pudget Systems have really good benchmark testings for AE and a good place to read about what is good for the program. And in general the cheaper gamer rigs are the best option.

To your question about the iMac pro, since the 10 core has higher turboboost and slightly lower clockspeed I assume there will not be much difference. The current standard (not pro) 27" imac with the 4.2ghz and 4.5 turboboost would actually give you better performance in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. You mention that the GPU clock speed is important? I thought GPU was not very important with AE?

Would be good to get info on how the 8 and 10 core Xeons compare to each other for AE work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU is important and getting more and more important with every AE update. AE said a few years back that they would keep an high focus on optimizing AE, that was the same time they removed Multi Core rendering. Currently after that, most speed improvements they have done (which isn't a lot in my personal opinion) are GPU based. Like Lumetri Colors (GPU), box blur (GPU), Motion Blur (GPU), etc etc... This update with the grain is the first time I read a speed improvement that is actual core dependent.
Also software like Element 3D and other 3d and particle plugins are GPU dependent.

8-10 core xeons imac pro, I cannot give you that info since I don't own one. I think I would go for the 10 core, since it has only 2 more cores and a higher clockboost, it seems like a CPU that is more boosted and therefor better for AE. If your machine is primarily used for Adobe programs I would consider not buying a Xeon based machine though, as those CPUs are really not optimal for Adobe programs and very expensive. But are you doing 3d, FCPX or other things that utilize the cores, then the 10 core is a good inbetweener. the 18 core iMac Pro on the other hand would be a disaster if only bought for Adobe usage (same as Mac pro was/is), crazy expensive for lower performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines