• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac recommendation for editing Virtual Reality

New Here ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently using a 2012 iMac 27-inch 3.2 GHz i5, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB.

It has not been cutting it in Premiere in general anymore, and with VR, it won't render or export transitions, even though I have GPU Acceleration enabled. So I think it's time to upgrade.

I'm wondering what the recommendations out there are? I am locked into buying a Mac through work, but that is my only constraint. What do you guys recommend is needed? The baseline, and then for optimal performance?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

The Imac Pro with the 10 Core and 64GB of ram would be the only real good option with the Mac requirement. The budget would decide what options you have beyond that. The regular Imac would handle some of the lower compression media such as DNX or Pro Res ok. H264 would likely tax the regular Imac with any 4K media if you needed to edit 4K in 360. What media do you work with?

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Imac Pro with the 10 Core and 64GB of ram would be the only real good option with the Mac requirement. The budget would decide what options you have beyond that. The regular Imac would handle some of the lower compression media such as DNX or Pro Res ok. H264 would likely tax the regular Imac with any 4K media if you needed to edit 4K in 360. What media do you work with?

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, I'm working with media shot on the GoPro Fusion, which is in 5.2K, MP4/H.264. Not on the topic of premiere pro, but I also need a computer that is going to do the stitching in the GoPro Fusion studio faster than my current one does.

I also shoot with the Sony A7R II, in AVCHD H.264. But those are not 360, and I rotate between shooting in 4K and 1080p.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you stitch to Cineform with Go Pro Fusion Studio then the regular Imac with the i7 4.2GHz, 64GB, 512GB SSD OS Drive and external TB SSD storage would be solid. The Imac Pro would still be the better buy at this point but more expensive. H264 does not handle 4K efficiently so most systems struggle with playing that back realtime especially in 360. Use the Cineform stitch option and the performance will be better.

Eric

ADK 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, Cineform is a great suggestion.

So, it seems like, on the lowest end, I could go with the iMac i7 that you recommended.

Would you say the iMac Pro 10 core on the high end, or is that more of the middle of the road option to take?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Imac Pro would be the high end since Mac is the requirement.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines