• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MacPro or iMac for DSLR/GoPro platform?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question is which of the following I should invest in...

(a) a 3.1 GHz quad-core Intel core i5 iMac with 16 GB memory??

or

(b) a 3.7 GHz quad-core Intel Xeon E5 Mac Pro desktop with 12 GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory??

Firstly, I edit with Premiere Pro CC.

I shoot on a DSLR platform and am looking at investing, also, in one of these Atomos monitors that record raw / ProRes (?)  signals from something like a Canon 5D Mk III.

I plan to shoot the occasional 4K video using a GoPro camera, but would immediately crop/convert it for edit and output to 1080p.  I plan to also use my GoPro to shoot 1080p video at up to 120 fps.

I do light 2D effects with After Effects (mainly titles and green screen), but no 3D rendering whatsoever.

Output would be no greater than 1080p.

Lastly, I would need to connect two monitors and an external drive with FW800 or USB 3.0.

Is the Mac Pro required for the work described above, or could I get away with the iMac?  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

An iMac is going to handle that just fine, be it an i5 or an i7.  I'd opt for a little bit more RAM (24Gb or the 32GB maximum).

You're looking at a 27-inch model, correct?  Those still allow you to add more RAM via a small door in the back.  If you're looking at the 21.5-inch, you'll need to buy it with the desired amount of RAM from the start.

You'll be able to connect a second display via a Thunderbolt/DisplayPort Mini adapter (I usually buy mine from monoprice.com).  If you go with a Thunderbol

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An iMac is going to handle that just fine, be it an i5 or an i7.  I'd opt for a little bit more RAM (24Gb or the 32GB maximum).

You're looking at a 27-inch model, correct?  Those still allow you to add more RAM via a small door in the back.  If you're looking at the 21.5-inch, you'll need to buy it with the desired amount of RAM from the start.

You'll be able to connect a second display via a Thunderbolt/DisplayPort Mini adapter (I usually buy mine from monoprice.com).  If you go with a Thunderbolt display, you can daisy chain two Thunderbolt displays via one Thunderbolt port (although, Apple discontinued their Thunderbolt display).  If you go with a non-Thunderbolt display, you can connect two but they'll each take up a Thunderbolt port and there are only two to begin with.

Here are the Apple specs for connecting displays: About Thunderbolt ports and displays - Apple Support

You're good on USB3 ports with the iMac and you'll need a Thunderbolt to FireWire800 adapter from Apple.

The upside of the MacPro tower (if it won't break you budget) is that it'll do everything that the iMac will do, but faster; however, for what you've described, the iMac should be a good machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great - thanks for the advice, Warren!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines