Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New hardware configuration for Premiere Pro

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I hope I'm in the right place here when looking for suggestions for a new PC hardware upgrade.

WIth my Panasonic GH4 I film clips with the following specs.

.MP4

3328 x 2496px
60 fps
145Mbit/s

For smoother playback in Adobe Premiere I already work with proxies. But when I have several clips stacked and use effects then it jerks.

Here is my current setup:

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GDDR5
16 GB DDR3 RAM
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB for Adobe Premiere Pro installation
Samsung SSD 850 EVO for Adobe Projects and Proxies
2x Seagate Barracuda 4 TB HDD for original video files

So now I'm thinking about upgrading my PC with an Intel Core i7-13700K.
Would you suggest this CPU too?

How about faster NVMe M.2 SSD(s) like the Samsung 990 Pro?
And/or DDR5-6000 RAM?
Should the GPU also be replaced?

Big thanks for your help and have a nice weekend
Tim

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Video Hardware forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GPU should also be replaced. That GTX 1050 Ti is much too weak for your planned i7-13700K. In fact, it is a "proper" performance match to only a Celeron G6900, a very-low-end 2-core/2-thread CPU based on the 12th-Gen intel CPU architecture.

Unfortunately, you may have to spend almost $1,000 USD, if not more, just to get a GPU by itself that won't bottleneck the i7-13700K. And that's on top of the cost of all of the other new parts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. So a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 12GB for 600€ wouldn't be enough to have the advantage of the i7-13700K compared to a cheaper CPU like the Intel Core i7 12700K or Intel i5-13600K?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The RTX 4070 is definitely fast enough for most modern CPUs. The only possible exceptions would be a 13th- or 14th-Gen i9 – but since you're going with an i7, you won't have much to worry about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Panasonic GH4, I'd record at one of the 50 mbits/second modes or higher (ideally 100 or 200), copy those files to a folder named "Camera Originals" and then transcode to ProRes 422 LT for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.  With transcoding you mean the proxy function of Adobe Premiere? I already collected and sorted thousands clips in one big project and would take me some days to replace them. But just changing the proxy settings and making new proxies shouldn't take so long 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines