• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PC Configuration for 2024

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. This topic has come up before, but things change so much, so I am posing a question to get current thoughts.  My son is putting together a desktop PC for video editing. He will be graduating college soon and will start looking for freelance work. He will be using Premiere, AfterEffects, and Photoshop. I am a Mac person, and cannot advise him well. Based on our budget of $2500, this is what we are looking at so far.
Comments? Warnings? Suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any help.

HP OMEN 40L 

Windows 11 Home 64 ADV

AMD Ryzen™ 7 7700X RGB Liquid Cooler (up to 5.3 GHz max boost clock, 32 MB L3 cache, 8 cores, 16 threads)

Kingston FURY 64 GB DDR5-5200 MHz XMP RGB Heatsink RAM (4 x 16 GB)

2 TB WD Black PCIe® Gen4 TLC M.2 SSD

AMD Radeon™ RX 6600XT Graphics (8 GB GDDR6 dedicated)

Front Bezel Black Glass with 800 W 80 Plus Gold certified ATX power supply

Realtek RTL8852BE Wi-Fi 6 (2x2) and Bluetooth:registered: 5.3 combo

TOPICS
CPU , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not 100% current, but may help
https://community.adobe.com/t5/video-hardware/premiere-pro-hardware-articles-to-read-before-you-buy-...

I use Intel & nVidia so can't comment on those choices... what I built works very well for me

Studio driver version 511.09 Download/Install 01-18-2022
motherboard automatically turned integrated Intel video off when installed GTX
TEAMGROUP 512Gig SSD for Windows and programs and usual MS Office Documents files
500Gig SSD Temporary work files and output when creating new video files
1T SSD Video and sound files from camera and other sources
January 2021 total with tax and shipping was $2,103 (cost IS now higher!)
ALSO some of these components MAY be replaced by newer models

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John T. for the extensive material.  My wording may have been inaccurate. We are actually looking at a pre-built PC with options, having no experience building one ourselves. But your links give us lots to look into and will help inform us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One major problem:

Too little GPU. The RX 6600 XT is too weak for that newer-gen 8-core CPU. In fact, it is enough of a mismatch to the performance of that 7700X that the GPU will cause some bottlenecking of the CPU's performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. Other options are:

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4060 Ti (8 GB GDDR6X dedicated)

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4070 (12 GB GDDR6X dedicated)

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3080 (10 GB GDDR6X dedicated) with LHR, Display Connectors: HDMI*1, DP*3

Would any of these fare better, or would the

AMD Ryzen™ 5 7600X RGB Liquid Cooler (up to 5.3 GHz max boost clock, 32 MB L3 cache, 6 cores, 12 threads)

be a better pairing with the 6600?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either the 4070 or the 3080, whichever is less expensive as an upgrade in that custom-configured PC.

As for the RX 6600 XT that's originally in the base configuration, for Premiere Pro it is too weak even for the Ryzen 5 7600X. In fact, I'd dare say that it is performance-balanced only to a 6- or 7-year-old quad-core CPU - and then, the GPU will become slightly bottlenecked by the older PCs' PCIe 3.0 interface as the RX 6600 XT (and also the RTX 4060 Ti) do not electrically utilize the full 16 lanes of any PCIe slot (they are restricted to only eight PCIe lanes), making them more sensitive to lower slot throughput than higher-end GPUs are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for taking the time to address this.

If I trade off the 2TB to a 1TB SSD, I can move some money to GPU and pair the Ryzen 7 7700X with the NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4070 (12 GB GDDR6X dedicated),  (or the 3080 if that will perform better?), resulting in:

• AMD Ryzen™ 7 7700X RGB Liquid Cooler (up to 5.3 GHz max boost clock, 32 MB L3 cache, 8 cores, 16 threads)
  • 1 TB WD Black PCIe® Gen4 TLC M.2 SSD
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4070 (12 GB GDDR6X dedicated)
  • Front Bezel Black Glass with 800 W 80 Plus Gold certified ATX power supply.

Additionally, I could go with

• Kingston FURY 32 GB RAM (2 x 16 GB)

instead of

• Kingston FURY 64 GB RAM (4 x 16 GB)

and add RAM down the line if needed.

Again, I appreciate your help with this and won't bother you much more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines