Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere timeline performance / New Rig

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, guys!

First of all Im really sorry for my English, my native language is Latvian.

I did a bit of searching in this forum but couldn't find a proper answer. Im really hoping tha someone can help me here with advice.

My problem is timeline performance in premiere 2017. Recently I build a new rig, invested some money, but Im not happy with my results. Rendering is fine, but the timeline problems are very noticable. For example. Im editing the Mavic Air 4k 30fps footage in my premiere and when Im starting to apply adjustment layers my timeline performace starts to get very laggy. For example, when Im applying the luts or some other colour adjustments.

My specs are:

Ryzen 1700 / overclocked to 3,6Mhz

Gtx 1070

Corsair vengeance 3200mhz 16gb

Ssd m2 Samsung Evo

Freshly reinstalled win 10

Im suspecious that my CPU is the problem. When I hit the task manager it shows my CPU is nearly 100% bussy in playback time. The playback with applied luts is very laggy like Im watching the slideshow. I wonder how can it be because I read a good reviews of my ryzen. Is there anything I can do to improve?

Or the ryzen 1700 is crap for video editing especialy for timeline performance?

What should I do? Replace the CPU? Which one I should choose? Go for intel? Which one? If I go for intel that means I need to change my motherboard as weel and that would be expensive... or should I choose a better AMD socket CPU?

Sorry for that many questions... hopefully someone have some experience and can help me.

Thank you!

Regards, Aigars!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have the same exact question and would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem doesn't have anything to do with the CPU, it's the GPU that can't handle the load and non existent optimizations for decent color grading performance in Adobe.

Take that footage and try to do the same color grade in Davinci Resolve, i bet you won't encounter a dropped frame.

From my experience, when i apply 2 instances of Lumetri with masks Premiere is  dead on 4k from drones, i have to drop to 1/2 or 1/4.

In Davinci Resolve i run out of ideas before i hit a performance wall, it will probably break down with 6k or 8k footage but i don't shoot RED or anything exotic.

Change the software and everything will work, your hardware is perfectly adequate to handle 4k.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seen lots of reports that premiere is a bit hopeless with AMD prcessors. Which is a bummer because id love me a threadripper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you guys for the replys. I appreciate your answers and wil keep in my mind.

I guess there is no reason to change the CPU at the moment. At some point I was ready to switch to newer ryzen like 2700X to improve timeline performance, but I have no clear answer if that would work because possibly its software problems.

Does Intel CPU (in that budget class) suffer from same problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines