Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recommendations for Fasting Video Editing Experience

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Everyone!

I'm a video editor and would like for anyone out there who is knowledgeable to share their recommendations for an ideal video editing setup.

I use a laptop computer to do all of my multimedia work. The model and specs of my computer are as follows:

HP Spectre x360 Convertible

Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
Installed RAM: 16.0 GB (15.6 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Intel Iris Xe Graphics

What would you guys recommend I purchase or incoporate into my computer setup that will enable me to have the SMOOTHEST and/or FASTEST video editing experience with 4K footage? I am aware of the popular method of creating proxies which is definitely a lifesaver, and I was curious if there are any additional tips and tricks to further minimize any type of lagging or choppy playback when scrubbing through footage in the timeline in Premiere Pro.  When I scrub through footage and jump around in the timeline, I would like the playback and responsiveness to be as smooth as absolutely possible, I don't care what I need to buy or how much it will cost.

Also, I have noticed that if I am creating graphics in Adobe Photoshop while simultaneously running Premiere Pro, programs can begin to slow down or start to freeze up when I am trying to navigate through different windows or file folders. What can I do to improve the system performance speed when I am doing intensive graphics work in multiple programs?

Thank you for all of your feedback!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

There is an Adobe forum specifically for video hardware, look in their main list.

In general Intel CPUs with their QuickSync option is preferred if doing much H.264/5 long-GOP work. Although some of the newer AMD CPUs may have h.264 capabilities now, definitely something to check if you do much of that.

12-16 fully utilized cores or above, though not many video editing tasks are coded for more than 12 cores I think.

At least 32GB of RAM.

And C drive for programs/OS on an Nvme SSD drive is a huge

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

That workflow demands a newer, more powerful PC. You see, that Tiger Lake i7 has only four physical CPU cores (albeit with Hyper Threading, so eight processing threads), while that laptop has neither a discrete GPU nor any provision at all whatsoever to even add one (even an external one). Those two combine to make it worse than even a base-model M1 MacBook Air (yes, in its very base configuration with only a 7-core GPU and 8 GB of RAM) when it comes to performance in Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an Adobe forum specifically for video hardware, look in their main list.

In general Intel CPUs with their QuickSync option is preferred if doing much H.264/5 long-GOP work. Although some of the newer AMD CPUs may have h.264 capabilities now, definitely something to check if you do much of that.

12-16 fully utilized cores or above, though not many video editing tasks are coded for more than 12 cores I think.

At least 32GB of RAM.

And C drive for programs/OS on an Nvme SSD drive is a huge boost. All my cache files are on a second Nvme drive in my desktop.

3000 series Nvidia or equivalent AMD GPU. Though Adobe apps in general seem more suited for Nvidia cards still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved from the Premiere Pro forum to the Video Hardware forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That workflow demands a newer, more powerful PC. You see, that Tiger Lake i7 has only four physical CPU cores (albeit with Hyper Threading, so eight processing threads), while that laptop has neither a discrete GPU nor any provision at all whatsoever to even add one (even an external one). Those two combine to make it worse than even a base-model M1 MacBook Air (yes, in its very base configuration with only a 7-core GPU and 8 GB of RAM) when it comes to performance in Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines