• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SOLVED: Do not clean-install the 31.0.101.3430 or newer Intel graphics driver!

LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This driver version was just released on September 27. This driver completely broke Intel's QuickSync capability on the 11th- and 12th-Gen CPUs. I tested my i7-12700K system wih this IGPU driver (all other components remaining the same, including the discrete GeForce RTX 2060 super with its latest driver), and discovered that my system's PugetBench scores have plummeted severely. It failed to even score above 900 using the Standard preset, whereas with the previous Intel graphics driver version 31.0.101.3413 I regularly achieved scores above 1250 with the same Standard preset.

I looked at the raw scores, and found that the playback scores for H.264 and HEVC plummeted with the 3430 driver as compared to those I achieved with the 3413 driver.

With QuickSync effectively disabled with the 3430 driver, my scores are very much on a par with my old AMD Ryzen 9 5900X using the same hardware components.

Again, this is a warning to Intel users.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Problem is solved. If someone must update the Intel DCH driver to version 3430 or later, then please install that on top of the existing OEM-specific Intel DCH driver (ideally, the most recent version that's available from the motherboard brand's Web site - in my particular case with an MSI motherboard, it's the 3302 version). Do not clean-install the generic Intel DCH driver since that will assume that one does not have the integrated Intel graphics enabled at all when a discrete GPU is also in

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked the Windows task manager as I ran the 4k H.264 timeline playback portion of PugetBench. With the 31.0.101.3413 driver, there was significant usage of the Intel IGPU while my RTX 2060 SUPER was also being utilized. But with the 31.0.101.3430 driver there was absolutely zero usage at all whatsoever of the Intel IGPU while my RTX 2060 SUPER was maxed out during that same test. And from my experience NVDEC just doesn't perform as well as Quick Sync for H.264 decodes.

In other words, installing the 31.0.101.3430 driver from Intel effectively turned my i7-12700K into an i7-12700KF whenever a discrete GPU is installed.

Hence, my warning in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.

Good news: I have not installed the "bad" driver.

Bad news: I have not installed any updates since last January. I think version 2713 or so.

Note to self: update drivers....

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note to self: update drivers....

Stan

By @Stan Jones

If it isn't broken...

Don't fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Only when a forced update -Intel driver or Premiere Pro - is installed should one worry.

At least I was able to roll back to the 31.0.101.3413 driver (the one that came right before the 31.0.101.3430 update).

To Stan Jones:

There is no 2713 driver version at all that's compatible with the 11th-Gen or newer CPUs. There is a version 1273 driver that's compatible with all 6th-Gen and newer CPUs. Intel has reserved the entire 2000-series block for legacy 6th-through 10th-Gen CPUs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> There is a version 1273 driver that's compatible with all 6th-Gen and newer CPUs.

Yes, its the 1273.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> If it isn't broken...

I hear that. It might be....

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my Intel Driver Update utility, a new driver version 31.0.101.3490 popped up a few days ago. This driver was released on October 11, and is intended for the new discrete Intel Arc A700 series GPUs, but is also compatible with the integrated graphics inside an 11th-Gen or later Intel CPU. Thankfully, this fixed the broken QuickSync that the 31.0.101.3430 driver had broken to begin with.

Intel is now working on beta driver versions with version numbers in the 3600s. And the 13th-Gen (Raptor Lake) CPUs are about to be released. With all this testing, future unified drivers will support all of the recent Intel graphics processors and GPUs - the discrete Arc A-series GPUs and the 11th-Gen and newer Intel CPUs - in one release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update on the driver situation:

The 3490 driver wasn't really designed for integrated graphics - but it, instead, is more specifically for the discrete Intel Arc Graphics cards. Intel has since released two IGP-specific drivers, the 3729 and now the 3790 - both of whose QuickSync hardware decoding support is still broken when used with a discrete GPU. I had to use the MSI motherboard-optimized version of Intel driver 3302 in order to regain QuickSync with a discrete GPU installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Problem is solved. If someone must update the Intel DCH driver to version 3430 or later, then please install that on top of the existing OEM-specific Intel DCH driver (ideally, the most recent version that's available from the motherboard brand's Web site - in my particular case with an MSI motherboard, it's the 3302 version). Do not clean-install the generic Intel DCH driver since that will assume that one does not have the integrated Intel graphics enabled at all when a discrete GPU is also installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines